justdumi

Texas FF Dropzones

Skydive Houston in Waller TX sent three freefly teams to the 2009 USPA Nationals to compete in artistic freefly and 4 way VFS and all three teams came back with medals. Two team members at SDH in Waller were on the 108 way head down world record. Two members of an SDH freefly team are level 4 IBA wind tunnel coaches.

Dallas also has some good freeflyers ;)

Between those two DZs, you're looking at over 95% of the TX freefly scene.

108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Between those two DZs, you're looking at over 95% of the TX freefly scene

What about Spaceland?? Its located in Rosharon, just about 30 minutes outside of Houston. Great DZ/facilities, Huge landing area, excellent fun jumping scene, and world class freefly teams. Surely that has to be more than 5% aye?B|
"We didn't start the fire"

Great DZ/factilities - yes, but not freefly scene related.
Huge landing area - yes, but not freefly scene related.
Excellent fun jumping scene - debatable, but still not freefly scene related.

What active freefly teams are there at Spaceland? Last I remember, Anomaly was done a couple years ago and Bling has been gone for longer than that :D

Sorry, not more than 5% of current TX freefly scene at all. Look up where the TX state freefly record is/was/has been and where the tryouts are. How many spaceland folk were at the last TX freefly state record? How many Spaceland flyers will be at the tryouts/record this year? Probably only Rory (he'd better, he owes me a thumb!) How many Spaceland freefly teams competed at the 2009 nationals? 2008?

The answers to the questions above are as follows: none, possibly one, none, and none.

As much fun as I've had there and as good friends as I have there... it's just not where the freefly is going on in TX this year, last year, or the year before. Not really a freefly DZ anymore. But that could change in the future. It always does eventually. All DZs change in their crowd and scene over a couple years.

I will say though that Spaceland is the place to be for some serious 4way RW work. There are some fantastic committed 4way belly RW teams there and are good people. Spaceland is pretty much on some of the leading edge of TX 4way RW and TX belly bigways. Great place to go if 4 way RW is what you're looking for.

Freefly ways however, you will currently need to drive to either SDH or SDD.

Hit me up on Facebook

Nice one thanks. I also had Spaceland in my head but wasn't sure if sure if it was still in effect. Guess SDH is the one fairly close to Austin/Round Rock area that I will be at. SDD will be also worth a visit it seems. I'll try both out!

Thanks lads
Nitro

Between those two DZs, you're looking at over 95% of the TX freefly scene

What about Spaceland?? Its located in Rosharon, just about 30 minutes outside of Houston. Great DZ/facilities, Huge landing area, excellent fun jumping scene, and world class freefly teams. Surely that has to be more than 5% aye?B|

If that's the fact then there is absolutely NO freeflying going on in San Marcos. Lol
I guess its all perspective.
Finally it boils down to, there are freeflyers everywhere.
How far do you want to drive and where is it you will have the most fun.

You decide and we will see you around.
Happy hunting.

OK, You've convinced me. I will NOT be jumping at Waller.
Simon, I think you've gone a little too far this time.
Let's back up a minute here. 95% of free fliers are at SDH? Have you even been to San Marcos other than the little organizer gig you did for one weekend? I didn't think so. Why does a free flier have to be on a "team" to count? I can think of dozens of free fliers in San Marcos off the top of my head. And several that are MUCH better than you think you are.
Why do you relate free flying to who did what on what team? Do you know that 95% of free fliers or more actually don't compete or even care about being on a head down record attempt? Most of that to begin with is about who you know not how good you can actually fly. I'm a free flier and I have no interest in being on a team nor do I want to jump with anyone on a team that is going to put themselves above me just because of that.
Who cares?
I think you really miss the point of what somebody may be looking for in a dropzone. That's great that you guys have a bunch of tunnel coaches. Too bad there's not a tunnel anywhere closer than 900 miles. I'm glad you have so many teams that make you so much better that the worn out Anomaly and the long forgotten Bling but you probably are too busy with your own thing that you probably wouldn't even notice a new guy coming in looking for a day of jumping. I know that Todd and Kristy would but I'm not too sure about you anymore.
I don't know why you're so worried about Texas and the Texas record. Where the hell are you from? Oh, you live in Texas. And you've been here how long? Hardly a Texan do you make my friend.
Don't throw the Texas shit around and if you do get your facts straight. Do you know where the Texas free fly scene began? Do you know who Brad Slager is? And where he jumped? Why don't you look that up. Do you know that just a few short years ago Waller was about to shut down? Why don't you look that up too while you're at it.
How come you don't mention the plane at SDH? PAC 750? If you ask me an Otter is much better. I think you'll agree. What does Spaceland fly? How about San Marcos? Otters at both places.
Why don't you mention SDH is several hours from Austin yet San Marcos is less than an hour?
Your recommendation of dropzones doesn't hold any water based on your supporting comments.
It sounds like you're selling yourself. And apparently you've become a legend in your own mind.
I would wager a pretty big bet that if you were jumping somewhere else THAT would be the place to be.
So that brings us full circle here. Let's go back to the OP's question and give him some usable information.
There are two dropzones near Austin. Skydive Temple and Skydive San Marcos. There are free fliers at both dropzones and both dropzones are running turbine aircraft at this time. Temple is flying a Pac and San Marcos has an Otter and a Caravan. If you would like to venture out a little more Skydive Dallas is about 3 hours to the north and Houston to the East. Houston has two dropzones; Spaceland in Rosharon and Skydive Houston in Waller. Spaceland is huge by comparison flying several aircraft, SDH flies a Pac and I'm pretty sure Dallas is flying an Otter. If you're into the free fly clique thing and want to go somewhere where currently competing teams are located than you might like SDH or Dallas a bit better than the others but all are equally safe and priced the same and all have free fliers that would love to include you.

