Airhead

Taking AFP to Different DZ TOMORROW! HELP!

FINALLY gonna make the move to different DZ to finish up my AFP...
I am VERY ANXIOUS about the move...I do feel good about the JM - he was the JM that worked with me at the other DZ for my AFP levels 1-3. BUT I am nervous about the DZ, equipment, landing area, aircraft, etc. - BUT I think I will be jumping from a 182 and I AM FAMILIAR with those. :S *WHEW*
I'm hoping for a break in this overcast Michigan weather so that I CAN JUMP and make at least the next level #6...and move closer to getting my A-License. I NEED TO JUMP THIS WEEKEND! This JM & this DZ are more than willing to work with me...And it's been almost 4 weeks since I was last able to jump[unsure]!
It's all the "unknown"s that are rattling my cage! Is this common? What should I be doing, thinking & checking out when I get to this new-to-me DZ? :)

Hi, Lila...

Of course it's normal. You're changing everything you're used to, except the plane. Lots of what you feel is because you haven't jumped in a while, I'm guessing, and yes, you're normal. This shit can really play with you.

Here's what you do. Try to get a good night's sleep. Make sure you get soemthing into your belly before you go to the DZ. Go a little early, drive around the actual dz and see what sort of problems could be there for an off area landing (any high tension lines? And roads - where, what, how heavily traveled, etc.) Talk to your JM and get really comfy with the aerial photograph so you can see it from the air.
And then, smile. Even if you don't want to smile, smile anyway. Breathe from your belly, and smile some more. Every time you feel that twinge in the bottom of your belly, smile some more. Then get out and jump, and smile, breathe, smile.
And then smile again.

Dunno why smiling actually works, but it does in fact work. And then come home and tell us how wonderfully it went. I'll be looking for lots of smiley icons in it, too....

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Good tips, 'Chele!
Yeah, I'll try to remember to relax and smile...THESE last 2 levels #6#7 DO sound like LOTS OF FUN- So hopefully smiling won't be (?) an issue for me:)So, jumping is more difficult when it's been a while since you've jumped??? So what's the way to keep it all familiar and fun when you gotta deal with:S months of inclement weather over the winter?
Thanx! I will tell ya how it all went... Later! - Lila.

Good luck this weekend, Lila. I think Michele covered the bases---get to know the area, review the aerial photo until you feel comfortable, ask all the questions you want, smile, and remember to have fun! Levels 6 & 7 I think are pretty exciting---you're making a great transition in your skydiving. I've also been trying to finish up my AFF, but the weather hasn't been student friendly lately when I've been able to go to the DZ (10 AFF levels for me, I'm stuck at 7). As for the cold weather dilemma, I'm having the same problem. Most of the East Coast dropzones shut down in a week or so....I'm thinking of making a trip down to DeLand for Skydive University's Basic Body Flight course (and maybe to finish AFF). Otherwise, looks like I'm sitting out the winter months, which bugs me because I also want to try to stay current....any alternatives to heading south that people know of????

I've been talking to people on the website here & at the 1st DZ I trained at (gotta check out if this new DZ'll be willing to do this TOO) about JUMPING THRU THE COLD WINTER MONTHS HERE IN THE NORTH. Amazingly some DZs stay open to the possiblitiy to make jumps runs during those freaky-warm days that'll occur IF they have enough people come on down to the DZ to do so. Guess Ya gotta call around and find those hardy DZ souls that do plan on doing that!
Even if I finish AFP before snow falls, I'm seriously looking at jumping the remaining jumps thru the winter to keep current and get my A-License.
Sunshine & (Cool!);) Blues to Ya - Lila.

hey, does marshall stay open during the winter months? If so, I am gonna have to come out there and face the cold. Good luck on the rest of your training!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

Just called down today and talked about that (too) with the DZO, Lynn, a skydiver chick isn't that cool!?!:)Lynn said that they are gonna be open until Thanksgiving. IF there are good days to jump this Winter - and you know Mich. does get those freaky-warm winter days occassionally...Ya gotta call the DZO, and see if there's enough folks all-together to be able to get a plane for jumps.
Skyrose, you should call Marshall and talk to Lynn about the possibility of winter jumps now. During the winter the DZ basically shuts down & the DZO has to be reached at a different phone number.