SpectreDriver

Skydive Mustang Beach/ Port Aransas TX; Starts next Wed!

Looks like this thing could classify as an actual "Boogie" this spring rather than just a couple of dudes jumpin a rented plane!
Twin Otter & Helicopter gonna be there for sure.
Anybody else thinking of going?

If you're trying to go there anytime after 10AM, it's best to take the long way around Corpus Christi Bay and use the ferry into Port Aransas. There will be a massive Spring Break traffic jam on the Padre Island Bridge & turnoff all afternoon most days.

I haven't dared going near there during spring break in a LONG time, but used to be the ferry line would get pretty backed up too ... don't know which is worse! I'm not sure when yet, but plan on getting down there again for at least a couple of days again.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

Fall event was great! A few more fun jumpers and it would have been - well who knows!!! If I had'nt commited to the EXPO & Flock n Dock, I'd definitely drive down. Hate to miss the beach jumps and the views from altitude.

Jim R.
Jim

If you're trying to go there anytime after 10AM, it's best to take the long way around Corpus Christi Bay and use the ferry into Port Aransas. There will be a massive Spring Break traffic jam on the Padre Island Bridge & turnoff all afternoon most days.

So taking 358/22 from I-37 to 361 is bad?

If you are showing up past mid morning, You definitely want to take I37 to 358 EB to Pk rd 22 (Flour bluff) across the causeway, Left at 1st light (361) - North to Port A

From northern areas if you take 35 to 361 in Aransas Pass, have plenty of time, lots to drink & lots of fuel, Ferry lines in excess of 1 1/2 hrs are very common during spring break even on weekdays.

Remember, evening commute back onto the mainland across the ferry will be very long as well

The First Tandems are scheduled at 8 am wednesday March 17th.... it's a group of Irish Ladies on their "Bucket List" Mission. one is 76 years old and got a Tattoo last year with her Friends, went Para-sailing, bought a confortable to match her friends car. now skydiving Above the Gulf of Mexico and Landing Mustang Beach! what's next for these Ladies? lol

Sean Tillery
Skydive Atlas, LLC
Skydive Lincoln Nebraska and the Corn Fed Boogie... Come make a Skydive!

The First Tandems are scheduled at 8 am wednesday March 17th.... it's a group of Irish Ladies on their "Bucket List" Mission. one is 76 years old and got a Tattoo last year with her Friends, went Para-sailing, bought a confortable to match her friends car. now skydiving Above the Gulf of Mexico and Landing Mustang Beach! what's next for these Ladies? lol

Sean Tillery
Skydive Atlas, LLC

They could always pick up some young college boys on the beach afterward. lol

If you are showing up past mid morning, You definitely want to take I37 to 358 EB to Pk rd 22 (Flour bluff) across the causeway, Left at 1st light (361) - North to Port A

From northern areas if you take 35 to 361 in Aransas Pass, have plenty of time, lots to drink & lots of fuel, Ferry lines in excess of 1 1/2 hrs are very common during spring break even on weekdays.

Remember, evening commute back onto the mainland across the ferry will be very long as well

Well, we just completely contradicted each other and I must admit, it may be just as bad either way...
I've never tried to cross the Ferry during Spring Break, but I figured it HAD to be better than the Causeway/ 361/ Park road 22...

So both ways may very well suck if you try to roll in mid-day... early morning or late afternoon is best.

Folks coming south from Houston, use the Ferry and cross your fingers! Those coming from San Antone/ Corpus, go for the Causeway. Godspeed to all! JT

Can anyone give me an update on the Mustang Beach event? I was planning to go on March 25-28, but I am hearing there may be issues with the organization there? I hear the chopper pulled out and that there may be issues with the locals wanting to shut the event down.
Any news would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!!

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

I just got home from this event. I left there about noon Friday 19 MAR 2010.

-- NO helo
-- NO beach landings (approval pending).
-- landing area is an open field near beach, which is bordered by TALL electric power poles/lines on one side (west side).
-- jumpship is twin otter
-- packing area is outdoors in sun and wind. There is a tiny shaded area.
-- packer IS available
-- weather forecast lousy for next couple of days.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Thanks Angle - just what I was looking for.

But overall, would you say there was a good vibe there? Enough people to get regular loads up? How many loads a day, on average?

Any idea if camping is allowed on the beach, or do you have to find an official campsite??

Thanks again!

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

Thanks Angle - just what I was looking for.

But overall, would you say there was a good vibe there? Enough people to get regular loads up? How many loads a day, on average?

Any idea if camping is allowed on the beach, or do you have to find an official campsite??

Thanks again!

Vibe: tough to say since the crowd I was with will be different than your crowd.

Thurs afternoon they got 3 or 4 loads up if my count is right.
Fri morning they got 3 or 4 loads up by noon.

Lots people camping on beach. (don't know how many were jumpers.)
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Word on the street is "SkydiveAtlas" has a long history of having great ideas and initiating them with great success.... then he shoots himself in the foot and flushes the whole thing down the drain as a result of ego, alcohol, drugs, and more ego.

This is research we wish we'd done a long time ago, but it appears to be exactly what's happening with this boogie. Good luck if you go.

I just got back and had a fantastic time. Beach landings are on and we moved up to a Super Otter from Spaceland.

The "vibe" is fantastic. The guys from Skydive Houston came down with Fast Andy and we put together a movie and pictorial spread which will be submitted to BSM. There's a good mix of people from Skydive Hawaii, the Ranch, Cali, Arkasas, etc., etc., and we've been partying it up every night and sometimes during the day.

Boogie goes until Sunday, so get your jump on.