NicoNYC

I'm nervous as hell!

I just recuperated from two seperate downwind landing incidents. I susstained a broken ankle from the first incident last year and the second one I broke one of my hand bones. After 5 mos. of recuperation, I am doing my recertification dive tomorrow. The past 5 months I have been reading several skydiving incident reports and it has not eased my mind one bit. I'm scared and nervous about the landing but I am still going to go through with it because this is what I've always wanted to do. Any tips on how I can shake off this nervousness and fear? Maybe a couple of prayers on my behalf?

How many hits of adrenaline can you take?

I'll be praying for you :)
As far as advice: if you can, wait for a load with a definite wind direction (6-8 mph) it may help, but remember to check for any change once under canopy.
Also, my wife and I visited Deland, FL for Scott Miller’s canopy control instruction when we had about 35-40 jumps and it was some of the best money we ever spent. We have progressed much faster than we ever could have without it. I'd bet there is someone (knowledgeable) in your area willing to give you instruction/coaching for a very reasonable rate. If not, you might try talking to any of the CreW pilots on the DZ—ask one of them to watch (or maybe even video, if possible) your landing(s) and offer some advice. There is some comfort in knowing someone is watching and waiting to help you get to the next level…good luck!
Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.

Plan Ahead: Just as you plan your skydive, plan what your going to do once your under canopy. ("I'm going to stage here. I'll start downwind at xxx Feet, etc.."). Note the wind direction as you board the aircraft. Remember it may change!
Plan for contingencies: Since things do go wrong it's always nice to have a contingency. This can be as simple as, "If I can't make it back, I'll find the biggest area I can reach, and aim for the middle".
THINK Ahead: Once you get under canopy, think ahead as to what your going to do. Don't get backed into a corner. Check the current ground winds as quickly as you can. Watch canopies below you. (assuming they're not doing intentional downwinders).
Feet & Knees together, kness slightly bent. Do a complete flare and keep those hands in.
PLF! PLF! PLF! PLF!
Have Fun. Be Safe. :)PS: this doesn't seem to be a post for the incidents. maybe canopy & swooping?
'In an insane society a sane person seems insane.' Mr. Spock

I know the feeling you are going through about the landings.
On my 3rd jump, I didn't flare at all. I got nervous on the landing approach by watching the ground instead of the horizon. I was approaching in about half brakes, then I suddenly raised my arms back to full flight (see it on the video). This didn't give the canopy time to recover and I smacked and bounced. (awesome video though! looked like EVIL KNIEVEL on a jump gone bad) I didn't break anything, but was so sore everywhere, that I wasn't able to jump for about 3 weeks.
Needless to say, it took me 10-15 more landings to stop being anxious on the landing approach.
Why are you having to do downwind landings? Is it because you under shoot the landing area, and don't want to make a turn that is too low?
If that's the case, there's an article on here or the internet about making slow, flat turns and another about how important it is to be able to fly your canopy through it's full range (slow or half-brake flying). I've practiced both at altitude on many jumps and have had to use them on some landings that I've missed the landing zone. I've turned what should have been a downwind landing into a crosswind landing and I stand them up.
hope this helps.

Brian

It's kind of a catch-22. Being confident is a whole lot of what it takes to land well. Try not to think about it...picture yourself landing perfectly in your head over and over, practice your landing flare at altitude a couple times, remember to fly your pararchute all the way to the ground, prepare to plf and you'll be fine.

Good for you for keeping trying. The best thing i could think of would be to watch the wind sock not just on the ground but in the air, and if you find your self coming in downdwind... keep flying all the way down and PLF, keep your feet and knees together and when they are on the ground cross your hands over you chest, don't grab the ground with anything and just let the PLF happen.

The flight isn't over till you stop moving.

Good luck,

Bill

have fun, love life, be nice to the humans

Gotcha. I was going to describe my two idiotic incidents in detail but I figured I should spare myself the embarassment instead. I am ashamed of myself!

I've moved this posting to the swooping and canopy control forum.

If not, you might try talking to any of the CreW pilots on the DZ—ask one of them to watch (or maybe even video, if possible) your landing(s) and offer some advice.

