ddettloff17

Winter Jumping in MI,OH,IL

As someone who grew up in sunny southern California, and who as an adult has lived in Tucson, AZ and Fort Worth, TX; I am curious...

What do you consider "nice" winter skydiving weather in the vicinity of the Great Lakes? My guess is that what is "nice" to you would be too nasty for me to be outdoors at all, let alone skydiving. ;)

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

If it is clear and the winds are not to high. The cold isn't that big of an issue. We jumped at Skydive Chicago on saturday for the closing weekend. The temps were the in the high 20's low 30's. It's cold but its always worth it haha. And i'm jealous you have CA. Never been there, but i plan on heading that way sometime soon

Ok cool. Is it like a call a week or so before kind of thing?

The majority of northern DZs are 'closed' during the winter, however, some are more closed than others. Your best bet is to call around to any DZ you can find within your desired driving distance, and see what they say.

Some Cessna DZs will 'open' for you if you show up with 4 jumpers willing to do 'x' number of jumps each. Sometimes it's just a matter of the DZO showing up to fly the plane, or sometimes they have to schedule a pilot, so no matter what the case, you're going to need to call ahead to some extent, even if it's just a day or so to set things up.

Either way, call around and see what's what. Sometimes DZ will plan engine overahauls in the winter, so even a DZ than ususally jumps it the winter may be out of commision for a month or two.

Be extra careful when jumping in the cold to balance the need stay warm with the need to wear clothing that will not interfere with your rig, or impede your flexibility, mobility or dexterity.

Glide,
I am laughing, being that once the temp dips below 50 or so I am miserable. I am in the NJ, NY area and all thoughts of jumping cease around November and I reluctantly start to think about it again in March, Maybe!.

We North Easterners, head south like birds for the winter.