bigpapasmurf01

Skydive Chicago or Chicagoland Skydive

You can't go wrong with either place--they are both class acts and both run the type of dropzone most others try to emulate.

I wish I had the "problem" of having to choose between these two...I would take that on a regular basis anytime!

Blue Skies and ENJOY!!!

Skydive Chicago has not had a fatal accident in several years. Every incident they have had has been the direct result of an experienced jumper pushing limits beyond what they should have been doing for the most part.

Either dropzone is a great spot for a first jump!
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

CSCB|

And one thing to keep in mind/remember that a 'incident' or 'fatality' at a certain DZ has no reflection upon the DZ and how it is run, but rather the lack of judgment by a certain individual. Also, I'm pretty sure SDC see's alot more jumpers than CSC, increasing any numbers you wish to look at.

My vote is CSC ;)

I did my first two tandems at CSC and my 3rd tandem and now AFP at SDC, so I can tell you from first hand experience that you won't be sorry with either choice. I know that doesn't help you much with your decision, so let me tell you some specific differences between the two drop zones.

CDC flies one Super Otter and one brand new PAC 750 aircraft. SDC flies two Super Otters and also a Cesna Grand Caravan. I've only ever jumped out of the Otters, and I'm glad because I'm a big guy (6'2" and 235 lbs) so even the Otter door feels a little small to me. The PAC and Caravan doors are both smaller, so if you're a big guy, you might want to find out what plane they'll likely be flying that day. Honestly though, I don't think door size is all that important for tandems.

Another difference is that CDC has benches in their planes. SDC doesn't (you sit on the floor of the plane). So, for tandem students on their way up to altitude, CDC has a much more comfortable ride. But once it comes time to start hooking up the students to the instructors, sitting on the floor is MUCH easier when the plane is full. Trying to hook up on a crowded Otter at CDC while sitting on the bench seats was a pain in the ass! Not so bad at SDC while sitting on the floor between your instructors legs. If the plane isn't full, then hookup is easy with or without benches. Sorry, but I have no experience hooking up tandems on the PAC 750 or the Caravan.

The atmosphere is different between the two DZs. CDC seems more laid back, and there were a lot of experienced jumpers and instructors just hanging out that actually seemed eager to sit and chat and tell lots of skydiving stories. But the instruction that they give for your first jump seems minimal compared to SDC, unless you happen to get an awesome Tandem Instructor, which they do have a few of. SDC is a lot busier DZ, so not quite so laid back, but the instruction was top notch. Because the tandems are actually a requirement if you want to get licensed through their AFP program, they seem to treat them as more than just a thrill ride.

A really big difference between the two DZs is how close spectators (family and friends) can be to the landing area to watch. At CDC, your friends and family will be at least a couple hundred feet from where you land (I'm estimating). At SDC they might be as little as twenty feet from you. It's fun to see people yelling to their family below as they prepare to land. Can't do that at CDC.

So you see, each place has its advantages. It really just depends on what's most important to you. Either way though, I'm sure you'll be happy. Enjoy your first jump! Maybe we'll be jumping together someday. B|

Ditto to much of what Inspired said. You can't go wrong with either one. Equally safe, with modern airplanes and equipment. I jump at Chicagoland Skydiving Center (CSC) regularly, but also go to Skydive Chicago (SDC) once and a while.

CSC is smaller, more intimate, and I've found more friendly to new jumpers. You'll have a better chance to mingle and talk with experienced jumpers, instructors and staff at CSC.

Your experience will depend greatly on what you want to get out of it, and how you approach it, either as an "amusement ride" to do once and go home. Or, stick around, talk to people, learn about the sport and go on to earn your license.

Thanks. I just heard that skydive chicago has about 1 death a year. I am nervous

You heard wrong, then.

The are both good DZs with above average equipment. SDC probably has the most immaculate facilities of any DZ in the country.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

sdc does about 75,000 tandems a year....and they dont have one death a year, thats an exaggeration. thats where i got my A license... I love that place.

Really? So they do about 205 tandems a day, every day of the year?

I think you may want to check your math. 7,500 sounds more realistic.

SDC is the shit! I worked there last season as a tandeminstructor and they do have the best gear and facilities and aircraft around. Safety is paramount for SDC. The AFP students come out with a lot more knowledge than would an aff student. I would put my life in the hands of any of the instructors there. By the way they jump A LOT there. Hope this helps.

Joel
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

Well actually they shut down in the winter time and so 205 tandems a day is a "low" estimate ;):D
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

Well actually they shut down in the winter time and so 205 tandems a day is a "low" estimate ;):D

They only do 200 tandems a day during the weekend too, the week is much slower. There are a lot of us teams that jump at SDC that realy keep the plane flying. SDC Rhthym does 16 jumps a day, Standard (Rooks team) does 8 or more, we (The Flying Fish) try for 8 or more on Saturdays, and 6 on Sundays. SDC wasn't what I was expecting based on people that used to jump there, they are much better. They do treat every tandem as a training jump, even Grandma. The only complaint I can think of is that the pea pit is miles from the hangar, it would be nice if they picked people up that land there. We landed at the Mobil station by I 80 once and walked much less than landing at the peas.
I haven't been to CSC yet, but we have a meet there this weekend. I hear the landing area is small, but I guess that depends on what you're used to. I've heard it's a little smaller than a football field. That should be fine as long as you fly a good pattern.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.