CSpenceFLY

How much money would you commit to a C-130 Boogie

This is something that I have had in my mind for a while. It was in the planning stages for Dublin '08 before the accident and Jet-A went to $6. a gal.

There are few details. It might be a stand alone event or there might be another plane available with priority being flying the C-130 as much as possible.I would plan to have organizers and hope to have some big way action going on.The event would either be somewhere on the Gulf coast or here in Georgia.

So here is the question.

If lift tickets were in the neighborhood of $45,with registration being about the same, how many jumps would you commit to in order to make an event like this happen?

I'd love to jump a C-130 and add it to my list, but at $45 a pop, 2 jumps may be all I do.

But hey, you can get a GA state record with just that plane. ;)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It looks like we know some of the same people;) I would love to log one (ducks comments about logbooks from the gallery) but I couldn't commit to multiple jumps. Would it be possible to go to the 130 and make an event of it there kinda like we did with the B17 in Destin?

You are only as strong as the prey you devour

But hey, you can get a GA state record with just that plane. ;)

If you fill it with Georgians you might even have a full set of teeth

Ouch. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Are we talking extra alt here or just the big ol plane? I'd commit @ $200 in jumps & registration for reg alt, probably $250-$300 for higher alt. But that's just me....
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

If you're truly interested in trying to fly a C-130 for skydivers, I can put you in touch with the organizing committee for the Swedish Hercules Boogie. Nobody knows how to do it better or has more experience doing it. When the convention was offering C-130 jumps for $75, the very same week, we were doing them for $17 with free organizers and video.

They do have military support which makes it easier, but the logistics concerning the jump operation remain the same.

Be warned though, that when I was the general manager of Z Hills, I tried to do this. I found that it was essentially a non-starter. Getting a C-130 isn't that hard, as there are quite a few available for rental. However, as these are not usually used for skydiving, you'll have to go to the expense of fitting then with seat belts and making them generally safe for jump operations if they don't have military seats installed. You will need competant jump masters for it. Your local guys will not do no matter how good they are using the usual planes. You'll need ground staff experienced in C-130 operations to monitor jumpers. You'll need ground transport for at least 80 people per load to pick them up, and a correct staging area to load them into the plane.

All of that was fairly easy to arrange, if time consuming, but what really put the brakes on was having to arrange insurances for the event, which would have run to nearly $2 million of coverage. Add to the fact that at around $3000-$4000 per hour ferry fee from wherever it has to come from, you're already deep in the hole before it even touches down. This is why, on the rare occasion that you do see a C-130 for jumpers in the US, it's invariably rolled into a larger event such a the convention, where it can be flown as a specialty aircraft, and it's costs spread around the other fleet.

In my opinion though, it's at it's best when you're paying normal prices for a jump out of them. You can cycle 80 jumpers every 11-14 minutes from them and there's no better plane for big relative work. Your organizers have to know their stuff though, or they will give information to their loads that will end up with them injuring jumpers. Normal exit positions don't work the same and can lead to serious injuries and dislocations in the slipstream.

If I could get a C-130 at the right price, I would fly the Swedish committee over to run the plane for me. It would be a very small cost when set against the ferry fees of the aircraft, and you'd be secure in the knowledge that it was all being done right and like clockwork.

I have about 500 jumps as an organizer out of the C-130, and those guys have put me on the money on every one of them.

Got a C-130 not far from here that has flown jumpers. Last time i looked into it, it wasnt pretty.. Lots of work. Why dont you do the Carabu? will give ya the contact if ya want? Od that DC4 PhatAnnie is 30 minutes from me, could send that oily front loader to ya!!

Let me know if ya need a hand?

Oh give me a call, got a good one for ya sometime/
J

If this shit was easy everyone would be making the big bucks.:D:D:D

Yeah,right.:|

No you have that correct, everyone else is making the big bucks while we do all the work!!! Seems pretty easy to me eh?

Hey Chris can you get me a tent at this c130 boogie, hire me a packer and Ill kick back and sell packing tickets for a buck more than packing???? Oh while your at it, can I get my registration back, but where is my dinner ticket and beer?
Dooh! Ok back to work, be well

It looks like we know some of the same people I would love to log one (ducks comments about logbooks from the gallery) but I couldn't commit to multiple jumps. Would it be possible to go to the 130 and make an event of it there kinda like we did with the B17 in Destin?

I think I asked you about this a few months ago!!! I would LOVE to jump a 130... as for how many??? Let me go ask my Dad and Grandfather how many jumps they had. I need to one up on that many! ;) If you let us know ahead of time for sure I can mail you money ahead of time if you need it! :)

Muff Brother # 3883, SCR # 14796 ICD # 1 - Pres.
Yeah, I noticed and I think it's funny!

Would be up for it. The altitude question was a good one though. Any idea about altitude? I'm game regardless.

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."