LuckyMcSwervy

2010 Puerto Rico Boogie

Heres the video of the new area. Im having trouble with the gopro helmet mount. I had to adjust the angle from exit since I hit the wing lol and after it takes a good gust of wind it bends over a bit. I tightened the screw on the side but it still moves out =(
Has anyone tried the side pivot mount? That might work better for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nXOHkb2EKg

Post the landing! :o I'm most curious to see how big the field looks on final approach, below 1000ft.

+ 1 I was all excited to see the landing area from your perspective and then bam!! DONE!!
If you can post the landing, I think I speak for a bunch of us that would really appreciate it!!

Did you biff your landing and not want us all to see?? If so, wait until you see how graceful I am. :P

BTW - You're flying video already?? I think you're as much of a low timer as I. :o
Always be kinder than you feel.

Heres the video of the new area. Im having trouble with the gopro helmet mount. I had to adjust the angle from exit since I hit the wing lol and after it takes a good gust of wind it bends over a bit. I tightened the screw on the side but it still moves out =(
Has anyone tried the side pivot mount? That might work better for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nXOHkb2EKg

Post the landing! :o I'm most curious to see how big the field looks on final approach, below 1000ft.

+ 1 I was all excited to see the landing area from your perspective and then bam!! DONE!!
If you can post the landing, I think I speak for a bunch of us that would really appreciate it!!

Did you biff your landing and not want us all to see?? If so, wait until you see how graceful I am. :P

BTW - You're flying video already?? I think you're as much of a low timer as I. :o

I turned off before landing but it was ok for me, though I do not plan to land on the strip again! Its all rocky and shit, with some sand but if you see the runway, all the way to the other end, theres a nice field of grass where i will be landing for the entire boogie. You have to walk across the parking lot but its no biggie, I prefer to be more safe! Ive seen guys with the same amount of jumps I got (80s) getting their asses hit kind of hard so I recommend that everyone that not always lands on their feet to use the area at the other side of the runway so we can all enjoy this boogie without any accidents! I did land out today and I but slided since the area I landed had high grass and I couldn't run in it but it was as soft as a pillow. You dont even have to search for outs on your car cause there are PLENTY. The area I landed today was huuuge and the grass was tall and soft since its that shit you feed cows and what not. Remember guys, this place made the boogie possible and taking the sandy runway aside, its one hell of an awesome place to jump! We all had so much fun today! I cant wait for Wednesday! See you all soon!

PD: The landing patterns will be better discussed at the boogie, landing on the runway is not unsafe as it has a dirt field on the right but again, there is a nice grass field, for those unexperienced, that I recommend landing on. Its my own opinion, ill let you guys check it out yourselves on the boogie.

Did you guys all get the email about no turns more then 180 Degrees :(

Frowns for safety? :S

wak...

landing restrictions usually will make me cross whatever boogie/dz it is right off the list...

a 180 is a more dangerous turn then a 270 anyway...its a retarded rule..
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

What an awesome boogie!

one little thing though... Anybody happen to grab the wrong red/black Rums of PR bag?? I had mine lying somewhere in the packing area and when I landed from the last load it was gone... I'm assuming someone might have grabbed it by mistake.
So if you have it... and there's a little red hard drive inside, a bunch of gopro mounts, sunscreen, I dunno what else... please please please let me know! I will give you a reward! I just want some files off that hard drive... like all my footage from the first day of the boogie, for example.

I heard there were numerous broken bones at this boogie...... is that true?

And if so can you tell us why?

