ukjumper81

Perris in April

Hi, looking for some info on Perris please!

I'm an ex UK jumper with 150 jumps, havent jumped for nearly 3 years but looking to get my knees in the breeze again. Trying to get current in the UK weather early in the season is hard work so thought a trip to sunny California for a week would work better. I've had a look at the Perris website but was just wondering if anyone could provide info on:

1. Do you need a car to get from LA airport or is it best to get a ride to the DZ without having a car the whole week? Which leads to my next question...

2. Where is good to stay? Would rather stay on the or near the DZ and have a good time once the beer light is on than have to travel to a motel out of town.

3. Is Perris a good place to get recurrent? I would be up for whatever the instructors think is best to get me safely back in the air but have never jumped at a big DZ like this before!

4. Is it easy to get involved with the locals to get some people to jump with?!

Thanks in advance for any help!

San Diego or Ontario Intl. are much easier arrival airport to get to Perris.

A rental car is a good thing.

e-mail the DZ about lodging. There are a few large groups coming over and also the UK Collegiates.

The school staff and folks that jump there will be very helpfull. I'll make a leap or two with you.

Call or email DZ for place to stay. Last year they hooked us up with a really nice guy with a really nice house near the DZ (about 30min walk so still in driving range, no one walks in US), much cheaper than the hotel and we had a kitchen, couple of bathrooms, etc.

We used airport taxi to get us from LAX to Perris, but that might not have been such a good idea. You will need a car there so I'd suggest renting one. Public transport in US is virtually non-existent outside of big cities. You _could_ manage without the car, but you'd have to walk a bit to get to store (for supplies) and back, to get to DZ and back (unless you sleep in IHOP or bunkhouse)...
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

Getting a ride from Riverside to Perris (21 miles) would be easier. To get from LAX to Riverside try this.

LAX to Union Station Flyaway Bus...$7 one way
http://www.lawa.org/welcome_LAX.aspx?id=292

Riverside Line Monday-Friday ONLY...$11 one way
http://www.metrolinktrains.com/schedules/html.php?id=261

San Bernardino Line Saturday...$8.25 one way
http://www.metrolinktrains.com/schedules/html.php?id=361

San Bernardino Line Sunday...$8.25 one way

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/schedules/html.php?id=381

Thanks for the replies - one other thing is there load organising on weekdays / weekends / both?

Have you considered Elsinore?

LOs during the weekends and throughout the week, too (depending on who is there jumping or training).

Bunk house is cheap, wifi, closer to Ontario Int'l Airport, and closer to the "life." :P

I would seriously consider it. In any case, a car rental would be ideal since you can go to both DZ's... and the one south in San Diego! 3 DZ's in one day... only in California. B|

BTW... our weather lately has been 80*F/27*C. ;)
"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett