danielshadwick

Good california DZ'S? Coastal?

Near San Francisco your best coastal views are probably going to come at Skydive Monterey Bay. You may want to call ahead to see if they're jumping (coast = fog much of the time).

However, if you want a busy up-jumper scene, you'll probably want to look at the other, somewhat less scenic, DZs in the area.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Not close to San Francisco, but the view is nice. :)
http://www.skydivesantabarbara.com/

"Additionally we are the only skydiving center in the Los Angeles area to offer tandem jumps from 18,000ft, the highest tandem jump in the world."

doesn't 18,000 feet require supplemental oxygen per FAA?
~Bones Knit, blood clots, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars.~

Not close to San Francisco, but the view is nice. :)
http://www.skydivesantabarbara.com/

"Additionally we are the only skydiving center in the Los Angeles area to offer tandem jumps from 18,000ft, the highest tandem jump in the world."

doesn't 18,000 feet require supplemental oxygen per FAA?

And? DZs that provide jumps to that altitude are also equipped to provide supplemental oxygen.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Back in May I made a little SoCal trip with a few friends. While the DZ isn't right on the ocean, Skydive San Diego had a gorgeous view of a reservoir, some surrounding mountains, and very consistent winds. The people were very nice as well.

If you are in SoCal for any period of time, you can hit Elsinore, Perris and San Diego all on the same trip. Agree with everything said about Skydive San Diego above. On a clear day, you can see the ocean from Elsinore. Don't recall ever seeing it from Perris, but Perris does have the tunnel if you want to play there. All three soCal DZ's have a great vibe, and good people. SoCal does not really have any DZ's directly on the coast.

Steve
GT

The view at Norcal Skydiving is pretty marvelous... No matter what, you will have the Anderson & Dry Creek valley wine areas, as well as Lake Sonoma and the Mayacamas mountains on a jumpable day. On a clearer day, you can see the Pacific Ocean and San Francisco. On the clearest of winter days, you can see the snow capped peaks of the Sierras as well as Mt Lassen and Mt Shasta. The bomb view, but out of a 182 or 206 so be ready for the laid-back pace a family DZ provides.

On the other hand, if you want to make 10+ jumps in a day, you can still see some mountains and a hint of the ocean in the valley DZ's, but the views in Cloverdale are particularly spectacular and worth the time in my opinion...
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

I agree about NorCal Skydiving, very family style laid back place. Yesterday was my first jump ever and the views were marvelous! Exactly what i have been looking for since moving to Sonoma County. There wasn't one instructor UNDER 18,000 total jumps. Daniel who i went up with had almost 11,000 Tandem jumps alone. Cool place, can't wait to save up and start some AFF training.

That's exactly what me and a few friends did back in May. Elsinore, Perris, and San Diego, in 4 days. 2 days spent at San Diego. Easy to hit them all, made 27 jumps total, was a great trip.

Skydive San Diego is beautiful. DZ is surrounded by mountains. The climbing for altitude is always going west, so you always have a great view of Coronado, Downtown San Diego (including the Coronado bridge), Mexico (Tijuana) and the Pacific ocean. It's a small DZ but with 2 twin otters and a Caravan, great people!
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.