I did not witness any of them firsthand but I heard of a femur and a heel. I would imagine the reason was that they contacted the ground too hard. :|

More specifically, the main LZ was a narrow asphalt field with trees creating wind shear at 20-30ft. Good thing I never landed there... most of us wingsuiters went to the beach every single time. Nice and soft... just don't fall in the 15ft surf and drown!
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

At the risk of getting several replies to my post I am going to state the puerto rico boogie as I saw it. The runway was just adequate and the landing area really sucked. Just ask the many people with broken bones and ripped jump suits cuts and bruises. The DZ was thrown together last minute and the landing area was gravel and hard dirt and not large enough for most a and b license holders. Most, if not all, did not want to land at the dz. The beach was my choice and I had no problems, however when the low time jumpers started crashing they closed it down to all, even the pro and d license holders. The winds were cross winds for the entire boogie so most people, trained to land into the wind, tried landing at the dz and on the beach heading into the trees (at both landing areas). The planes should have been shut down and everyone told not to land into the wind at either landing area and to land crosswind. If you cannot do a crosswind landing, then dont jump. Then fire the planes back up again. At the dz if you landed short (into the wind like most did) you were on the runway. If you went long you ended up in the trees, (same at both landing areas.) If you were going long, I saw a lot of people stop flaring to avoid the landing flair (swoop) into the trees, thus pounding in...on gravel. I saw people doing the same on the beach however if you did come up short you were in the ocean. I personally saw two people land just beyond the water triumphantly, and then their canopy fell behind them into the surf and then the receding water dragged them in. In this case they should have cut away and then grabbed their canopy by the fabric from behind and easily pulled it out of the water. They did not do this and they had several spectators try and drag a 400 pound canopy full of water out by the lines. They fought the surf and the skydiver was dragged in and out several times. Probably a ripped canopy. I know three girls that went to help a skydiver who had their canopy caught in the trees on the dz. When they returned their purses were gone...bad security. The trolly did not run all the time and you had to find your own ride back from the beach. This wouldnt be so bad but you never knew when the trolly wasnt running and when to arrange for your own ride. The area for the dz was shared with some sort of park for locals so there were too many non skydivers taking up all the parking and creating a 15 minute drive out the short drive to get out of the dz with really messed up parking. This will probably end up being the permanent DZ for xtreme divers and it will be great for a cessna and 25 jumpers 4 or 5 at a time. It is not equipped for a boogie at this moment. The owners will have to do a lot of work to make it boogie caliber...lets hope they dont wait til last minute for 2011. My girlfriend with 63 jumps could not jump the safer beach landing area (c license or better) and did not want to land at the small gravel dz landing area. She did not get any jumps in. We did not get a welcome bag this year or last year. If you went up with the plane and for some reason had to come down you did not get a refund. I would really love to support any skydiving related function but this one made it difficult.

Scott, a lot of what you say is true, unfortunately.

But, you say several times that "most" people tried landing into the wind (toward the south) at the DZ and at the beach. This isn't true. I saw a few fools landing south at the beach (some in the bushes and some in the water) but that was only a few... and at the DZ I only saw one person who didn't land parallel to the runway (he was heading north and landed in trees)... though it did seem people were coming in BOTH directions parallel to the runway every load.

I agree about not landing at the DZ... I only went to the beach. And the crowds of vehicles in the entry way were indeed VERY frustrating. Interest from whuffos is great, but there had to be 5 whuffos for every jumper... there was hardly even room to walk, let alone get a car out of there...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I've done many beach jumps on at least 7 different beaches.

The only times I didn't land parallel with the water was possibly at Wildwood New Jersey which is HUGE and one other time at another beach when I had a canopy collapse over the water (turbulence + too deep of brakes like an idiot) and barely made the wet sand.

Every place I've been to it's always been pattern over the water, land up the beach or down the beach.

Crosswind landings on sand are very forgiving. Even done a few downwinders and just sugar cookied... :)
Hope they have this boogie again as I'd like to go next year. :)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Since my girlfriend wasnt jumping I spent several hours on the beach for two seperate days. I know most people land and then leave, so maybe they didnt see as much as I did. I did not spend a lot of time at the dz but the short amount of time I did spend there I saw a lot of people landing hard and in the trees (canopies mostly) and there were a lot of rips cuts and bruises. When I say most people I was talking about the low timers...the swoopers and d and pro rating holders were having a blast. My two beach landings were great I jump a velo 84, not very affected by the winds.

I've done many beach jumps on at least 7 different beaches.

