Iflyme

Ontario non-fatal Incident

I heard rumors about an experienced jumper getting a bootie caught on the step of a c-182, and being unable to free himself. The pilot was unaware, and descended to 800 feet before being contacted via radio --- ascended, and the jumper somehow was freed, managed to land in a backyard, then a jumper from another load jumped in to help, but had a nasty crash landing resulting in several busted bones.

Can anyone supply more info?

If it's true it's probably the 3rd incident I've heard of a bootie getting caught on the step of a C182. I think the last time the pilot ended having to land the plane with the guy still hanging from it. Luckily the guy walked away with bumps and bruises.

This has happened at least three times that I have heard of, here in Norway. The jumpers have been able to release themselves all three times. Hook knifes can be helpeful sometimes.

There also was an incident many years ago, where a C-206 had to land with a jumper hanging under the aircraft. The jumper got himselv entagled with a staticline at exit. A firetruck sprayed the grassy area next to the runway with foam, the pilot landed gently, and the jumper just got a few bumps and bruises.
----------------------------------------

Yes, it did happen. About a month ago at Skydive Toronto during a 4-way competition. The jumper in question is a well known Ontario RW jumper.
I'm not sure quite why the jumper was able to free himself when he did, but I'm guessing it was after the pilot stopped descending at high airspeed and slowed down. The jumper got free at low altitude (~1000' I was told), and pulled his reserve.
After landing, the jumper wasn't initially seen to be moving, so a person on another load volunteered to jump in. He saw wires at the last moment and either clipped them or maneuvered to avoid them, breaking bones in feet/ankles.

The rumour I had heard was that the jumper whose bootie had caught, had reinforced the bootie with webbing -- after all, booties do get a lot of wear. Whether or not this is correct, this is one area where less strength may occasionally be an asset. Another jumper at the DZ had caught a bootie years ago, and in that case the bootie ripped and freed him before getting close to the ground.

We had the same incident with a 4way exit on a 182.One jumper got his left bootie hooked on the step.He was stuck on his back for a few seconds and he was trying to get out of this mess.When the pilot saw this ,he took out his seatbelt from the seat and grabbed a useful knife that we always kept close from his seat.we are doing AID instruction and we were always afraid premature deployment around the door.we never knew when we will use it.That day,a qualified instructor got his life saved by the pilot and his knife...Pilot had to cut the bootie and the diver went down freely and in perfect shape.One thing the pilot said was ...A Tony suit bootie is well done because I had to cut it completly after 3 times...

One of my fellow jumpers caught a bootie on our 182 earlier this year.
Fortunately for him the thread s ripped almost immediately causing no damage the the leather at all on the bottom of his bootie which was also a boon.

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.