I am totally sick of my DZ being knocked for lack of free flyers. I'm willing to wager a few more bucks with you Simon. I'll bet there are more free fliers in San Marcos than there are at Waller if you count all of us that are not part of any "team".
"We" are the team. 30 jumps or 10,000 jumps, team or no team. If you think you're better just because of your credentials than I think most of us don't want to jump with you or at your DZ anyway.
Teams don't make a DZ. People do.

:D:D:D:D

That's a pretty long angry rant. I love you too!

Actually what I said is that 95% of the freefly scene was between Skydive Dallas and Skydive Houston. From traveling around to the different DZs, that's what I've seen, that's my opinion, and I'll stick to it. Feel free to keep disagreeing. Didn't mean to sound like I was knocking your DZ, don't remember mentioning it anywhere, but you sound angry enough I'm sure I must have.

Sorry you don't like me very much :P I like beer :)
Peace B|
Hit me up on Facebook

Since bones is too down to earth and nice to say what should be said, Ill say it too. P.S. I am from Spaceland, not SDH.

"Skydive Houston in Waller TX sent three freefly teams to the 2009 USPA Nationals to compete in artistic freefly and 4 way VFS and all three teams came back with medals. Two team members at SDH in Waller were on the 108 way head down world record. Two members of an SDH freefly team are level 4 IBA wind tunnel coaches."

Really good statistical fact that shows whats going on there.

"Let's back up a minute here. 95% of free fliers are at SDH?"

Thats not what he said. he probably should have said high quality FF.

" but you probably are too busy with your own thing that you probably wouldn't even notice a new guy coming in looking for a day of jumping."

Also, bones is probably one of the most down to earth guys on and off the DZ. He has no problem bringing a begging freeflyer on a fun jump and he might even bring his spaceball too. He will probably give a lot of coaching too. I know I was one of them.

"Where the hell are you from? Oh, you live in Texas. And you've been here how long? Hardly a Texan do you make my friend.
Don't throw the Texas shit around and if you do get your facts straight. Do you know where the Texas free fly scene began? Do you know who Brad Slager is? And where he jumped? Why don't you look that up. Do you know that just a few short years ago Waller was about to shut down? Why don't you look that up too while you're at it."

I was born and raised in texas. haha... who gives a fuck? you dont have to be from here to see what is currently going on is.

"How come you don't mention the plane at SDH? PAC 750? If you ask me an Otter is much better. I think you'll agree. What does Spaceland fly? How about San Marcos? Otters at both places."

I would have to say that I like the otter better, but only when I am in the door. I would have to say that this is simply a terrible point to take a stand on. Pacs are great planes.

"It sounds like you're selling yourself. And apparently you've become a legend in your own mind.
I would wager a pretty big bet that if you were jumping somewhere else THAT would be the place to be."

A good team should sell themselves to bring business to that DZ. Its effective and smart. If it was not raining outside, i would be at SDH right now ONLY because i would have the opportunity to learn from Bones and Brad's videos and debriefs. O, yea.... They were going to do some FF fun jump organizing after their team jumps instead of packing up and leaving. I have another FF friend that was going to go because Ver-tex was training there. Maybe some people do not understand that.While i dont like legend... Ill say that he is in fact very well known. Yes.... If all the teams that were jumping at SDH currently got up and moved to another DZ, it would be the place to be for FF. You sir are correct.

"That's great that you guys have a bunch of tunnel coaches. Too bad there's not a tunnel anywhere closer than 900 miles."

tunnel coaches are know to be damn good flyers. In this specific case, that is defiantly true.

