popsjumper

Dubai sand in your...

So...the lucky ones competitors are there. Does anyone know where, if any place, results of the "competition" will be posted/announced?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I thought they were only going to get something like one or two practice jumps due to having to use helicopters and shutting down airspace or something like that?

The US team is roughly the World Cup team, with a couple substitutions, as I understand it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Team members are on this page (click on the "participants" link for each category). Haven't seen any results here yet but maybe they'll also post them on the site.

http://www.emiratesaviation.org/dubaiteams.html
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I thought they were only going to get something like one or two practice jumps due to having to use helicopters and shutting down airspace or something like that?

We were told that we would get 2-5 practice jumps, but those that were here early got to do more at $15 a jump.

The competition has started with 1 or two rounds in each event being completed.

The dropzone is really well laid out and they have thown an unprecedented amount of money at it. The opening ceremony was quite spectacular.

One guy from Brazil hit quite hard in the distance event today, he is O.k. but was quite dazed, was unconcious for a little i was told. I was in the chopper when it happened. Not sure of his name at this point.

The swooping can only be held first thing in the morning and late in the afternoon due to tides, we have been released for the day, it is hot and dusty so I might go snowboarding?:D:SB|!

I'll post some updates as news comes to be, if somebody else doesn't first.

I'll also try to get some photos happening!:P
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

here are a couple of photos, nothing too exciting.

Looking through them reminds me that I need to get my camera out more!!! I'll do that tomorrow and get some more photos of the DZ and stuff on for y'all.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Didn't you say that this was going to be your first real swoop comp? Care to express your experience with the comp, in terms of being an experienced skydiver/swooper and trying out the competitive world?

This is my first swoop comp, although I have competed in freestyle skydiving at the world meet/world cup 3 times before.

This competition is well run, the accomodation is above expectation, the food is above expectation, the weather is above expectation and the facilities are above expectation.

We are released when they know we are not going to jumps anymore.

the Prince was here yesteray and was very happy with the set up and announced that this will be an annual event.

I will definately be coming every year...

Any specific questions i'll be happy to answer!

This is my first swoop comp, although I have competed in freestyle skydiving at the world meet/world cup 3 times before.

Cool!

How was the transition from DZ swooper to swooping gates, course with flying strategy?

I started competitive swooping on the local level when I had just started to swoop, so I was wondering how the transition was for someone with many more jumps and experience. I think there is an incredible amount of canopy piloting talent out there that simply isn't willing to take the time to practice with gates a little bit and try a competition. Which is too bad.

To be perfectly honest, I did not get too much practice before, and have never hit gates over a pond/water before coming here.

my accuracy has always been pretty good though, so it hasn't seemed to take too long.

The practice rounds, the 1st distance and the second round of accuracy I missed the gates. I have scored every round since. and have a better formula to make the entry more likley.

I am fortunate to come from a country that does not have many competative skydivers, I bet there are plenty of people in the USA that deserve to be here over me but with the PD factory team and arizona airspeed, it doesn't leave many slots.

there are however international teams so if one (you) really wanted to participate here, I am sure they would accomodate you.

We just completed the speed rounds and I scored each one, only the results of the first round are official but I am ranked 13th (in speed)at the mo.

shannon for pd factory team got a 0 today so i will score higher than him for sure, but we are all human right?

One thing that I have had going for me is tight landing areas with not much outs so i have really had to be on my game for high performance landings...

I hope to score the rest of the rounds, but already I am more than happy with my performance.

It is really nice to watch the best guys and see that they are humble people. everybody is really cool and enjoying thamselves.

see you here next year?

Yep, it's still closed I'm afraid. Me and my husband work here. Right now we do not have any idea as to when it will be reopening but they assure us it will be. We are still employed by them so they must think it will be soon.

Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can do today