chuckakers

Formation Load Speedstar Competition in Houston

This sounds pretty cool. On Saturday, November 21st, Skydive Houston is hosting a 10-way formation load speedstar meet. The competition will consist of 6 rounds, with 5 jumpers exiting from each of 2 PAC750's flying in formation.

Air to air video judging. B license or 50 jumps and current to compete. This is a scrambles style meet, so no need to bring a team. Register individually!

Cost to compete is $15 plus $22 per jump - includes air-to-air team video, medals for the top 3 teams, a competition DVD for all competitors, dinner, and the first 4 kegs of beer.

Party and catered dinner after the competition - and Turkey Bowling for big prizes!!! Knowing SDH, it will be a great party.

Should be a good time. SDH has had a good feel lately and the PAC's are damn fast with steps and handles all over the place.

The DZ is registering people now at the DZ or via e-mail at [email protected].

See ya there. 5 left and cut....
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I'll see you there! I suggest people get on my team. That's the team that will be taking gold. It is also the team that will float all of the kegs before anyone else gets any. B|

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/event.php?eid=207642899534&index=1

108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Heard a rumor that the 2nd PAC is literally brand spanking new (unjumped). So, assuming that is correct, I have to pose a question. Does everyone on the first load owe beer, the pilot ... all ... ????
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

This is a copy+paste from Todd's email:

10-Way Formation Speedstar Scrambles Competition at Skydive Houston on November 21, 2009

We will have two PAC750XLs' and will put five members of each team on two separate planes with video. Make your formation average the fastest on the best of six team jumps and your team will medal. Open to B Licensed equivalent and above. Party, BEER and dinner to follow the great skydives along with the videographer awards for best videos' of the day.

Team Captains will be released on Monday, November 16, 2009. We are expecting at lease six teams in the scramblers based competition.

You can register online here or in person at manifest before 7:45 AM November 21, 2009.

Draw:
The draw of the one point dive flows for the six jumps will be held at Skydive Houston on Friday November 20, 2009 at 7:30PM. After the draw and manifest chugs a beer we will send the draw to the team captains only and put the draw on the board at Skydive Houston. Bunk rooms and air mattress parking is free in the packing area.

Experience Required:
USPA B-License or equivalent (50 jumps and current). The team captains will work with ALL skydivers and due their best to see them succeed, after all they want to medal. This event is about learning formation plane loads in small doses, healthy competition, being safe and having FUN! The team captains will assign a Plane Boss for the other plane and their other team members. So safety supervision will be tight on the newer jumpers.

Team Selection:
This will be a scrambles type competition with TEN members to a team. The team will be assigned a team captain, and 9 other experienced jumpers from all over Texas and hopefully beyond. Skydive Houston will classify jump numbers by:

50-200: Rookie
201-499: Intermediate
500+ Advanced
Team Captain: OPEN
Skydive Houston will pull the names out of each classification hat at 7:50 AM and put them with their team. The team will consist of 3 Rookies, 3 Intermediate, 3 Advanced, and the Team captain.
The team captain will then select his plane boss from the advanced skydivers for his secondary plane. This plane boss position is VERY important. Not only are they in charge of their four other team members, they are the only one besides the team captain to float and spot the formation load. The rest of the members will be behind the line. When the Team Captain leaves with his video the time starts. It’s up to the Plane Boss to leave also!

Jump Planes:
For this event we will be jumping two PAC750XLs. They have seating for 18 but we keep it at 14 average. The plane is a single turbine powered by at Pratt and Whitney PT6-34, low wing aircraft that can turn four loads an hour. For this event we will send it with the two teams of five and one videographer. That’s 11 on each plane and very comfortable for your seven min ride to 12,000’ which will be exit altitude. Stay OFF the runway, this plane can and will beat you down. (Unless you’re RD Latimer!!!!) Expect one jump an hour from when your feet hit the ground. Our Twin Otter is still down for heavy overhaul but we will have it back up in February/March 2010 just in time for the busy season with the PAC at her side.Â

Cost:
Per competitor, Skydive Houston requires a $15.00 Registration Fee. This covers the purchase of 36 medals, dinner, judging and four kegs of beer. Each Jump ticket is priced at $22.00 and the videographer is included with a DVD recording of all the teams’ jumps. Plus free entry into turkey bowling!

