frogout

Dubai DZ

I was in Dubai 2 weeks ago and although I did not get to jump, a Scuba instructor told me that there were some kick-ass instructors from the army there. He made it sound like it's definitely worth a visit!

A couple of years back (maybe more) I was working on a project in Dubai... I phoned the dz, checked the website and was left convinced it was a great place where I would have no trouble getting a few jumps there on my day off. On that basis I took my rig from the UK, phoned again from Dubai to make sure I would be able to do a few jumps, took an expensive cab to the dz, arrived pretty early in the day, bought a loads of jump tickets and continually got bumped off loads to make sure they could 'finish all the tandems before it got dark'. In the end I gave up (each load was TM, Tandem student and camera - no space for even a solo, apparently).

So despite hearing great things, especially from from the people I phoned at the dz, the reality was there was no chance to jump. So I carried my rig half way round the world (or it felt like that), had to pay taxi fares of at least a couple of hundred dollars and never got to jump. I have been back to Dubai several times and would never trust them again to be honest about my chances to jump there.

You might want to search these forums - I remember a post by someone who lived in UAE and said he had never jumped so little.

My feeling is that if boogies are arranged it is probably ok, maybe if you arrange in advance to do AFF or a tandem you might be ok but as a fun jumper you are totally wasting your time. Based on my experience, which is a which ago and things may have changed. The problem is, the people I spoke to before going totally misrepresented the operation so I would really struggle to believe anything I was told by them.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

I would go to Umm Al Quwain Aeroclub.
Been there 3 years ago and they were really nice. Try to get in contact with them before you go (can take a little while). This place is not too far away from Dubai and you can rent a cheap car to get there. They have an Airvan (very slow but it has big windows and great view).
There are a few British ex-army blokes running the operation and we had good fun with them.

hope it helps,
blues,
Marcus

Hello everyone, I'm after some info WRT the DZ in Dubai, aircraft, opening times, staff, people etc. Any info at all will be great! Lee

Did you get to jump there?

Has it improved since when I was there a few years back (in terms of being able to get on loads)?

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

Hey,
I was their two months ago with two other friends. They have quite a crew out their. All good people and had plenty of rental gear for the three of us. I forget what they called the plane but it was something van... Not a Cessna though. They fly to 10k and that sucker took all thirty some minutes to get to altitude! I think they need four fun jumpers to get a load up. We jumped with one of the TM their, got two jumps in one day. Hope that helps. I believe it is called Emirates Drop Zone or UAQ Aero Club. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2087888&id=514158259&ref=nf#/group.php?gid=40389943592&ref=ts
http://www.horizonuae.ae/uaqaeroclub/

HI,

I am going to be in Dubai soon and would love to get a few jumps in. I haven't had any luck contacting the club for the last 7 days by email or phone - does anyone know the best way to contact them prior to my arrival. I have read some of the reviews saying how it is difficult to arrange solo jumps and get on loads - is this really true. Does anyone know if they will be open during Ramadan?
Any help gratefully received