CSpenceFLY

RW Bigway Skills Camp:Americus,Ga.:May 1st-3rd

I have permission to post this in addition to the boogie thread with the understanding that the chatter stays in the other thread. Please keep the boogie talk in the other thread.

This will be the first of a series of camps that we hope to hold in Georgia this season with the goal of growing larger skydives and an ultimate goal of breaking the long standing Georgia RW Record that I believe is a 63 way.

The rough plan I have in my mind is to make a few jumps on Friday afternoon,remember we will have the PAC so it will be a bit easier to get in the air then an Otter. We will have a briefing/ Q & A session Fri. evening. Followed by a day of jumping on Sat. and another Q & A session on Sat. evening. I want this to be fun and informal.

You will have the opportunity to jump with and talk to some really good skydivers, including a few members of the last World Team.

At this time the plan is for only the PAC so we will be doing up to 15ways. If we get enough people on the list we will see about a second aircraft. There is no promise there.

We are also looking for video people who would like to help out. At $20 jumps I'm sure some of the jumpers would not mind helping out with a slot for a quality video.

Put your name on the list. Ask questions here and I'll try to get some input here from some of the pros so you know what to expect and what you should bring. A few things I can think of are a note book to write down any questions you might have during the day,a weight belt, any and all jumpsuits you might have, some baggy stuff for the big boys like me, an empty slate to learn on and a team building attitude.

If we can get the ball rolling on this I have already talked to Hans about a second plane at The Farm sometime this season and I would love to do a fall boogie and bring in the aircraft to break that record.

The record is a 64 way at Monroe in May 1997. Damn has it really been that long? :S

There are a few friends long gone from that jump. [:/]

http://www.deafskydivers.org/Gallery/RecJumps/GA64w97.htm

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Wow, this could be a lot of fun and a great skill builder. We had two groups alternating 8-12 ways at Fitz which polished up quite a few of our RW skillz.

Great idea Spence! I'm hoping I can make it, but either way I'm certainly interested in future camps as well.
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

I know that I will be there, because we need a logged state record with U.S.P.A. to make it official. The boys and girls did it in Monroe, but it wasnt official. Lets make it official. Get off your butts, and lets do this !!!

I remember it wasn't really official because the loop near 12 o'clock in the picture broke a grip a split second after the last jumper docked. We just decided to call it a weekend after that jump.

I need to get the old Georgia State Record VHS tape converted to DVD. Chuck Smith did a great job editing it. Wonder where he is these days?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have not seen Chuck in a few years.

My last time was at Monroe not long before it closed. You were there cooking dinner. I think that is when I first introduced myself to you in person.

So do I understand that the Monroe big way did not make? If so does anyone know what the largest formation completed in Ga is?

It actually completed, but only held for a split second. I was told at the time it did not have to follow FAI rules (3 second rule) to be a state record. I guess things have changed since. The picture I have shows a complete formation.

I have no idea what the largest official formation is pre-monroe. Some of the older-timers would have to jar their memories for it, but it's probably nowhere close to a 64 way.

I say just shoot for a 70 way to be absolutely sure.

The next smaller one I know about was about a 40 way that was done in Covington at what was Peach State Skydiving Center.

Three Otters will get us something in the mid 60s. That would make me happy sometime this fall.

Have you picked a place to do that at? If I'm not busy that weekend, I might come out and help with something. Don't ask me to join the record attempts as my skills are way rusty and I won't be jumping much this year.

I have around 40 people on my list currently, 26 other people shouldnt be that hard to find:P

As far as the Monroe record. If they have a picture no matter how "short" they held it - than THATS the number to beat IMO

Be easiest to do this with one of Chris boogies but big ways slow down a boogie. But with the proper planning a 65 way s/b doable pretty fast.

Big ways are a great way to get the planes going Sat morning of a boogie. 8:00 take off. So Sat morning, sunset Sat and Sunday morning. Wouldn't bother the flow of boggie either.

Better idea bring the planes in Thursday night do the record on Friday and party the rest of the weekend

Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

I'll be there Saturday to participate. Some of us low time jumpers are probably going to have to jump our nuts off this season to make the group.

I'll always did like a challenge :)

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

It's not so much about jumping your nuts off as much as working on your skills when you are jumping. Many have the misconception that you need a big plane and a bunch of people to work on your bigway skills. There are some things you will learn in a group but the basic flying skills can be learned in a 4 way.

I learned to fly relative doing 2 ways shooting tandem videos. You can work on exit,approach,docking,flying your body in a formation,breakoff,tracking,and safe canopy skills all in a small group.