Party:
The night starts earlier so this is easy to do. 4 KEGS, dinner catered from one of Skydive Houston Teams. Good times with good friends, till 8:00PM then it’s the return of Turkey Bowling; All bets are off as we convert the DZ to a bowling alley. One round each, in two stellar Skydive Houston turkey lanes. 1st prize is $200.00 in jump credit, 2nd prize $100.00 in jump credit and 3rd is all of the turkeys bowled. Just in time for Thanksgiving. The highest scoring student will get 1 free jump (Next Student Jump).

Rules at Skydive Houston:
Violence will not be tolerated.
Drama will not be tolerated.
Respect others jumpers property.
No more than a 90 in the main landing area.
Doors open at 9:00AM Friday and close at 11:59 PM Sunday.
Keep the public nudity to a slight minimum.
You must have FUN.
Hit me up on Facebook

From the most recently sent out email:

We are only 2 days away from the fun, the BBQ is cooking, the kegs are chilling, and the captains have been announced.

Your speed star captains will be:

Scott Latinis :P
Simon Bones B|
RD Latimer :P
Henry Butler :P
Keith Mallett :P
RD Latimer :P
Ray Cordova :P

We will be releasing the draw on Friday night at 7:30pm. If you have not done so, please pre-register for the event at www.skydivehouston.com. Don't forget about the 2nd annual SDH Turkey Bowl after the sunset load on Saturday. We have $500 in prizes on the line, don't miss out!

See you all on Saturday at 8:00am.

Hit me up on Facebook

As much as I hate to admit it... he is that bad ass :|

So he's going to captain two teams, and make back-to-back loads all day, with multiple rigs and a packer, for 12 jumps in one day? Wow. And he's old too. It'll increase his odds of winning though. ;)

Wow, The event is over:) Saturday turned in to beerfest at 2:00pm due to weather. Sunday was our competition day. 36 PAC Loads, No injuries or cutaways. Great to see old friends and new.

We now know the PAC750XL will be the best plane to team up with our Super Twin Otter.

Have fun and stay safe everyone.

manifest out!
www.skydivehouston.com

A great event. It introduced speed stars to many new jumpers, and it was also the first-ever formation loads for many of the jumpers. The weather washed-out the entire day Saturday, but we made up for it on Sunday, with things running very smoothly, and both the fun jumpers and the tandems got all their jumps in, between the morning fog let-off and the early winter sunset. The Saturday night bonfire was stupendous, but it had to be "encouraged" with some jet-A fuel after soaking in the rain all day. A big hand of applause goes to DZO Todd Bell and all of the Skydive Houston staff.

The weekend had been scheduled to concentrate on fun jumper speed stars on Saturday, with very few tandems. The tandems were mostly all scheduled for Sunday. But when the weather went bad the entire day Saturday, this now meant that both the speed star competition AND all the tandems had to be accommodated in a single day. And everyone pulled together and did it. The speed star competition even completed about two hours before sunset.

Photos:
1) Twin PAC-750 flight line.
2) Nose-to-nose close up.
3) This one is so new it hasn't even had it's first birthday yet.

... AND ... our team managed to win in spite of Nate and my best efforts to the contrary ... thanks to Henry, Wendy, Jim, and some of the other very experienced folks ... ;)

As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

Well, I can't say I won it, but I didn't screw up ALL the jumps ... LOL! And yes ... first, and I put my name on the beer board before heading home that evening. My ear is still a little wacko from doing 6 in one day, but improving daily. If it's ok (and weather cooperates) I'll get out tomorrow and will bring the beer ... come on down!!!