bodypilot90

legs straps

yesterday when jumping I had both my leg straps slip all the way to the ends on opening. I have 250 jumps on the rig and never had it happen before. I jump a spectre and opening was not harder or softer than normal. Ideas? container was a Mirage g3. I always check them just b4 exit and they were tight.

I doubt its the PdF style which is the new style since its only been out for about a year now. If your rig is 3 years old, unless you've have the leg straps replaced, odds are its the normal mil-spec issued gear.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

That same thing happened to me around jump #14...when I deployed, next thing I knew, my cheststrap was strangling me and my head was pinned between it & the rig (rental gear) I could just barely reach the toggles...not fun, especially for someone with such low # of jumps!!

On the ground, we think we figured out what happened: the pads for the leg straps were too big and when I cinched the straps down, I let the bottom pad rest over top of the top pad. This resulted in the hardware being lifted just slightly. 2 gear checks didn't catch the problem, but when I deployed, it was enough to loosen them all the way to the turn backs.

I don't know if your leg pads overlap at all, but if they do, maybe the same thing happened?

Hope you get it figured out!

Blue skies, light winds,
Karen

My G3 straps loosten up sitting in the plane going to altitude. I put an extra keeper on each strap placed up tight against the buckle. You can use rubber bands too. A tug before exit and I'm cool for the ride down.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

I use rubber bands too and nothing moves accept the leg straps are a little looser after the main is out ( I only notice this on the ground after the jump)
But the strap will not move itself ( at least on my container) with the rubber bands next to the buckle.:)

I've never had a rig that did this. I recently read an article where many people are putting their heads together to try to solve this problem. I always thought that if this did happen it was because the buckle is too large or worn out or the leg strap material is getting worn too thin. But there is more too it than that in some cases. Maybe someone will figure out an answer soon. I'd show your rig to a few different riggers and get their advice. Maybe someone needs to develop or invent a better buckle. Steve1

The first stainless steel hardware, that was designed a few years ago, was basically a copy of the existing cadmium plated, carbon steel hardware. Because a polished stainless steel surface is a lot slipperier than cadmium plate, early stainless friction adapters slipped more than their cadmium plated counterparts. Early versions of the MS22040 AND the French, two piece adapter were both effected. Newer versions of both design have solved the problem. I will give a talk at the 2003 PIA Symposium about how to identify the slippery stuff. As soon as I get the talk together, I'll post a draft here. Without pictures it's hard to explain the difference. However, I will give you two cautions about the French adapter. 1. The early versions would slip if the webbing got dirty, especially with sand. 2. Both versions of the French adapter will slip badly if a keeper or edge of a legpad gets between the two pieces and prevents them from touching.

Bill

Although there is no official standard for hardware slippage, we have always tested to a 600 lbs. standard. (Opening shocks rarely put more force than that on a single leg friction adapter, and then only for a tenth of a second). All first attempts at stainless by the hardware manufacturers failed to meet this goal. We sent back lots of hardware before they finally got it right. On the "standard" type adapters we had them polish less and increase the size of the knurling (bumps) on their slide bar. (They went from 15 an inch to 10 an inch). On the two piece "French" adapter, they angled the lower edge of the "bump" to give more webbing contact. These improvements solved the slippage problem for the most part. However, there are always some adapters that slip more than others, both Cadmium plated and Stainless. Stainless, because of their slick surface just seem to have more problems. (There is always a price to pay for beauty.) If hardware on a Relative Workshop rig slips, we simply replace it free of charge.