ntrprnr

"Check out my GoPro footage of my first solo!"

Love the idea. It would even go very well with the C license 200 jump requirement.

Perfect, we've only been asking for it for 10 years. :)

...and only 10 more to go!

(call me a cynic, yes. :D:D)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

>And every first jump student get's a video, were going to tell them it's
>a radio so they won't geek the thing....

They'll never figure that one out.

I really doubt the student would be fooled - I really doubt a DZ would be able to hide the fact of video on the first jump (1 - it's a sales point so silly not to communicate it; 2 - much of 1st jump business is word of mouth).

as for stratostar's application - this is a camera that is placed on the student, the instructor operates it, etc etc etc - I don't see it complicating the student's experience any more than the radio

in any case - this is a much different issue than a newbie buying and intentionally using and operating the camera themselves - this type of application of a camera has be debated in a completely different light than our normal discussion. so the normal knee jerk of 'no camera for any reason' is obstructive to a fair review of the concept of an on board camera

PROS - I think it would be MUCH less distracting than having a separate camera flyer out in front of an AFF Cat A; you always get the shot; it doesn't take another slot on the plane

CONS - a separate camera flyer can get out of eyeshot if he's a distraction; the outside video is infinitely better for review or anything constructive to teaching; this is just one more thing for the instructor to turn on and then gather up later

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Love the idea. It would even go very well with the C license 200 jump requirement.

Perfect, we've only been asking for it for 10 years. :)

What are your thoughts on having a 'get signed off' thing for jumping a camera.

DSE could maybe make up a 1/2 hour safety video and sell it to the USPA to be distributed to all the 'union' drop-zones...

One would have to have their camera gear approved if jumping it prior to a D license. Would need to be sag free mount(S). Cut-away chin strap...etc.

It would be a positive way to insure all the pertinent info was being downloaded uniformly.

It would be a minor wake up, that just strapping on a GoPro isn't as easy or harmless in THIS sport as it is in nude bungee jumping or rocket propelled skate boarding.

It might discourage those not committed to doing it in a safe & thoughtful manner from even dickin' around...if they have to lay out a few bills for camera specific headgear.

It would give DSE something to do since I'm sure he's bored and could use the extra $27.50 USPA would be willing to put into it! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

For the record, my thoughts were not to try to fool anyone, but I would not point it out, just like I train FJC's and never talk about having a radio till after they are done with the canopy control part of class and or when they get geared up, the students take in the info and retain it much better.

So when I suit up someone and they ask, "what is this" we are placing on their chest strap, the reply is: it's your radio, they go ok, you'll be talking to us? Yes, but this could fail so you need to use the training you got in canopy control.... they are content and move along.

Students are so over loaded at that point, very few notice the small lens embedded in the pillow next to the radio. I have not done this yet, it's a idea I have, I will test this on tandem students first, without a radio, just a chest pillow, I'm willing to bet 95% (or more) of people will have no clue there is small camera pointed up at them hidden in the pillow.

With SL or AFF FJ's, if you point it out and tell them, 75% or more will be geeking the damn thing and flying around with their head up their ass, the proof of that is all the retards with low jump numbers who run out and strap on one of these and think nothing of it, see the list DSE put together.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

For the record, my thoughts were not to try to fool anyone, but I would not point it out, just like I train FJC's and never talk about having a radio till after they are done with the canopy control part of class and or when they get geared up, the students take in the info and retain it much better.

So when I suit up someone and they ask, "what is this" we are placing on their chest strap, the reply is: it's your radio, they go ok, you'll be talking to us? Yes, but this could fail so you need to use the training you got in canopy control.... they are content and move along.

Students are so over loaded at that point, very few notice the small lens embedded in the pillow next to the radio. I have not done this yet, it's a idea I have, I will test this on tandem students first, without a radio, just a chest pillow, I'm willing to bet 95% (or more) of people will have no clue there is small camera pointed up at them hidden in the pillow.

With SL or AFF FJ's, if you point it out and tell them, 75% or more will be geeking the damn thing and flying around with their head up their ass, the proof of that is all the retards with low jump numbers who run out and strap on one of these and think nothing of it, see the list DSE put together.