Thanks. I'm definitely going to ask a videographer to capture my landing not just the freefall.

Plan Ahead: Just as you plan your skydive, plan what your going to do once your under canopy.

Plan for contingencies: Since things do go wrong it's always nice to have a contingency. This can be as simple as, "If I can't make it back, I'll find the biggest area I can reach, and aim for the middle".

THINK Ahead: Once you get under canopy, think ahead as to what your going to do. Don't get backed into a corner. Check the current ground winds as quickly as you can. Watch canopies below you. (assuming they're not doing intentional downwinders).

Feet & Knees together, kness slightly bent. Do a complete flare and keep those hands in.

PLF! PLF! PLF! PLF!

Great tips. Thanks and I will definitely keep these tips in mind. However, I was really unsure how to PLF when I was top heavy as I was in final. I felt as if my head were leaning forward and my feet were behind me. Any tips?

On my 3rd jump, I didn't flare at all. I got nervous on the landing approach by watching the ground instead of the horizon.

I think that's what I was doing when I first got injured. I was coming in so fast downwind I kept my eyes on the ground. Instead of reacting I was thinking "Holy Sh*t, that's fast!"

Why are you having to do downwind landings? Is it because you under shoot the landing area, and don't want to make a turn that is too low?

That's totally it dude! I read about too many fatalities from low altitude turns. It's embedded in my mind to never do a turn in low altitude.

If that's the case, there's an article on here or the internet about making slow, flat turns and another about how important it is to be able to fly your canopy through it's full range (slow or half-brake flying). I've practiced both at altitude on many jumps and have had to use them on some landings that I've missed the landing zone. I've turned what should have been a downwind landing into a crosswind landing and I stand them up.

Can I execute these turns agressively and abruptly? Or should these flat turns be done slowly and carefully? Also, do I fly both toggles in half brakes first then release a toggle? I've done this in high altitude but I've never executed this in altitudes below 2000ft.

hope this helps.

This definitely helps dude. I just need to know how to execute this without losing my nerve the next time I'm in this predicament.

You can't shake off the fear. I broke my leg when I flared too high on AFF 3 then broke my arm on AFF 8. My personal ability to judge height and speed, depth perception that kinda stuff was really poor when I came in on the 9 cell student canopies. The flat glide of the canopy really made it hard to judge my landings. I tried a canopy with a steeper decent angle (7 cell Triathlon) and no more broken bones!!
Face your fear, power through it...you're a skydiver!

Mrs. Kirils

Just a suggestion,jump with a radio so an instructor can advise you if necessary.As with AFF.May help....

Most definitely. It will be quite a few more "on my feet" landings before I trust using my own judgement again.

It's kind of a catch-22. Being confident is a whole lot of what it takes to land well. Try not to think about it...picture yourself landing perfectly in your head over and over, practice your landing flare at altitude a couple times, remember to fly your pararchute all the way to the ground, prepare to plf and you'll be fine.

Very Zen of you. I will definitely do this. I will take this cool and calm approach and always picture and stage my dives and landings in my head while I'm up on the airplaine.

Good for you for keeping trying. The best thing i could think of would be to watch the wind sock not just on the ground but in the air, and if you find your self coming in downdwind... keep flying all the way down and PLF, keep your feet and knees together and when they are on the ground cross your hands over you chest, don't grab the ground with anything and just let the PLF happen.

Grabbing the ground and not PLFing was my problem. I was coming in so fast and top heavy I was afraid my head was going to hit the asphalt. So, as a natural human reaction, I put my hand out in front of my face.

You can't shake off the fear. I broke my leg when I flared too high on AFF 3 then broke my arm on AFF 8. My personal ability to judge height and speed, depth perception that kinda stuff was really poor when I came in on the 9 cell student canopies. The flat glide of the canopy really made it hard to judge my landings. I tried a canopy with a steeper decent angle (7 cell Triathlon) and no more broken bones!!
Face your fear, power through it...you're a skydiver!

