LuckyMcSwervy

2010 Puerto Rico Boogie

So now were at Vega Baja Airfield?

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/PR/Airfields_PR_W.html

Scroll down to Vega Baja Auxiliary Airdrome, Vega Baja, PR. Previously used for illegal drag racing and drop off point for the drug cartels, I don't know about thoes tennis courts though...

From the vantage point of the last picture.... not many "outs", huh??
Always be kinder than you feel.

Looks pretty tight, you'll have to be on point under canopy especially if the winds are honkin'. I would review your water landing EP's as well!

From the site:
http://www.xtremedivers.com/vegabaja.shtml

The landing area/airport looks narrow but is long.

Outs seem limited directly adjacent to the airport but past the trees looks like some landing area that could be used.

If winds are high, you can go with the wind a long ways to find a good landing are if needed. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

The landing area/airport looks narrow but is long.

I am not going to be there, but that airfield looks mighty tight to be running this type of event.

According to the historical website the runway was 4000' long. By looking at the Google Earth picture, all those obstructions give about 2000' useable. And by the picture that useable has trees growing in the middle of it.
3 otters w/ 23 per load. That's alot of traffic for that little area.

This area has been cleared and is getting conditioned right now.
Its about 2000' x 300' ....

Does the adjacent neighborhood have a lot of power lines/wires?

This girlie will definitely be taking a nice drive around the area looking for places I can land off safely, just in case. ;)
Always be kinder than you feel.

This area has been cleared and is getting conditioned right now.
Its about 2000' x 300' ....

Every year I've been to PR boogie in Arecibo, the wind is always coming from west east. I hope it's the same here. If it was somehow north or south (unlikely, I think), there could be nasty turbulence from all those trees surrounding the narrow landing area.

I'd rather land on the beach every time! B| 2-3 beach jumps a day is better than 5 airport jumps. ;)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I was gonna remind you about the wind direction, but you edited :P So yes, wind comes form the east like in Arecibo.

I'd rather land on the beach every time! 2-3 beach jumps a day is better than 5 airport jumps.

Thats my plan. Considering the beach landing area is only 1 mile away, I dont see any reason not to do 5 beach jumps a day.
Heres a 1 minute video of the 4 hours I spent on the roller today. You can see its already been cleared and we are working on the conditioning. The place was abandoned for 20yrs+ B|
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN_Bl7Z6Ih8
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

I was gonna remind you about the wind direction, but you edited :P So yes, wind comes form the east like in Arecibo.

I'd rather land on the beach every time! 2-3 beach jumps a day is better than 5 airport jumps.

Thats my plan. Considering the beach landing area is only 1 mile away, I dont see any reason not to do 5 beach jumps a day.
Heres a 1 minute video of the 4 hours I spent on the roller today. You can see its already been cleared and we are working on the conditioning. The place was abandoned for 20yrs+ B|
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN_Bl7Z6Ih8

Aww, I was hoping it would be the whole 4 hours compressed to 1 minute timelapse. :D What are you making, the pad for the tent?

That field is going to get VERY muddy if it rains, and all that mud will get tracked into the tent. B|

On the plus side, maybe you will find some drugs left over from the cartels and get rich! B|
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Sorry guys, ive been swamped with college work and I just got to read these posts.

Good thing yeyo can pick you up. If yeyo cant pick you up, then let me know, ill leave you my cellphone via PM. I have not seen the new area yet! ill probably head down there this weekend and get a belly video of the area for you guys! From yeyo's and Jason's point of view, it looks like a pretty darn nice area and this time, it looks like you can actually WALK to the beach from the DZ!

ETA: There's no way I'll get my 100th at the boogie. The weather in Z-Hills last weekend and me cancelling my Sebastian trip due to the weather forecast this weekend has thrown a monkey wrench into my 100th plans. There's no way I can get 20 jumps in at the boogie. :(

why do you think you can't get 20?
you're going to be there for the entire duration of the event, correct?
last year I got over 20 jumps in and that's with being lazy, without jumping the first day cause it was windy, and then slow calls on the weekend cause 2 aircraft were not enough anymore (and we had a big group so it was harder to manifest)... and still got to jump a lot. I'm sure you can get 20 jumps in, no problem. Going for high altitude loads in the morning helps... cause they determine you to wake up early even after all that partying.
5 jumps a day for 4 days is easily doable. Even 6 a day is not pushing it that bad when there's lots of load organizers to keep you going.
I say go for it!

I have to either buy the tickets to reach 100 in the boogie or spend my money on valentines day...

I am actually going to dump my girl and try and get back with her after valentines! all for the sake of getting the jumps I want in the boogie! come on! you CAN do 20 in two days!

Heres the video of the new area. Im having trouble with the gopro helmet mount. I had to adjust the angle from exit since I hit the wing lol and after it takes a good gust of wind it bends over a bit. I tightened the screw on the side but it still moves out =(
Has anyone tried the side pivot mount? That might work better for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nXOHkb2EKg

Heres the video of the new area. Im having trouble with the gopro helmet mount. I had to adjust the angle from exit since I hit the wing lol and after it takes a good gust of wind it bends over a bit. I tightened the screw on the side but it still moves out =(
Has anyone tried the side pivot mount? That might work better for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nXOHkb2EKg

Post the landing! :o I'm most curious to see how big the field looks on final approach, below 1000ft.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com