guppykf

Eloy Bunkhouse, Team room or Hotel

I used the search feature and I came up with several discussions about this back in 2007 and prior and some discussions in another language, but as you know conditions can change over time sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.

So here's to hopefully getting some updated info:
I am heading to Eloy for a week middle of Febuary and am looking at the lodging options. could someone tell me the plus/minuses of the each of the following:
Bunkhouse, Team room, Skyrider Inn or other hotel. Basically I'm looking at experiences regarding cleanliness, value for the costs, quietness after the party is over, room for movability, etc.

Also, I called the shuttle service listed on Skydive AZ's website and it looks like they are much cheaper than renting a car. any opinions why someone would want a car instead of just taking the shuttle?

I see they have a resterant (I know I cant spell) onsite, so this should be good to go. any other in town eateries should I know about?

Okay here's a little different question. Last time I flew to a DZ I only stayed a couple days so I really was carrying mostly my rig stuff and 2 pairs of clothes. this trip I'm staying longer plus the temp change is estimated between 75 and 40 degrees; how in the heck do you pack for such a trip kwowing that you have to have warm and cool clothes, skydiving gear, personal hygiene, possibly linens etc.

Lastly, and most importantly who else will be there to hang, fly and party with week of Feb 16-20th?

I appreciate any helpful advice.
THRIVING IN MY DASH!!

I've stayed in the bunkhouse, in a 4-bunk teamroom, and at the Motel 6 in Casa Grande so I can comment on at least some of your options.

Bunkhouse:
Pros: It's cheap. It's pretty clean - you'll get clean linens upon checkin, and the bunk areas seem to be kept pretty clean. The cleanliness of the common room probably depends on who's there/how many people are there. When I've stayed at the bunkhouse it's been pretty empty, so the "room to move" hasn't been an issue. However, if it were completely full, I'm not sure I'd personally like staying there because then you end up with a lot less space for you and your stuff. You'll get a locker for your stuff and can share the fridge & microwave. The bunks have curtains on them so you can get a little privacy, too, which is nice.

Cons: noise - there's a lot of people in there, and even if they're all being quiet and respectful (and when does that happen?) they're still going to make noise and not everyone will be on the same sleep schedule. If you're a light sleeper it's probably not for you. Even though you have a locker, there's still not a huge amount of room to keep your stuff so pack efficiently.

Team room:
Pros: It's cheaper than a hotel and it's on the DZ, especially cheap if you're sharing it. I shared with my SO - with single bunks it's not exactly romantic accommodations, but they're comfortable enough. Cleanliness of the bunks is similar to the bunkhouse - you'll get clean linens when you check in. The cleanliness of the common space is up to you since you won't have to share with anyone (unless you choose to share with someone). With 4 people in there I could see it getting a little crowded, but with two, it's great. They have a mini-fridge and microwave, which is great if you want to save a little money on food by not eating every meal at the restaurant. You'll have a lot more room to keep your stuff secure than you would in the bunkhouse.

Cons: Like the bunkhouse, you're still sharing showers and bathrooms, but they're fine ... it's just a short walk to get to them. Depending on where your team room is it may be very close to the bar/restaurant, but in general they're quite a bit quieter than the bunkhouse.

As for a car - it can come in handy if you want to get off the dropzone to buy groceries or go out to eat somewhere other than the Bent Prop. But, there's usually enough people on the DZ with cars that if you get to know some people you can hook in with a group going out to dinner in Eloy or Casa Grande and if you're really nice they might make a stop at the grocery store for you.

Motel 6 in Casa Grande is a pretty typical Motel 6. Eh. I haven't stayed at any other local hotels to comment.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Krisanne gave a goog reviews of on site lodging.

The Skyrider Inn, as I understand, is pretty decent and clean, but it's expensive. It's designed/priced for sharing with a roomie, or a team. It's walking distance to the DZ.

The restaurant, the Bent Prop, is good enough. It wont win any AAA diamonds, but the food is decent, and the daily specials give some nice enough variety. It's the only option for food if you dont have a car or a lift to town for food tho. In town food options: A&M Pizza in Eloy (they do deliver to the DZ, and they are good!); Eva's mexican in Toltec; and quite a few options in Casa Grande.

Same for the lodging: all the other hotel will require a car to get to and from the DZ.

We normally stayed at the Hotel 6 when we spend the night, but, last time, we stayed at the Travel lodge, and were pleasantly surprised: newly renovated rooms. Pretty nice overall (for the area! lol).

Also, there are a few skydivers with rooms to rent who live in Eloy, Toltec, and the area. If you have a car, those would be a good, cheaper option than a hotel. PM me if you want more info.

Edit: for clothing, bring layers! It's the most versatile way to dress for varying weather, either in the air, or on the ground.
Remster

the temp change is estimated between 75 and 40 degrees; how in the heck do you pack for such a trip kwowing that you have to have warm and cool clothes, skydiving gear, personal hygiene, possibly linens etc.

You probably want to put your rig in a carry-on so you can keep an eye on it at all times. Not much else will fit in there, but do what you can.

Next, you probably only want to bring one suitcase to check on the flight because they charge you for that shit now. So find the biggest bag you want to haul around the airport (along with your carry-on) and stuff as much of your crap in there as you can.

Finally, take everything that is left, and put it in a box and ship it to the DZ. It will be waiting there for you when you arrive. be sure to include a small roll of packing tape and a return shipping label in the box, so when your trip is over you can re-box everything, seal and label the box, and put it with the DZs other out-going UPS packages (or FedEx, or USPS, or whatever).

If you opt to do the bunkhouse or team room and want a more private restroom and/or like to work out, there's a fitness center on the DZ. It's a bit of a walk from the bunkhouse but there's some workout equipment and a private shower in there. They take a deposit for the key and charge something very reasonable for use of the facilities (I can't remember if it's $1 or $2/day). That's the option I've always gone with b/c it's right beside the tent area.
I got nuthin

I've stayed in both the bunk house and the skyrider inn. The bunkhouse advantage is cost and proximity. At the Inn it is quieter, more comfortable, private. There is TV if that is a plus also. You would have a bit of a walk to the DZ if you don't rent a car. Next time I go out there I plan to stay at the inn.