Mrs. Kirils, you are indeed an inspiration. 7 cell main, hmmm...I'm not too keen on wing loading and aspect ratios but I would assume that your coming pretty fast with that main. My hats off to you!

good luck on your landing, just a thought: can you ask for a long straight approuch? something like in 500fts get to your final leg (against the wind). That might ease the nervous part.

Wouldn't you need a long stretch and a fairly large landing area to do this? This sounds good. However, the problem with this is that if I extend the final approach greater than 300 feet, I may or may not be above the runway. Being below turning props would definitely not ease my nerves. What I will do is check out the distance and ask an instructor about this. Thanks for the tip.

Can I execute these turns agressively and abruptly?
these are slower turns, but you can react and execute them quickly with practice.
Also, do I fly both toggles in half brakes first then release a toggle?
Pull both toggles down, say should height, the pull down a little further with the toggle to execute the turn.
Remember, that I only have 75 jumps. I'm not a canopy flying expert. I've just been learning too. But, the flat turn works.

Brian

Pull both toggles down, say should height, the pull down a little further with the toggle to execute the turn.

Thanks for the tip. I just s/w my old AFF Jumpmaster earlier today, he said you can do those minor adjustments and even fly at 1/4 brakes on final up until 100ft. Then, you have to resume in full flight.

Remember, that I only have 75 jumps. I'm not a canopy flying expert. I've just been learning too. But, the flat turn works.

Dude, that doesn't mean a thing. Experience and sharing knowledge among eachother has nothing to do with how much FF time you have. Every bit of new information that you discover on you own and that you share with others is valuable. I'm not saying that it's applicable for everyone but at least it can give others ideas or a place to start from. Thanks again for the tips.

Man i so get that is the natural human reaction thing, but we form those reactions doing natural human things, not flying.

When you plf you should be hitting on your shoulder and not your face, heheh but then i am sure you have figured that out.

Is the landing area asphalt, dude that is a harsh landing surface anyway, good you didn't break more bones...

Still all in all, gotta love the stick to it atitude you have. Really once you stand one or two up you will start to see what you did and just keep doing the same thing... Think about a canopy control class or two as soon as you can, they really help.

much luck to you.

Bill

have fun, love life, be nice to the humans

Man i so get that is the natural human reaction thing, but we form those reactions doing natural human things, not flying.

I hear ya bro. I was always so cool, calm, collective and quick on the reflexes. I've had my major line twists, one of my leg straps come undone, running on crosswind landings, PLFing on downwind landings, etc. However, when I took a month off, had 3 hours sleep the night before and witnessed two non-fatal accidents I was a bit overwhelmed. I saw that ground coming in fast and I kept looking at the ground instead. What a mistake that was.

When you plf you should be hitting on your shoulder and not your face, heheh but then i am sure you have figured that out.

I've learned a great deal from my stupidity.

Is the landing area asphalt, dude that is a harsh landing surface anyway, good you didn't break more bones...

Well, it really isn't. I just overshot my target on final and hit the taxiway.

Still all in all, gotta love the stick to it atitude you have. Really once you stand one or two up you will start to see what you did and just keep doing the same thing... Think about a canopy control class or two as soon as you can, they really help.

If you really love something or dream about doing something all your life, you should stick to it no matter what. I have learned so much from my accident. It's made me more aware and educated me of obvious dangers both fatal and non fatal.

much luck to you.

Thanks. I need more than luck to be safe. I have to be in the right state of mind and act more quickly to react.

You may have already done the jump by the time
you read this, but if not ... hang in there. The "fear
demons" work overtime after an injury. You might
even feel physically sick anticipating the jump.

Once you get past this you'll feel GREAT! There's
no better feeling (except maybe sex) than over-
coming fears! Just keep mentally reviewing every-
thing you'll do on the jump.

Yea, I'll say some prayers for you ... I don't
carry much weight with the Guy upstairs, but
you'll do fine anyway.

I remember my first 10 - 15 bad landings. It does make you apprehensive. Get someone to watch/video your landings. It helps a lot more then it costs. I took Scott Miller's canopy control course and it was well worth the cost. Plus a small prayer can't hurt. Hang in there and good luck.