The only times I didn't land parallel with the water was possibly at Wildwood New Jersey which is HUGE and one other time at another beach when I had a canopy collapse over the water (turbulence + too deep of brakes like an idiot) and barely made the wet sand.

Every place I've been to it's always been pattern over the water, land up the beach or down the beach.

Crosswind landings on sand are very forgiving. Even done a few downwinders and just sugar cookied... :)
Hope they have this boogie again as I'd like to go next year. :)

I went to Emerald Coast's Beach Boogie one memorial weekend where every other load was going to the beach over the Florabama bar. I made like 6 beach jumps in one day. The interesting thing was, the wind changed every damn jump. I made at least one landing in each direction - north south east and west. Being somewhat of a personal accuracy expert, I had no problems. However, not everybody can hit the beach flying perpendicular to it, especially if it's only 20 yards wide or so. This is where knowing how to land crosswind comes into play.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If you went up with the plane and for some reason had to come down you did not get a refund.

Isn't this the policy at most dz's- pay your money, take your chances?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

If you went up with the plane and for some reason had to come down you did not get a refund.

Isn't this the policy at most dz's- pay your money, take your chances?

Pretty much. They are still using up fuel and have to pay for it somehow. I don't remember ever getting a refund for any of the loads that had to come back down full.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The runway was just adequate and the landing area really sucked.....The DZ was thrown together last minute and the landing area was gravel and hard dirt and not large enough for most a and b license holders.

I agree it sucked, remember this was a forest 2 weeks ago, but 100' wide x 1000'+ long is not small for any license. If some people get fixated on landing close to the packing tents and they didnt have the skill, thats their bad decission. I guess some people didnt looked or understand the aerial picture showing the loooong landing area.

The beach was my choice and I had no problems, however when the low time jumpers started crashing they closed it down to all, even the pro and d license holders.

I did all my jumps at the beach, and it was closed for a few hours because the tide, mixed with the big swell was making the landing zone narrower, not because of low timers crashing. When the tide stopped coming up, the beach was open again.

The winds were cross winds for the entire boogie so most people, trained to land into the wind, tried landing at the dz and on the beach heading into the trees (at both landing areas).

The winds, when they were a factor (10mph+), were parallel to the runway and the beach. The few times when it was variable it was slow enough to not make any difference if they were cross or not. Anyway, landing patterns were discussed in the loading tent prior to boarding the plane on ALL my jumps, and it was repeated many many times thru the speakers at the DZ, if they decided to go againts the plan thats their bad decission again. They should know not to board the plane if they are not comfortable with 5mph cross wind landings.

It is not equipped for a boogie at this moment. The owners will have to do a lot of work to make it boogie caliber.

Agreed.

My girlfriend with 63 jumps could not jump the safer beach landing area (c license or better) and did not want to land at the small gravel dz landing area.

Good decission.

Over here you pay for the ride up, not for the jump. I thought it was like that everywhere else.
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

Forgot to mention. There was the option of the grassy field west of the runway, on the other side of the parking. But that would mean you have to walk for 2 minutes :S

I've been around long enough to know that I'd rather walk than be carried out. :|

If I go up in the plane intending to jump and the dz calls it because of clouds or the surf is too high and there are a lot of skydivers wearing sandles or even bare footed and they cant land in the gravel provided landing area and they have to ride the plane down then they should be on the next load that goes up with the ticket from the previous load. Yes you could probably say be prepared and dont wear sandles or be barefoot. I always wear shoes but lots dont like to especially when landing in the sand.

The cypres flags were facing north every time I looked at them. I agree coming from chicago the winds were not high but again think about how many 100 jump and under skydivers there were there. They also have larger canopies then we do. The landing area was 1000 feet long but the winds were cross and I dont think 100 feet wide is large. Who cares how large it is when the whole 100 by 1000 is ALL gravel and hard pack clumped dirt who wants to land there.
I think most paid top jump prices and top dollar registration fees for a sub par dz. If the owners couldnt get it up to par in time then all fees and possibly landing with the plane should have been taken in consideration.