I'm confused. But maybe I'm imagining it wrong. As I understand it, you're talking about mounting a camera on the student's chest pointed at them... How is the camera on their chest going to get anything besides sky? Maybe if you stuck it far out & angled it up you might get their chin, but how is that useful or good video? Or am I picturing it wrong?

I'm confused. But maybe I'm imagining it wrong. As I understand it, you're talking about mounting a camera on the student's chest pointed at them... How is the camera on their chest going to get anything besides sky? Maybe if you stuck it far out & angled it up you might get their chin, but how is that useful or good video? Or am I picturing it wrong?

You would get a good view of the area in front of the student. I attached a pic billvon took (and posted) with a chest cam from the 2006 400 way as an idea of what a chest cam shot may be able to see.

I think you would get good shots of the plane exit and canopy opening sequence and any time an instructor was in front of the student.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

That's what I figured you would see. But wouldn't a more effective video be from mounting the camera to the instructor's chest strap? Then you could actually see body position of the student. I dont see how seeing what's in front of the student would help the student from an instructional stand point or how that would be a good video for posterity even...

I guess for a first AFF jump, an instructor chest view would be better, but not much as they are close and on the side the whole time.

Or maybe stratostar is running an IAD or SL program? I can't tell, his DZ.com profile is not helpful...:ph34r:

It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

That's what I figured you would see. But wouldn't a more effective video be from mounting the camera to the instructor's chest strap? Then you could actually see body position of the student. I dont see how seeing what's in front of the student would help the student from an instructional stand point or how that would be a good video for posterity even...

Not for Static-Liners. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You're going to lie to your students?

If my instructor lied to me about anything I'd never jump with him/her again or look for another dropzone to learn at.

What are you going to tell your students the camera is when you strap the radio to them?

Or, if you're not using radio for your students on their fjc and they get in a bad spot and get hurt, they ask "how come you didn't use the radio to help me?" You'll tell them you lied it was a camera not a radio?

Edit: spelling

>Most won't, because the radio is contained there as well.

So most won't notice that other students get with a video showing the skydive from the point of view of the camera? Heck, we can barely keep our students from getting bad advice from upjumpers. Trying to keep them from talking to other students? Not going to happen.

Whatever happened to jumping out of airplanes for the fricking fun of it????? Read my profile and you'll see my favorite thing to do is embellish old stories into legends! If we had all these cameras back in the day, everyone would be able to prove what a fricken lier I am. ;)

I think cameras should be banned from the sport. Now, you’ll have to excuse me, we’re about to do another 30 point 6 way. :)

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Where did I say I would lie? I said I wouldn't bring it up, not pointing it out is not telling a lie. I also never said we don't use radios, did I. Maybe you should try reading first and not try putting words in my statements and calling me lier.

What I said is in regards to radio, is I don't teach it class because the students retain the canopy course better. In a lot of years I have seen a great deal of people who show up thinking they can half ass it because "you'll be talking us down right". I want my students to know WTF to do with out a radio, it works maybe you should try it.

What are you going to tell your students the camera is when you strap the radio to them?

The design I'm thinking about and have tried to explain, is where the camera is hidden in the pillow that the radio is strapped too, and only the lens will be poking out.... I also said I have not made one yet. I think it is easy to build a chest mount pillow camera holder, the pillow are full of foam, we currently use them for the radio and it would keep the thing hidden from view inside the pillow.

As I said I would like to build one and test it on my tandem students first to see how many of them notice it. I think if it's done right not that big of a deal. The biggest concern is geeking the damn thing for a solo student.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I think cameras should be banned from the sport. Now, you’ll have to excuse me, we’re about to do another 30 point 6 way. :)

... from 3 grand.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

... from 3 grand.

Out of a single 182...

Fast plane, flew us up, went and got the other 2 and dropped them to meet us in freefall.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

>I want my students to know WTF to do with out a radio, it works maybe you should try it.

Do you tell them that the AAD is a jump counter and the RSL is just part of the harness?

No, but since you suggested it, it might be a good idea, right?
:D:D
We could get farther out into left field, eh?
Tell them they don't have to do anything...the instructors are going to save their life.

If you are teaching your students to depend on radio, it's a mistake. Pure and simple. Stratostar has it right.

... from 3 grand.

Out of a single 182...

In balloon suits.