upndownshop

SkyFest 09 June 15th – 22nd Raeford N. Carolina, Celebrating our 9th year of donating skydives!

I find it amazing that the people complaining are the ones that didn't go. The people that did actually go seemed all had a good time (with the exception of the long wait times to get on a load and THAT was a DZ issue)

Clearly there were some issues between the DZ and the event organizer.

I went, I had a good time. So did everyone else I talked to that actually were there.

There were LO`s putting together jumps.
There was a Helicopter.
There were Balloon Jumps.

All the other things Skyfest is known for was also there. Bill Booth with his films and talks were great. Over 20 Manufacturers were there, The SCR dives, The Gear Auction, The Skydiving Scholarships. THESE are what Skyfest has always been about and the reason that people travel from all over to attend.

This was my first visit to Raeford and I enjoyed meeting much of the Staff and regulars there. I am not taking sides in this other than to point out again, The people that went had a good time.

This is starting to look like a classic example of "Lets circle the wagons and beat up on the outsider".

In most cases there are three sides to every story, both sides and the truth. In this case there are many more. You have the DZ side,Skyfest side, the locals side, the visitors side,the ones that didn't attend side, the outside aircraft owners side and...well some of you will get my point.

I'm not going to beat up on anyone here. In some ways the event was a success, in others it was not. I think there were things that were not worked out ahead of time and it came back to bite everyone involved.Notice I said everyone involved. IMO the two people that have posted beating up on J have no valid opinion and should have no voice here.You made the decision not to be involved and it worked out for you.

I've been to two Skyfests and had a good time at both. J is my friend and if he asks my opinion I'll ask a few questions and I'll give it to him.

Tony Thacker is my friend. If he asks my opinion I'll give it to him. I hope to be working with Gene Paul on a fund raising project for the National Skydiving Museum.

Whether or not everything should be addressed in a public forum I'm not sure. I think a summary of what changes will be made to make things better in the future might be in order. From what I understand though Skyfest will not be in Raeford next year(assumed from both sides) and Raeford never has boogies so the problem is solved for the unhappy locals. In the future maybe you should think about coming out and asking Tony what you can do to help.

RoamingDZ.com,Proud sponsor of
The Rack(v.2.0)National Hanging Out Tour.
You are coming to the St.Patricks Boogie right??

Give me a break dude. This event is a lawn mower. Every DZ that has Skyfest at it gets mowed down. It's blatent at this point dude. Look at the track reccord. Get real.

2007....Find DZ. Have the boogie. Screw people. Move on. 2008....Find DZ. Have the boogie. Screw people. Move on. 2009 ...Find DZ. Have the boogie. Screw people. Move on. Plan it out and have the boogie. See what happens.

If you would like to start a thread where people can post about how they have been screwed then do so. I bet no one will post with their real names or recognized accounts. It will be a bunch of I heard this and so and so said that.

That being said, I have heard little bits and pieces from both sides over the years and the funny thing is neither side has ever stated a specific case of being screwed. It has always looked to me like a case of lack of a proper agreement so both sides felt like things didn't go right.

Can anyone see why I hold my events off of DZs? Funny thing is I have been accused of screwing the DZOs cause I'm taking business away from them.:DI'm just a bastard that way.

From what I understand though Skyfest will not be in Raeford next year(assumed from both sides) and Raeford never has boogies so the problem is solved for the unhappy locals.

Quick interjection: Raeford does have a boogie, started two years ago. The Military Appreciation Day Boogie and Film Festival. Just to clarify. :)
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I had a great time at SKyfest and look forward to seeing you all again soon!! Thanks for a great time and really fun auction / party sat. night!;)

It must have been one heck of a party. I have pictures of an RV parked by the pea pit sunday morning...

:D:D:D:D
Scars remind us that the past is real

When I found out that these organizers cancelled because their expenses were not covered and they were expected to pay the event registration and for their jumps.........That just flat out pissed me off. Especially when the registration fee was still charged.

OMG!!! How horrible. Experienced jumpers helping younger ones for free. :o

How dare they pay it skyward...

People forget this is not just boogie. It's a fundraiser as well to help educate future jumpers. If there was $$$ left over, if probably went to that effort.

I was lucky enought to be close enough to go to both "Fests" this year as were quite a few others. I had a good time at both. Both had their issues, both had their good points, both had their unique twists.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I had a great time at SKyfest and look forward to seeing you all again soon!! Thanks for a great time and really fun auction / party sat. night!;)

It must have been one heck of a party. I have pictures of an RV parked by the pea pit sunday morning...

Some people also learned some russian law that morning... :P

Jesus Christ on rubber crutches...

The event isn't even over yet, and the negativity starts?!
And from People that admit they did not go?!