I can think of dozens of free fliers in San Marcos off the top of my head. And several that are MUCH better than you think you are."

last and certainly the best quote. haha... defiantly not true.

To back up bones' statement, I would have to say that the people who are good enough to be on the 100 way HD record and who had the means to go in fact did.

I love spaceland and it is my home dz by far. It truly has world class facilities. However, i can say that it is not much of a freefly DZ. I would have to say that I am one of the few regular freeflyers there and I only jump during summer and holidays. We do not have a FF team competing (unless you count Collegiates).

thats all

Since bones is too down to earth and nice to say what should be said, Ill say it too. P.S. I am from Spaceland, not SDH.

"Skydive Houston in Waller TX sent three freefly teams to the 2009 USPA Nationals to compete in artistic freefly and 4 way VFS and all three teams came back with medals. Two team members at SDH in Waller were on the 108 way head down world record. Two members of an SDH freefly team are level 4 IBA wind tunnel coaches."

Really good statistical fact that shows whats going on there.

"Let's back up a minute here. 95% of free fliers are at SDH?"

Thats not what he said. he probably should have said high quality FF.

" but you probably are too busy with your own thing that you probably wouldn't even notice a new guy coming in looking for a day of jumping."

Also, bones is probably one of the most down to earth guys on and off the DZ. He has no problem bringing a begging freeflyer on a fun jump and he might even bring his spaceball too. He will probably give a lot of coaching too. I know I was one of them.

"Where the hell are you from? Oh, you live in Texas. And you've been here how long? Hardly a Texan do you make my friend.
Don't throw the Texas shit around and if you do get your facts straight. Do you know where the Texas free fly scene began? Do you know who Brad Slager is? And where he jumped? Why don't you look that up. Do you know that just a few short years ago Waller was about to shut down? Why don't you look that up too while you're at it."

I was born and raised in texas. haha... who gives a fuck? you dont have to be from here to see what is currently going on is.

"How come you don't mention the plane at SDH? PAC 750? If you ask me an Otter is much better. I think you'll agree. What does Spaceland fly? How about San Marcos? Otters at both places."

I would have to say that I like the otter better, but only when I am in the door. I would have to say that this is simply a terrible point to take a stand on. Pacs are great planes.

"It sounds like you're selling yourself. And apparently you've become a legend in your own mind.
I would wager a pretty big bet that if you were jumping somewhere else THAT would be the place to be."

A good team should sell themselves to bring business to that DZ. Its effective and smart. If it was not raining outside, i would be at SDH right now ONLY because i would have the opportunity to learn from Bones and Brad's videos and debriefs. O, yea.... They were going to do some FF fun jump organizing after their team jumps instead of packing up and leaving. I have another FF friend that was going to go because Ver-tex was training there. Maybe some people do not understand that.While i dont like legend... Ill say that he is in fact very well known. Yes.... If all the teams that were jumping at SDH currently got up and moved to another DZ, it would be the place to be for FF. You sir are correct.

"That's great that you guys have a bunch of tunnel coaches. Too bad there's not a tunnel anywhere closer than 900 miles."

tunnel coaches are know to be damn good flyers. In this specific case, that is defiantly true.

I can think of dozens of free fliers in San Marcos off the top of my head. And several that are MUCH better than you think you are."

last and certainly the best quote. haha... defiantly not true.

To back up bones' statement, I would have to say that the people who are good enough to be on the 100 way HD record and who had the means to go in fact did.

I love spaceland and it is my home dz by far. It truly has world class facilities. However, i can say that it is not much of a freefly DZ. I would have to say that I am one of the few regular freeflyers there and I only jump during summer and holidays. We do not have a FF team competing (unless you count Collegiates).

thats all

You just said everything I was going to say. Simon is one of the most down to earth guys you'll run into on the DZ. Everybody wants to promote their DZ and their freefly/RW/wingsuit/etc, etc scene. Simon has a little bit of data to back up the claims he was making. I don't think he meant for that to come off as only DZ's with medal winning freefliers are the only good DZ's, because anybody who knows simon knows that would sound ridiculous coming from his mouth since he's all about promoting freeflying period no matter what.

I've only been to San Marcos a very few times and I've never been to Dallas, but in the immediate Houston area Simon is right-- the freefly scene is at SDH. IMO, the fun jumper scene in general is at SDH. For anybody looking for what DZ to jump at, just keep an eye out for the events coming this season. Where are all of the freefly weekends/boogies/camps/etc going to be? Wingsuit weekends? Scrambles? You'll probably see a lot of events at SDH.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Good God everyone, get a life.
The fact still is there are freefliers everywhere and we have all been on records, we all have medals, we all have atmoshpere dolphin licenses.

