domFF

Looking for DZs in Florida in Nov with good rental gear

Hello!
Me and my girlfriend are planning on a trip to Florida in November (winter in Germany really isn't that skydiver friendly) and are looking for some dropzones to go/stay. We will fly into Miami and stay for roughly two weeks (10.-22.) I have never been to any DZ in Florida and I have been reading the forums for the last few days now but could not really find the info I am looking for.
Since my girlfriend is pretty new to skydiving we need a DZ with good rental gear. I would be helpful to get some information on rental gear availability and prices. Can you rent at the gear stores there as well? We might end up buying some good stuff for her if we can find any.
BTW: Does the weather differ a lot from north to south in November? I have read about strong winds and stuff...
Thanks for any input/information that could be helpful on our trip.

Dom

Clewiston is terrible with their rental gear. The only time I went (back in August), they had like 7 rigs available in piss poor condition and had no shame in taking them off your back and giving them to students. When the rotation came to my rig, I had already packed it and we were minutes from boarding the plane. They gave it to the student with my packjob, even though I warned them about it.

The DZ itself has a great layout with a plane that pulls right up to the hangar. But if you're looking for quality and safety in gear rental, go elsewhere. They also charge $27 per jump for those rigs on top of the $25 jump fee.

I can only suggest DeLand, as it's the only other DZ I've been to (and the one I have pretty much all of my jumps at), and I can say that there is plenty of rental gear in good condition. I do not remember the price specifically, but I think it's $70 a day. It's about a 3.5-4 hour drive from Miami. Fun jumpers are hard to come by (but we do exist) and many of the loads are dominated by the Qatari military. Wednesday has been the best day for jumping in my opinion.
Dropzones are terrible places for inspiration. What does one think when one looks up for a sign only to see a bunch of people falling?

They'll be doing 100 ways in Deland the weekend of the 19-22, might be a fun thing to watch in between loads.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I agree, I used some of Skydive DeLands gear when I left my gear up north recently and its first class. The charge is $35 per jump or $70 for the whole day. They also require you use their packers for at least the last pack job.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

We at Skydive Air Adventures strive very hard to please all of our customers, however from the remarks posted it is obvious that we did not please this individual, and we apologize for that.
We would be honored to have you and yours at our facility, please visit our website www.skydivefl.com and you can call me personally on my cell phone 863-599-9187 and i would be happy to answer any of your questions. Rick Hornsby DZO

So, would you disagree that your rental rigs are in poor condition? Feel free to post what rigs you have to offer so jumpers can make an informed decision.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

+1

Living in Ohio, I am interested in all the info I can collect on Florida DZ's for winter jumping. You would be doing yourself a favor responding to the entire forum rather than having one person call you on your cellphone.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Thanks everybody. We went to Deland and it was perfect. Lots of good rental gear, well organised and friendly DZ. The staff members do everything to make people happy (even while having two 100 way teams doing backup loads on 5 airplanes), thanks guys.