I've been to the past 4 skyfests, none of them negative. sure there are bumps, but you try organizing 250-400 people making 3000+ jumps in a week without problems. see how far you get.

Each year there are more and more of theese douche nozzles that whine and complain about no HD records, or the lack of really big ways. But that's not what makes skyfest. That isn't what its about.

Skyfest is the only low jump friendly boogie i know of.

where are the newbies supposed to go?

and Vertifly, since you're obviously the expert on how skyfest is each year, exactly how many have you been to?

Each year there are more and more of theese douche nozzles that whine and complain about no HD records, or the lack of really big ways. But that's not what makes skyfest. That isn't what its about.

The fact is that it was Advertised that Dave Brown and Paraclete Instructors would be organizing. And it was advertised that the State HD Record and HD Sequentials would be hosted. The names and activities were used to draw Freefliers to this event.

I think Dave Brown with his 11,000 jumps should have his expenses covered. I don't think any organizer should have to pay the registration or for their jumps. That's in essence asking them to pay to be able to organize and promote skyfest. That's BS

And yes I have been to two previous SkyFest Events, both took care of the Load Organizers........why did it change this year?

I'm done.........I've made my comments, and know not everyone agree's.

This goes out to any "Event Organizer".

Do what you say your gonna do and honor the commitments you make, with everyone.......DZO, DZ Staff, Organizers, Aircraft Operators, and Skydivers.

Everyone who complained on here about Skyfest and did not go are people I have seen and jumped with at previous Skyfests. There are those out there who have been to EVERY Skyfest since it first started and for reasons of their own would not go to this one or to any Skyfest ever again.

Most people I see attacking them (for not knowing what they're talking about) look newer to the sport and have claimed it to be their first 'big' boogie.

There was a state HD record at the Skyfest last year. I was on it. It was organized by an LO who was hired to organize the event. Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FFCUMTsOCo&feature=channel_page

Just some unbiased observations. Not trying to bash on anyone's boogie. I'm glad some people who went had fun. I understand why some people would not go. Just pointing out that people who made that decision are educated and experienced people who did so with more reason than just to try and shit in your cereal.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Some people also learned some russian law that morning... :P

in true russian accent....

"In Russia, you fuck with a mans trailer, you get 10 years in concentration camp"

funny shit
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

Most people I see attacking them (for not knowing what they're talking about) look newer to the sport and have claimed it to be their first 'big' boogie.

And 2 of the supporters of that opinion were recently LO's at another nearby event...

you bitches that simply did not attend are pussies.
Did we have issues? yes! welcome to life!
They worked with them to the best.
J pulled it off as a successful event, Tony did a fine job as well.
We had planes, we had weather, we had organizers not bitching about not getting paid, we had some nice presentations, SCR's, Muff Brother jumps, inflatables, balloons, BEER!!!, good food, good smoothies, good friends, GOOD TIMES!!! oh... a tree landing or two as well...some cutaway main chasing...we jumped.
you bitches didn't find it in yourselves to show up and yet you have the gall to complain.
It WAS a good boogie!
If you weren't there FUCK YOU! Who cares what you thought of an event you weren't even AT????
:S

I had fun. Nice helping out. Nice meeting new friends. Excellent to see some old friends I haven't seen in too long.
thanks to everyone that put this together and those that attended.
Except you Spence. Bitch. Sprayed beer in my eyes.
It hurt.
cold too

:PB|:D:D:D

Skyfest was just great!

Special thanks to all the vendors who brought it out for us...and I mean brought it out! All you guys kick ass!

Special congrats to the 18 SCR/SCS jumpers earning the award! WooHoo!

Everything the Skyfest had control of went off really, really well:
Manufacturer representation
Food vendors
Auction
Entertainment
Beer
Organized jumps of all types (RW, FF, Wingsuits, Canopy Control)
Toys (I missed seeing the banana jump, dammit)
Focus on the young jumper (Pay it Skyward, remember that motto?)
Scholarship awards
Private packing space
...and more.

Things that Skyfest had no control over:
Weather (rain and wind holds and delays)
No-show LOs
Aircraft manifesting and loading
CASA mechanical problems
Replacement plane no-show
Not enough qualified ladies for the Pink Patch and State Record jumps
Club initiations were good to go (Thanks RB, Muffs, etc)

The non-attendees whining just says more about them than the Skyfest Boogie. Had you guys actually been there, you would have had a good time, I'm sure. But as it stands right now, I'm kinda glad the attitude stayed at home so the rest of us could have the good time unhindered.

My guess is that there is some confusion on thinking that there is a pile of money being made by the Skyfest event. I know the numbers and I assure you, that's not the case although the Scholarship fund did just make it's goal this year.

Funny thing...of all the young jumpers I met and spoke to, not a one had any complaints about anything Skyfest set up for them...not a one.