Whatever the better dz is, is all up to personal perspective.
I respect the fact that everyone is trying to promote their own dz as well as their teams, that is great.
All I ask is to not belittle others accomplishments in the Texas freefly community.

Bryan is right. We all do what we like and what makes us happy. What makes me happy is to piss off anonymous people online and I think I do a good job at it. It all comes down to penis. It's a funny word. Try and say penis without cracking a smile. I can't. Maybe it's because I'm 25 years old and having a good time. I can't help it. Penis is funny. It could be the beer on a rainy day, it could be my immaturity. Even still, penis is funny. Drink beer, laugh about penis, regret nothing, and appreciate your friends. Life is too short for negative energy.

All I know is that many beers taste yummy. If you disagree, then we will be enemies.

Skydive Houston is where I chose to party because they have a pool and I have a special blue speedo that fits perfectly in it. Sometimes it's better to go naked. You know! You've been there!

Drive fast, take risks, hook it low, flare late.

There is no such thing as the good old days. It's just a bullshit excuse used by people who forgot how to have a good time.

If you're an angry person, come to SDH. We have the remedy (it's called beer :P)

Hit me up on Facebook

And if you don't want to drive that far you can drink beer and go swimming at San Marcos.
BTW, the freeflyers are more fun, the beer is colder, the girls are hotter and the plane flies faster and higher than SDH. LOL

There! Take that. Lmfa

And anyone who leaves SDH to come freefly with us will get free beer, a new beautiful mate, a new car AND a clear complexion.

And anyone who leaves SDH to come freefly with us will get free beer, a new beautiful mate, a new car AND a clear complexion.

and I've been thinking it's time to get into FF a bit more ... what motivation! I could use at least 3 of the 4 ... ;)
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

I sit back and I watch all this drama that gets posted by self-serving, arrogant and immature people and it makes my stomach turn....I dont jump anymore...never was good enough to really make it my sport (yes, I am giving you all the opening to attack me on that one)..but i do still pack...which means I see (and hear) all the behind the scenes stuff that goes on...and bottom line is...the fun drop zone, the good drop zone or the best drop zone is simply the one that you are at, enjoying with your friends and certainly the one that you are accepted by at the moment... As for the best FF??? I hate to tell you SIMON...That is more than just perspective....medals and skill can only be measured against your competition at the time of winning a medal...if you are the best out of 2 or 3 teams, then you are also pretty close to the last place too...skill is determined by the level of competition...go compete against the best....then brag about your medals....and NEVER forget when you get free suits, discounted rates and perks for team practicing and then turn your back on the person that got you to that competition in the first place...hardly a medal worth bragging about if that is how you receive it!!!
I am all for promoting your DZ but when some person who is just visiting and trying to have a good weekend and will be 20 mintues from a perfectly good DZ and you are trying to send em YOUR resume instead....well make sure they get full disclosure(for example Simon...the DZ you're bragging about having at least two staff who have assaulted people)....THAT is the kind of stuff that makes you credible in your referrals...not your medals!!!
Attack away people...I gave ALL fact in my statement, so all attacks won't matter a bit to me!

To all those concerned,
JustDumi contacted me and I will cater to his freefly needs to my utmost ability and with the greatest integrity.

I have been in the Texas freefly scene long enough to know if for some reason I cannot fulfill his expectations in San Marcos I will happily give him directions to another dz that can.

I look forward to freeflying with you JustDumi.

:D:D:D:D

Gawd this stuff is priceless! Keep it coming! So much hate and anger! Here I am! Give it to me ;) Y'all seem to know so much about me :D

I don't even know who you anonymous online personalities are but this is me! Facebook link below! You know where to find me and when you do, I'll be the one drinking beer and laughing at the world. Good times B|
Hit me up on Facebook

and I've been thinking it's time to get into FF a bit more ... what motivation! I could use at least 3 of the 4 ... ;)

I dunno.
Beautiful is subjective.
Mate does not specify gender or even species. This is rural Texas after all. :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

What a laugh!

Trent Alkek of Spaceland Anomaly is very active in the world freefly scene...from participating in the 100-way headdown record, organizing FF and hybrid jumps and coaching one on one, and the Norwegians, Japanese, etc. Yep more than 5% and lots of USPA medals.

Spaceland also has the Collegiate Gold medal winners so if you want to FF with a bunch of young up and comers come on out.

In addition, Spaceland has the only tailgate aircraft in Texas. Two Skyvans which should be released for jumping early in May.

Come on out.

Blue skies,

Jim