druvaughn

Savannah GA

Just moved to Savannah GA, and need a new DZ.

I'm sure little will replace the multiple turbines that the Ranch can offer, but hoping for good people and good scenery.

Google shows Walterboro about an hour and 15 minutes, and shows St Mary's about 2 hrs.

Any thoughts or Pros/Cons on these two places?

Thanks.

Best,
Dru
-
-
"Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical."

Walterboro is a great little dz. Lots of great people, and we have lots of fun. Will you get 25 jumps a day? No, because it's a small cessna dz with both fun jumpers and tandems. We're ALWAYS looking for more fun jumpers. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any more questions.

Dru,

Not sure if you would be up for it, but myself and a few others from Charleston, SC head up to SD Carolina every weekend, so if you're up for driving here we could certainly car pool the rest of the way. I generally leave out on Friday afternoon/night and head back Sunday after the sunset load.

If I recall correctly, Savannah is about 1.5 hours from Charleston and the drive to SD Carolina is another 2.5. It is quite a bit of travel time, but at least you only have to make part of it. The DZ also has an Otter, so hopefully it can scratch the itch for a higher jump number per day. I usually get in about 8 a day.

As for the other two that you mentioned, I'm not sure about St. Marys, but I've been to Walterboro and had a great time. Like others have mentioned, it is a Cessna DZ, so the normal limitations apply, but the people are great and the airport is huge.

-syn
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain
a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty
nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Yep, SC Carolina is another great option. It's about a 3 1/2 hour drive for me (just outside of Savannah), so I don't get up there as often as I'd like, but I try to go once a month at least. It hasn't happened so much lately. :-/ I'd encourage you to try both dzs!

No big dzs within a short driving distance from Savannah.

Deland 3.5ish hours
SC Carolina 3.5ish hours
Raeford 3.5ish hours
Skydive Atlanta 3.5ish hours
The Farm 4.5ish hours

Walterboro is a good dz to go to when you dont want to commit 7+ hours of driving to and from a dz on the weekends. I'll go up there and do hop-n-pops when i don't want to drive.

So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.