deibido

Black and Gold Week

The Black and Gold meet happens over Veterans Day weekend every November at the Golden Knights' training facility at Laurinburg-Maxton Airport in North Carolina. Four days of jumps for active duty military (you cannot be on leave). Coaching and competition. Details are psted on the GK website in advance of the event:

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/goldenknights/Webpage2005_content.html
Arrive Safely

John

I only have one complaint. Tell me why, when the rest of the U.S. Army loudly proclaims the ONE ARMY concept, and the GK's #1 mission is recruiting, why it's for Active Duty only? When Army Reserve and ARNG soldiers are fighting the same fight, why does the GK exclude them only based on duty status? I have jumped many times on Army Aircraft without being on active duty. Does our blood bleed another color? I don't think it's right; I challenge the GK to show me in Army Regulation where USAR/ARNG soldiers not on active duty are not eligable. It should be open to all regardless of component. You do a disservice to your brothers-in-arms when you exclude them. Oh, yeah, and by the way, isn't Cheryl Sterns a USAR soldier?
Keith Abner
D-17590

"Those who do, can't explain; those who don't, can't understand"

Actually...National Guard and Reserve are welcome to attend the Black & Gold Competition...

Must be Active duty, National Guard or Reserves for November 8-11,2008. Orders must be in hand and NOT WEEKEND DUTY.

You can find more info at their website:

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/goldenknights/Webpage2005_content.html

You should definitely look into it next year...it is an amazing event!

I only have one complaint. Tell me why, when the rest of the U.S. Army loudly proclaims the ONE ARMY concept, and the GK's #1 mission is recruiting, why it's for Active Duty only? When Army Reserve and ARNG soldiers are fighting the same fight, why does the GK exclude them only based on duty status? I have jumped many times on Army Aircraft without being on active duty. Does our blood bleed another color? I don't think it's right; I challenge the GK to show me in Army Regulation where USAR/ARNG soldiers not on active duty are not eligable. It should be open to all regardless of component. You do a disservice to your brothers-in-arms when you exclude them. Oh, yeah, and by the way, isn't Cheryl Sterns a USAR soldier?

I wouldn't consider the National Guard and active duty army the same by any means....but I still think you guys should be able to jump with the GK.

I only have one complaint. Tell me
I wouldn't consider the National Guard and active duty army the same by any means....but I still think you guys should be able to jump with the GK.

Would advise you not to say that in the presence of or USAR or ARNG soldiers who have deployed and fought same fight in Iraq/Afganistan.

But yes, they should be able to jump.
Keith Abner
D-17590

"Those who do, can't explain; those who don't, can't understand"

any idea on someone to contact if you want to go? I dunno about the rest of you active duty folks but i need to request leave/PTDY way in advance. Also I assume its PTDY you would be on right? Any advice appreciated.
rock on,
rich
word to your mother,
RJ$$
BASE 1117

Slotperfect… All,

Looks like B&G will only be two days this year, 14-15 November vs. four days like previous years. Ike posted B&G dates on Knights Facebook page. I was surprised to see only two days for event especially since Veterans day is the Wednesday before. May not be worth the hassle of coming in from out-of-state if only two days giving that Sunday will be “tear down” day (less jumping).

OP: Per the rules, you must be on orders or PTDY. Although event details/requirements aren’t posted yet, check the Knights web site in the next few weeks as I’m sure the B&G link will be up.

It’s a worthwhile event and a way to get a LOT of free jumps and hook up with other military jumpers. If I’m not deployed, I’m there every year.
Don't be sexist… Broads hate that.

I had a great time last weekend. This was my first time attending. I'm already counting the days till next year's event.
Is anyone posting photos from the weekend? There are 4 on the GKs Facebook page. :(
It was reaaly great being around so many jumpers that are also military.

I have to drive nearly 2 hours to either DZ near me (Baltimore).

I did the math and driving 6 hours to Bragg and jumping free for 2 days was cheaper than driving to my normal DZ for a day's jumping. I feel guilty leaving my wife at home with our 11-month-old daughter for more than a day.

We made the B&G a family trip and she visited friends in town while I jumped. The good news is that she was talking about returning next year before we even left. It's a good feeling not have to convince her of the idea. :ph34r: