blueskyychic

2nd Annual Lindbergh Boogie - Americus, GA

The 2nd Annual Lindbergh Boogie is brought to you by Americus-Sumter Festivals, Inc. along with the Americus-Sumter Chamber of Commerce and the Rotary Club of Americus. We had such a good time last year that the city & county decided they’d like to bring back an aviation festival on a yearly basis. As the only jumper in town, I am heading up the skydiving side of things. Believe it or not, the whuffos are once again very excited about having us come to town!!

Souther Field (now officially Jimmy Carter Regional Airport) is a large open airport with plenty of space and your choice of outs if needed. The Director of the Airport Authority is down for anything that will liven up the place a little bit -- there's a lot of history and potential at this place that no one pays attention to.

So here at the details for now, and if I miss anything you need just shout it out and I'll try to get you an answer:

Dates
Friday, April 30, 2010 (12:00 PM Start)
Saturday, May 1, 2010 (All Day)
Sunday, May 2, 2010 (All Day)

Jumps
PAC 750XL from Skydive Deland
$20 Registration
$20 Jumps

Hot Air Balloon
$90 Jumps
AM & PM Hops on Saturday and Sunday

*Negotiating with packing & rigging services now - details soon!

Hotels
Quality Inn (Highway 19/MLK Blvd, 5-6 miles from airport) - 229-324-4431
**Skydiver Rate $60/night**
Hampton Inn (Hwy 280 East, ~4 miles from airport) - 229-324-2138
Regular Rate $110/night
Holiday Inn Express (Hwy 280 East next to Hampton) - 229-928-5400
Regular Rate $77.95/night
Windsor Hotel (Lamar Street Downtown, 4 miles) - 229-924-1555
Historic Landmark, 100+ years old
*Skydiver Rate $75/night*
Days Inn (Hwy 19/MLK Blvd, 5-6 miles)
Not the highest quality, but best value: $39.95/single bed or $49.95 double beds

RV/Tent Camping
RV slots will be available at the airport, but I have to meet w/ the airport director for a final Number and specifics re: power hookups, etc... You are also welcome to pitch a tent if so inclined. We will be allowed access to the FBO shower and bathrooms after hours.

There are also RV slots available at the Brickyard RV park 15 miles away.

Food Vendors
The Festival Committee and Rotary will be coordinating food vendors and concessions on site - details coming soon.

After Hours Friday & Saturday
There will be a “Meet & Greet” for the skydivers Friday night at Floyd’s Bar downtown (at the Windsor Hotel) – this is being put on by the Festival Committee and there should be some good drink and food specials. I will have more details soon.

Saturday we will have a street party and live band (Fat Jackson) in downtown Americus. The band will play from 8-midnight and the Windsor will be providing a cash bar on the sidewalk. There will also be a paper airplane contest ($5 entry, rules will apply) at 7:00 PM for a chance to win $10,000!!

Local Restaurants
Lots of good local places to eat and drink in town, so I'll give a few to pick from...

Roman Oven Pizzeria (good pizza, sandwiches, and beer)
Pat's Place (good pizza, sandwiches, and beer)
2 Duke’s Barbecue (great bbq, chicken, & ribs)
Forsyth 1889 Bar & Grill (good food and beer selection)
The Station (good food and bar)
La Hacienda (good mexican and cervesa)
Woods Swinging Wings (great wings, beer)

Chain Restaurants: Ruby Tuesdays, Zaxby's, Quiznos, Wendy's, Subway, Taco Bell, McD's, Captain D's, Sonic, KFC, Pizza Hut, Domino's Delivery, Burger King, Hardee's

Other Points of Interest you may need:
Mike's Party Center (package store)
WalMart Supercenter

Other Events
The "Flying Feet" 5K will start at 8:00 AM on Saturday at South Georgia Technical College right next to Souther Field. Day-of registration begins at 7:00 AM and the cost is $20 ($15 before April 26th - get in touch if you're interested).

We will have inflatable playplaces for the kids (Moon Walk, Castle Bounce/Fun House, Giant Slide, Bungee Run), a dunking booth, a paper airplane flying contest, airplane rides (Cessna 172 with the Americus Flying Club), and some static displays of airplanes/helicopters. We may even have an F-15 simulator.

If you are travelling to Americus....
Be careful about using "223 Airport Road" in Google Maps or Mapquest -- some of the online map generators actually show you a point south of town which is entirely INCORRECT.

To get a map to pull up so that you can actually see the airport, use "Souther Field Road" or "Highway 49 North" in Americus (zip 31709). The airport is N/NE of Americus by 2-3 miles.

The idea of this whole event is to draw the entire community out and get them excited about flying and skydiving. It will be a boogie for us, but an exhibition for them...
This is only our second time trying, but hopefully it will be bigger and better than last year.

If you are a Facebookie, check out the event listed as "2nd Annual Lindbergh Boogie." I will check this forum and Facebook regularly so I can try to answer any of your questions.

Look forward to jumping with all of you!!

Blue skies!!!!

I really would LOVE to make it to this, sounds like an awesome time! Unfortunately I am already committed to going somewhere else that weekend. :(

Oh well, maybe next year.

It was great seeing you and jumping with you last weekend though. :)

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

This is a great facility for skydiving and aviation in general. I had a blast doing a big way skills camp with Fortson last year.
I doubt I'll be jumping by then but I wish you and your event the best of weather and luck.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

LAST MINUTE REMINDERS

1. The Lindbergh Boogie will be CASH ONLY. Please come prepared. If you forget, there are plenty of ATMs (Synovus, Wachovia) in town.

2. BALLOON JUMPS - Slots available on the following loads:
Saturday AM #2
Saturday PM #1
Saturday PM #2
Sunday AM #1
Sunday AM #2
**Possibility of 2 loads Friday PM - I'll keep you posted.**

3. RV Slots: Space is limited but available if you give me a heads-up. If you need anything more than 110 power hookup, come prepared to do some creative electrical engineering.

4. New Location on Airport: We are moving this year (away from the crop duster graveyard) closer to the FBO... So we'll be to the Right this year instead of to the Left. There is a new gate in the fence to the right of the FBO which we will be allowed to drive through so we can get to our little corner. I'll will try to post a map/picture here tomorrow.

I'm sure I'm leaving something out... so if you think of it, ASK.

Hope to see all of you soon!!
:)

Not sure of a definite "show" list yet... but hoping for lots of smiling faces.

Yes, we do have an RV slot available - you're the first to request/ask about one... Consider it saved just for You! :-)

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I'm bringing mine up, I have to get a part for the brakes tomorrow, if I can find it I'll need the slot.

If anybody coming to the boggie this weekend can get their hands on a hypeye d pro for the either new or used PLEASE let me know, I REALLY need one and they're out of stock everywhere locally. If you have an extra I can borrow it for the weeked or buy it from you I would appreicate it. If anyone has a new one at thier local DZ and can pay for it in advance I'll pay you back for it as soon as I get in Friday. I'll be working at the tandem tent.

thanks
Chuck Bryan