Very much looking forward to next year...wherever it may be. Personally, I like the idea of a traveling show...we get to see more DZs and meet more people that way.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Simon,

I believe we are talking about good business practice. People seem to be confusing it with whether new skydivers and fun-jumpers are having a good time at Skyfest.

Put a few planes and skydivers together and we're going to have a good time. One of the best things about being a skydiver is that we are ALL fun kinda people in our own way.

The idea being surfaced is about the event organizing. It continues to be followed by poor business practices. It affects a lot of skydivers in a bad way. I think that a lot of us would simply rather support the people who care about the sport (as a whole) rather than the future of a boogie that travels around.

-Dave

my 2 cents...

I went down on Wednesday b/c on the SkyFest website, it had been advertised that on Wednesday night, there would be the Golden Knights demo and a seminar from some of the old timers (Bill Booth, Ted Strong, etc) about their experiances, history, etc in skydiving. I thought that would be a very cool thing to hear.

When I got there I said hello to one of the organizers and said why I was there and that I had read about it on the website. I was told "you can't trust much of what is on that website"

The Golden Knights demo did happen...it was cool. No seminar..no annoucement about why there was not seminar...nothing. I was disappointed.

The main thing that I've seen and have been hearing is that this event advertised all sorts of stuff. As a result, people based their decision (partly) on whether or not to attend based on what was advertised. Many of the things advertised did not happen.

If you planned to go to a concert b/c of who was playing...and many of the bands didn't play...wouldn't you be at least a little pissed? You may have still had fun hearing the other bands, but you didn't get what you what was advertised and sold.

I think we are talking about an event that focuses on new skydivers and fun-jumpers where the idea is to give back to the sport. Skyfest is the only Boogie that I know of that has PRIMARY focus on those new/low time jumpers.

Not about superstar freefly organizers and record headdown jumps. In fact it is my opinion that those things actually take away from Skyfest and what the event is supposed to be about.

But please feel free to start your own event and show everyone how it should be done. How much will your registration fee be after you pay for the advertising, Website, Porta-poties, Showers, ferry Fees and then you fly in all your superstar organizers, Put then up in nice hotel and whatever else needs to be paid for?

Oh.. And don't forget a scholarship fund that pays for Jumpers just getting started. Add a few more dollars to registration for that too.

my 2 cents...

I went down on Wednesday b/c on the SkyFest website, it had been advertised that on Wednesday night, there would be the Golden Knights demo and a seminar from some of the old timers (Bill Booth, Ted Strong, etc) about their experiances, history, etc in skydiving. I thought that would be a very cool thing to hear.

When I got there I said hello to one of the organizers and said why I was there and that I had read about it on the website. I was told "you can't trust much of what is on that website"

The Golden Knights demo did happen...it was cool. No seminar..no annoucement about why there was not seminar...nothing. I was disappointed.

The main thing that I've seen and have been hearing is that this event advertised all sorts of stuff. As a result, people based their decision (partly) on whether or not to attend based on what was advertised. Many of the things advertised did not happen.

If you planned to go to a concert b/c of who was playing...and many of the bands didn't play...wouldn't you be at least a little pissed? You may have still had fun hearing the other bands, but you didn't get what you what was advertised and sold.

Excellent post. Someone who has something to say. Better then the verbal diarrhea that other have posted.

I think J will read this and hope he will put some thought into what he trys to promise in the future. I his defense, I have had events fall apart at the last minute before. I had a birthday boogie planned once and the chopper and the band canceled on me a day before the event. All I could do was do my best to fix it, which didn't happen. Some people were upset but for the most part it was ok cause everyone came for other reasons.

IMO, I would (and have) forgotten about the big names. The young jumpers get what they need from the local talent and those willing to jump with them for free. I supply slots for organizers, I don't know what agreement Skyfest had with the DZ.edit: To clarify,when I lease a plane by the slot,I make sure the aircraft owner is giving me X amount of organizer slots per full load. When I am leasing by the hour it's all on me.

I'm not going to defend J on these things,I think he has some things to address. However, I am with Jello-J when he says to those trying to tear the event down, Go build your own event,get the big names and the cool aircraft. Build the perfect event where nothing goes wrong and then come talk to me.

We had planes, we had weather, we had organizers not bitching about not getting paid, we had some nice presentations, SCR's, Muff Brother jumps, inflatables, balloons, BEER!!!, good food, good smoothies, good friends, GOOD TIMES!!! oh... a tree landing or two as well...some cutaway main chasing...we jumped.
you bitches didn't find it in yourselves to show up and yet you have the gall to complain.
It WAS a good boogie!

Bolas.... again???? :P:P:P:P
Always be kinder than you feel.