shward

DZ around Bethesda, MD

Hey ya'll,
Gonna be in the Bethesda, MD area for the next three weeks and would like to get some jumps in while there. I looked on the DZ locator and there are a few around but they claim to be a "Tamden Only" DZ. Any locals in the area know where the good ones are? Looks like I might have to drive a little distance but that's ok. Thanks ya'll
Life is short, eat more bacon, have more sex and jump anytime you can!!

Skydive Orange and Skydive West Point are your two closest DZs. Can't go wrong at either one. Otrange has an otter and West Point has a King Air. Scenary and people at both places are good and welcoming. Delmarva is a bit of drive and not real easy to get to but they have an Otter as well. Since you are here for few weeks you can try each of them. Bottom line is all are good Drop Zones and you won't be disappointed with any of them.
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

Say what? ...From Bethesda - West Point is easily the furthest out of the others 3 mentioned. Orange and Chambersburg are the closest (Orange south - in VA, Chambersburg north - PA), followed by Delmarva (east - eastern shore).

Like someone else has already posted, just pick one (or try all 4 at one point or another if yer around that long) - and HAVE FUN! Each has it's own bene's/nuances. Delmarva is a great, good mix of disciplines welcoming vibe. Same with West Point. Orange is Freeflyer-weighted, and Chambersburg Belly-Flier.

Right now, Chambersburg is currently flying easily the fastest climbing jumpship on the east coast, if you are into that. A King Air with new, solid STRONG -28's. 14k in 7 minutes. Turn-around loads in under 15 wheels up to wheels up.

Delmarva's open (both physically/geographically and figuratively/personna-welcoming peeps) can't be beat. It is second-to-none in "walk up and feel like you are INSTANT FAMILY" kinda vibe.

Orange is more the "hipster" (if you are younger, you'll like here) kinda crowd, and as mentioned, if your a free-flier, probably your most likely choice. CLothing typically optional, after hours. (My kinda "GTWAS" place ;))

STP - Skydive The Point, West Point is closer to Richmond - but definitely worth the trip! Great MIX of disciplines there, and hard-core Saturday Nights are usually on-tap (along with the Yeager).

If you are using your own gear, just make note that Chambersburg and Orange are AAD required DZ's - Delmarva & West Point, for licensed skydivers, are not.

Check 'em ALL out if you can, while you are out here. You won't be disappointed, probably - with ANY of 'em.

Hope the added detail and color is of some help.
Enjoy your trip - and WELCOME! Hope you enjoy your stay. ...Speaking of which too - BTW - Bunkhouses are avail at both Orange & C.Burg if you need to "crash" overnight. Sleeping bags and hangar/floor (or shared trailer, if available) are the shtick currently at either Delmarva or the Point.

Safe, fun skydives to you - no matter where you end up/whichever ones you try! B|

Blue Skies,
-Grant

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I pass Bethesda on my way to Delmarva on the weeknds I go. Just there this past wknd and going back on Nov 6th. If you want to catch a ride, I'll have room. It's 2 hrs from Bethesda. Orange is about the same, but I haven't jumped there. I'm still working on my "A" so Delmarva is home for me.

PM me if you want to go.

All the DZs mentionned are good choices. I've been to all of them and liked them.

FWIW, if you are around for this weekend, WP is having their Halloween boogie from Fri 29th to Sun 31st, and will be flying a CASA.

Try them all if you have a chance :-)

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,

Yeah my bad I forgot about Chambersburg. Delmarva might be closer mileage wise but drive time (depending on traffic) I think West Point is closer and a bit easier to get to. I have only been to delmarva twice and I remember being on a two lane road for what seemed like forever. I guess in the end it is a toss up. But like you said can't go wrong either way
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

Say what? ... Bunkhouses are avail at Orange if you need to "crash" overnight.

Not so sure about that. Random couches avail in the hangar - just take your shoes off before crashing.B|
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

OK ya'll. Headed down to Orange tomorrow. What the outlook? It's getting chilly up here in Bethesda, cold weather gear needed? Gonna rent a car to get down there, anyone need a ride? Navy has got me put up in a hotel in Gaithersburg. Thanks to everybody for the advice...Next weekend headed to Delmarva.
Life is short, eat more bacon, have more sex and jump anytime you can!!

I jumped at Orange when I had about 50 jumps and they made me feel so welcome...have a good time! I'm going back at Thanksgiving, hope it will be warm enough to enjoy jumping. There is an instructor named Lambert there who jumps barefoot and is especially helpful. Great guy.
At Thanksgiving I will need a ride to Orange from Bethesda myself, so if any of those who have replied to this thread are going to be driving and can give me a ride, please PM me! Thank you!

I jumped at Orange when I had about 50 jumps and they made me feel so welcome...have a good time! I'm going back at Thanksgiving, hope it will be warm enough to enjoy jumping. There is an instructor named Lambert there who jumps barefoot and is especially helpful. Great guy.

Lambert's pretty much a dick. Ask him if he's got any tricks, though;)
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Does anyone happen to be driving from Bethesda, MD to Skydive Orange for the day, either Saturday November 27 or Sunday November 28? If so, I would love to tag along--I'll be in town visiting grandparents for Thanksgiving, but have no car. I'd prefer to spend one whole day there since I don't have my rig with me and would be renting one for the day.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Montana

Does anyone happen to be driving from Bethesda, MD to Skydive Orange for the day, either Saturday November 27 or Sunday November 28? If so, I would love to tag along--I'll be in town visiting grandparents for Thanksgiving, but have no car. I'd prefer to spend one whole day there since I don't have my rig with me and would be renting one for the day.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Montana

I will put it up to our email list and see if you can catch a ride with anyone.