jfskydiver

Trip to florida

A few of my friends and I are going to Florida in the beginning of december, and I was just wondering if anyone can help me decide on which drop zones are the best to go to. Like ones that are good for experienced jumpers, have nice plains, and also if you know of any dz's on the coast.

Plenty of good dropzones in Florida. Most note worthy ones are Sebastian from freefly, deland for RW and freefly and Z-Hills for RW. Ones to stay away from are Palatka, Tutisville, Miami, Jacksinville etc as they are more like well oiled tandem factories.

Depending what time you are in Florida there are also a few boogies and events coming up. Sebastian has a Halloween boogie this weekend and in November has the Key Boogie.

Whatever dropzone you choose im sure you'll have a blast. Have fun and be safe!

Blue skies!

I was just wondering if anyone can help me decide on which drop zones are the best to go to

Zhills: Great place for boogie style jumps. Organizers all over the place. Good bar and lots of fun. I lived on the DZ for years. They also have FF and a Wing Suit group.

DeLand: Amazing place. Great for team training. Fantastic aircraft and one tight run ship. If you are looking for fun jumps.... Well they don't normally have organizers and while there is some amazing talent there, they are normally training. I personally love the place, but not for "fun" loads.

Lake Wales: Yeah, unless you want to do a Tandem... Go somewhere else it seems

Titesville: Same owners as Lake Wales and seem to have the same issue.

Sebastian: Great views. Bigger on Freeflying than flat flying. I have been there with my wife and done two ways since we were the only two flat fliers.

Palatka: Fun place, been there a few times. They have a good vibe and I hear now have a Caravan. Art is a guy I respect.

Clewiston: My current FL home DZ. A nice King Air and some really nice people. Skill levels vary but they are working on bringing the new folks up.

If I could only visit one... Zhills. Close to a big city and they do a great job of being friendly.

also if you know of any dz's on the coast.

I'd go to Sebastian.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ones to stay away from are Palatka, Tutisville, Miami, Jacksinville etc as they are more like well oiled tandem factories.

Palatka? A Tandem mill? Where the fruit did you get that idea?

Hell, this weekend's Hog Flop Boogie will be very well attended by folks traveling from all over the south.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

For good plains, you will probably have to go to the midwest or maybe the west.

Or to Spain. But then again, that's where the rain seems to fall the most too, mainly. Or so they say. So might not be so good for skydiving there either now, come to think of it. :) I'd just fahghettaboutit methinks, altogether. Just stay home. :P
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

For good plains, you will probably have to go to the midwest or maybe the west.

Or to Spain. But then again, that's where the rain seems to fall the most too, mainly. Or so they say. So might not be so good for skydiving there either now, come to think of it. :) I'd just fahghettaboutit methinks, altogether. Just stay home. :P

Okay so I spelled plane, like the grass field version i.e. plain.
So sorry. But Otherwise thank you to the people that gave some tips.

Ones to stay away from are Palatka, Tutisville, Miami, Jacksinville etc as they are more like well oiled tandem factories.

*** Palatka is a well oiled Tandem factory? You've obviously never been to Palatka. I remember not very long ago, a couple of jumpers from one of your premier DZ's could'nt believe it when Art bumped a couple of tandems to get a few more fun jumpers on the load.(Not uncommon) Skydive Palatka has been my home DZ since it's inception, and it has never, ever been a tandem mill. You will not find a friendlier, more welcoming group of jumpers and staff anywhere. Tandem Factory? Please

John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

WOW! Talk about misinformed. Palatka, Tandem Factory? HAHAHAHAHAHA Friendliest and best all around DZ in Florida. Not downing others (there are a few others i enjoy) some offer certain things that others dont, all have their ups and downs, but none have a better vibe, and friendlier group of people than Palatka.

"I love 'lamp'."
-SKYMAMA

WOW! Talk about misinformed. Palatka, Tandem Factory? HAHAHAHAHAHA Friendliest and best all around DZ in Florida. Not downing others (there are a few others i enjoy) some offer certain things that others dont, all have their ups and downs, but none have a better vibe, and friendlier group of people than Palatka.

I second this sentiment. Palatka is a great place to jump. If you want to be instantly welcomed, a dz with a great plane and small dz fee, invited on loads immediately go to Palatka.

Of course ZHills, Deland and Sebastian are all nice.

Sebastian - Best View
Deland - Best DZ Restaurant/Bar
Zhills - All aorund good drop zone.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I