billbooth

North Pole Skydive with Bill Booth

April 6, 2009 marks the 100th anniversary of Commander Robert Peary's historic expedition to the North Pole. As many of you know, I have made many jumps at the Pole, including the first tandem in 1991. My last trip there was with my 12 year old daughter Katie in 1999.

This year, I would like to go one last time to help celebrate the Peary Centennial. This will also be the last trip for my Russian partner, Sergei Insarov, who has been every year since our first jump together at the Pole in 1991.

The trip (through Moscow and various and assorted islands frozen in the icecap) has gotten more expensive every year, and the Russians now charge individual jumpers $12,500. (A twin otter trip up from Canada can cost over $25,000.) HOWEVER, I have been told that if I can get around 50 jumpers to join me, the cost will go down to something around $7,500. It will never be this cheap again, so if you have every dreamed about this, the "ultimate skydive", now is the time.

Tandem Instructors: You can go "free" if you can talk some lucky (and rich) passenger into paying for both of you.

For most people, this is a truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Believe me, it is as if you are making a jump on another planet.

To pull this off I need 50 committed jumpers by January 15, 2009. I am not making any money on this trip, I just want to go again. As strange as it may seem, I really miss the place.

Message me here, or at [email protected], if you have at least 100 jumps, and want to go. I'll let everyone know as soon as we have enough jumpers.

The whole trip will take about 10 days (April 1-10). I will put together a full informational package as soon as I know we are going. This is NOT hard, and you will NOT get all that cold. Modern Polar clothing is amazing.

Bill Booth

I was on Bill's trip to the Pole in 1994. It was an incredible experience that was a highlight of my jumping career. I highly highly recommend this trip for anyone interested in going. Jumping over the top of the world is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity.....and hey, it is about a third of the cost of the Everest jump! ;)

That's once you leave Moscow for the pole, and return to Moscow. Clothing is also additional. Sergei tells me he can get a good quality polar outerwear set in Moscow for about $300. In the US, it's closer to $1,200.

It's still a good deal. Someone else is charging $17,500 for a polar jump from Spitsbergen. The route from Moscow is a lot less "luxurious", but has worked well all the times I have gone.

Add everything up, and it's closer to $9,500. But more people might mean a little less. More people also adds up to bigger aircraft. We might even jump a Il-76 jumbo jet at the pole. We will have Mi-8 helicopters on the icecap for evacuation, and possibly a twin engine An-74 for the return trip.

Luckily, there are NO polar bears at the North Pole...at least not yet. They need open water and food (seals or an occasional human) to survive, both of which only exist on the edge of the icecap, which is hundreds of miles away.

We might meet some in Franz Joseph Land on the way out, but the helicopter crews are well armed just in case.

Come on! Give me a break. That was a serious scientific experiment. I was trying to prove that it was absolutely impossible to "freeze your ass off".

I formed the hypothesis when I met a bunch of Russians who live full time in the Siberian Islands. A lot of them were missing an index finger, an ear lobe, or a few toes...but as far as I could tell, they all still had an ass. I just needed photographic evidence.

Don't worry, I burned the frontal picture. People just pointed at it and laughed anyway.

Bill

I'll be 46 on 4/6/08 so I think you should bring me as a birthday present.:)
If you could get the price down to 5K I could almost make it.[:/]

Best of luck on the trip I'll be thinking of you and wishing I was there.

John Fosgate
"In the end, its always best to choose the hard right over the easy wrong." LouDiamond
MB 4310
www.N3Racing.com

Man. I'd almost chew off my right arm on youtube to be able to jump at the North Pole. :(

That can be arranged...AND I will throw in a free re-work to a left handed boc pocket for you....If you take me with you! You have seen plenty of one-armed landings..you can do it!

Add everything up, and it's closer to $9,500.

Does that include the pack job? ;)

How much for a one way ticket? I moght be able to get sponsors for that... :P

What an awesome opportunity. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Im sure it is the economy that is a factor, I received a email from Bill and he didn not even get close to the number of people needed to get the price down as low as he was talking. He may still go but I cant afford the full price so I couldnt join him. :(

Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!