Airhead

Talk About DZ & Training Has Gotten Me Big Trouble!

Unfortunately, Talk about certain DZs and my experiences and some problems.....has gotten me a lot of angry >:(reactions from my first DZ. This was NEVER my intent!

They claim that I have bashed their DZ. They're even advising posters/viewers of their DZs website to search out my postings here to prove this is really so!

Advice from what I've learned from my experience in The School of Hard Knocks: Don't Mention Name(s) Of DZ(s) or Individuals If You Have ANYTHING To Say (That Could Be Even Remotely Considered) Unflattering. Obviously skydiving can be extremely political and sensitive!

It looks like I've been ostracized. :S:PB| There are even hints/threats to "black-list" me! I am feeling extremely sad[:/] that things have gotten to this point. And frankly, being at a stall at AFP Level 5 and waiting for Level 6...I am confused about where to go with my skydiving training.

I am very isolated from other skydivers and DZs in my state. I feel that most of the encouragement and support that I have recieved has come from this site and the friendships that I am developing thru here, too.

HELP! PLEASE? I need mucho encouragement!!!

Thank you all very much - Lila.

Ya know it really is pathetic that ya gotta be so ?idiotically?cautious and careful about anything ya say, question or share because there are those out there so willing, ready and able to really stir things up and cause trouble.

Isn't it the FREEDOM-
to take risks,have fun,explore,adventure,really be ourselves-
that draws us skydiving?

Thanx Chris and Michele for your encouragement. It really DOES mean a lot to me. :)

I completely agree. It's dumb. That being said I try to be very careful about what I say online as at least one other person from my dz logs on here and I really don't want to offend anyone and have it get back to them. (The guy who logs on is great, it's just some of the instructors that leave a little to be desired.) Even if you have legitimate concerns it's best not to put them in writing I think. Too hard to deny it later :$

Sorry to hear you're having such trouble. I'm sure some people understand though, so maybe you can search them out.

Gale

I'm drowning...so come inside
Welcome to my...dirty mind

I went through something similar this weekend. A lot of short tempers, "he said that she said" etc. You have to just ignore it and do what _you_ think is right.

A lot of people feel very proprietary about their DZ's, and see any negative comment at all as an attack. When I talk about something negative at a DZ I'm at, I try to be careful to either tell what I saw or did (which they really can't argue with) or state an opinion and be clear that it _is_ my opinion. On many occasions I've seen what I consider bad stuff going on, and I've just left the DZ or not gone on the jump. Sometimes I see stuff going on that is actively dangerous, and I feel like it's my duty to tell other people. Whenever possible I try to tell just the individuals at risk, but sometimes you have to be more public than that. It's always a judgement call.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties with DZ politics. An old timer once told me, " Never post anything in writing that you do not want to see on the front page of the local paper." Good advice. Makes me think a second time before posting. As mentioned, prefice with "in my opinion" and you will be somewhat safe. Meanwhile, good luck with #6.

Airhead,
Your best plan would be to book a winter vacation at a Florida DZ. Complete your AFF and A license in Florida (or some other warm state: this comment was solely intended to assuage the politically correct).
When Michigan DZs re-open in the spring, be quiet and polite. Show up, pay your money, make your skydives and go home. Some skydivers have incredibly thin skin, and will take offense at anything you say on-line. For example, I just had to apoligize on-line for something I said to skreamer. I never questioned his logic, he just took my comments the wrong way. Most skydivers have short attention spans. With luck they will forget the political hissy fit by spring time.
My advice - after 25 years of skydiving - is to avoid DZ politics. I have seen far more people burnt out and ostracized over politics than over sloppy flying.

... and this is going to help how? Isn't this what got you in trouble in the first place?

Pardon me while I'm an ass - but you need to choose your words wisely when posting to the World Wide Web. Example: In what you just posted, I was lead to believe that your home dropzone was the one telling people, on their website, to come here and look at your posts. What you failed to mention was that it was actually on a message board on your home DZ's website, and it was originally posted by some guy who used to jump there (not staff/owner/etc).
And if you have a problem with someone there, maybe you should bring it up to them first. From the sounds of it, people there had already told you how to rectify the percieved problems you were having, you just didn't pay attention.
And the "black-list" comment did have a :) after it - I don't think they were serious about actually blacklisting you.

Yeah, people are going to get a little touchy when you make comments the whole world can read, and they don't feel they deserve the damaging tone with which you made them.

I am very isolated from other skydivers and DZs in my state.

Uhh.. why? There are other options, go there, see how bad it really is at your home DZ (like someone made the comment "...and maybe going down the road a few miles will help her understand things a bit more)

I feel that most of the encouragement and support that I have recieved has come from this site and the friendships that I am developing thru here, too.HELP! PLEASE? I need mucho encouragement!!!

Uhh... I'm not sure how to respond to this in even a semi-sensitive manner...
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality