usernametaken

Best DZ to spend a SEASON working on jumping

I have decided that I will be spending 2 months in 2011 at a "Resort" style DZ. I missed out on my youth and hope to camp. I also hope to make 200 jumps; the first 100 belly, the second 100 FF.

1) DZ should be camping friendly and have enough amenities to make life sustainable on the DZ.

2) Belly and FF friendly while being "accessible."

3) Live in the midwest and would love to be somewhere warm as opposed to somewhere hot/humid during the summer. (though I am willing to be persuaded)

The way I look see it, it comes down to the following, but again, I am totally open to suggestions.

Eloy
Deland
Z-Hills
Sebastion
Perris
Elsinore
Skydance

People speak so effusively about how cliquey and TEAM oriented Deland is or its the greatest place ever. I am easy-going and would like to think I get along with most. Is it FF friendly?

I hope to make some coaching jumps on belly and FF, too.

Thanks, everybody!

p.s. Did I mention tent recommendations? I hear Eloy nights can get chilly. B|
"Think like a man of action; act like a man of thought." -Henri L.
Bergson

When are you doing these two months? If summer, there are options up north too like Skydive Chicago among others. :)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

When are you doing these two months? If summer, there are options up north too like Skydive Chicago among others. :)

Bolas, I am hoping to get that time in and then continue jumping a lot, not only for myself but to get ready for Summerfest 2011.

Love SDC and jumped there before, but I was hoping to make this a trip somewhere warm so I can avoid getting pounded by snow during late fall and winter.

There are two seasons where I live in the midwest: winter and summer. Bitch-slap cold and sweltering heat and humidity. [:/]
Bergson

I would recommend Zhills over Deland, for being more up-jumper friendly and less of a "team training" DZ. Sometimes it's hard to find people to jump with at Deland if you don't already have a group to jump with. Zhills is VERY friendly and it seems like they always have people organizing.

Eloy is great too. They do have bunkhouses if it gets too cold, and the tunnel is awesome!

I've been to the tunnel in Perris, it seemed like a pretty nice DZ but I haven't jumped there. I haven't been to the others on your list so I can't comment on them.

Good luck and have fun! Sounds like a blast. :)

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

I vote to pick an area and travel.

If you got to SoCal you have a few options to hop between. Same with Texas, and Florida.

Eloy is pretty much the only big DZ in AZ but as I haven't been yet, don't want to comment on it.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I have decided that I will be spending 2 months in 2011 at a "Resort" style DZ. I missed out on my youth and hope to camp. I also hope to make 200 jumps; the first 100 belly, the second 100 FF.

1) DZ should be camping friendly and have enough amenities to make life sustainable on the DZ.

2) Belly and FF friendly while being "accessible."

3) Live in the midwest and would love to be somewhere warm as opposed to somewhere hot/humid during the summer. (though I am willing to be persuaded)

The way I look see it, it comes down to the following, but again, I am totally open to suggestions.

Eloy
Deland
Z-Hills
Sebastion
Perris
Elsinore
Skydance

People speak so effusively about how cliquey and TEAM oriented Deland is or its the greatest place ever. I am easy-going and would like to think I get along with most. Is it FF friendly?

I hope to make some coaching jumps on belly and FF, too.

Thanks, everybody!

p.s. Did I mention tent recommendations? I hear Eloy nights can get chilly. B|

I think if it is summer go for a larger mid west dz like Skydive Chicago or Start Skydiving in Ohio. Or a north east drop zone like Skydive New England in Lebanon Maine is pheoneminal!!

Florida can be pretty warm (and slower) in the summer.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

Assuming you don't want to rent a car, and if you want to do some tunnel time in addition to your jumps, Perris or Eloy would be your best bets to meet all of your criteria. Both have camping space and cheap bunkhouses, on-site food/bars (though you WILL want to eat somewhere else after a few meals at either!) and on-site bars, and great coaching and organizing available.

ZHills is also fantastic ... but you'd have to drive if you wanted to do tunnel time.

Skydance is my home DZ, but it's not a 7-day a week DZ, so I'm not sure it'd be the best choice for what you're looking for. Cafe/bar is usually only open on the weekends, so it wouldn't meet your criteria of being self-contained.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Z-hills was the first big DZ I visited when I was younger and loved the vibe. LOVED IT!

I don't mind traveling to a tunnel.

What is the best stretch of time to be at Z-hills and Eloy in the winter?

Btw, I am excited about camping. I don't rough it. I will have a BIG tent with plenty of STUFF. :)

Finally, I want to be south for the winter. That is really important to me. I have lived in the midwest for XX years and I still hate winter. >:(

Bergson

Eloy, for sure, you won't regret it.
There's always something going on and always Load Organizers during the season.

what time "is the season" in Eloy? What stretch of two months is the best?

Thanksgiving to Easter.
Remster

I don't rough it. I will have a BIG tent with plenty of STUFF. :)

Z-hills has trailers you can rent for a pretty reasonable price. Camping is fun for a couple days, but having electricity with a fridge and a coffee pot can really make a difference. I'm pretty sure you could get a deal if you were staying to two months. They also have a nice shoer house with plenty of hot water.