ntrprnr

"Check out my GoPro footage of my first solo!"

Yep, the camera flyers don't like to look around because that makes for jerky video, and no one wants to watch jerky video. So the more people we have in the air with cameras, the fewer people there are actually looking around to avoid in-air collisions. Some day soon, there will be entire loads of camera people flying around not paying attention to each other, and then there will be a terrific collision as a consequence of that lack of awareness, with resulting injuries and death.

But it will sure make for some cool video! I can't wait!

have you seen the video of the last incident on Hollister involving the low timer with a cam?

if (or rather - when) this accident happens again you won't be able to see the video - cause they'll start complaining about their privacy, legal issues, family concerns, copyright etc...

Now why do you want to go and spoil the party. The point of wearing a GoPro is to get good crash video. And the point of good crash video is to show it to everyone. And now you're gonna go and make everyone not want to show off their crash videos. Dang you!

I saw a similar thing on youtube over the weekend only it was jumping camera on his "6th solo". Thought the same thing.
I guess some DZ's don't mind, or don't check?
Here's the link - says total jumps "16 so far". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcHICAzzY_s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiIcKXIKnkc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Check out the next one on his video list...

Looks to me like an AFF dive with a freaking costume on. WTF?

No, check out his NEXT video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KcGQNJSp6E&list=UUG_NTCardll7ImWhFhSjBVQ&index=20&feature=plcp

ETA: the NEXT NEXT one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hutihrppXWs&feature=autoplay&list=UUG_NTCardll7ImWhFhSjBVQ&lf=plcp&playnext=1

Now that is 2 mins and 35 seconds I will never get back.
Blue Skies, Soft Docks and Happy Landings!
CWR #23
(It's called CRW, add an e if you like, but I ain't calling it CFS. FU FAI!)

I wish I had video of the Cat A jump that the student put a GoPro on for. The rational for that I had heard was since he had the GoPro on for months on end in Iraq he would be fine since he had proved to be able to perform in high pressure situations.

Its going to come down to the USPA either eliminating the recommendation for the 200 jumps or putting it as a BSR since its pretty clear the recommendation is being ignored every day.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Someone actually posted that on Facebook this morning. I'm waiting to hear back to find out where he jumped, and what idiot instructor would let someone on their FIRST SOLO use a camera.

Are we just getting stupider as a sport, or am I overreacting?

perhaps he'd like to find the "best and fastest" way to become an instructor

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

"Next time your on a load ask the GoPro sitting next to you how many jumps he has. Bet it's under 100 more then half the time. I don't think any dz gives a flying fuck about GoPro's."

I jump at DZs where people will get called on that. This is even worse, though. It's not even an inexperienced, licensed jumper. It's a freaking STUDENT(?!). :o>:(

Its going to come down to the USPA either eliminating the recommendation for the 200 jumps or putting it as a BSR since its pretty clear the recommendation is being ignored every day.

A recommendation could have an effect on a DZ that does not follow it. If an issue happens and the liability train starts rolling they will have to explain why it was ignored. That doesnt help the injured party though. I would be in favor of making that a BSR. I think it would be a hard one to enforce though.

A recommendation could have an effect on a DZ that does not follow it. If an issue happens and the liability train starts rolling they will have to explain why it was ignored. That doesnt help the injured party though. I would be in favor of making that a BSR. I think it would be a hard one to enforce though.

Maybe having to do a short (camera safety) course should be a prerequisite to jumping camera. Like the canopy course is now for people wanting a B license...

I saw a similar thing on youtube over the weekend only it was jumping camera on his "6th solo". Thought the same thing.
Here's the link - says total jumps "16 so far". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcHICAzzY_s

1) Didn't even pretend to spot
2) I counted maybe 5 alti checks
3) flew like a can of pringles
4) delta track =! hands on ass
5) looked at the ground at deployment (contribute to his line twists?)

I'm sure there are more but i stopped paying attention

He never looked where he was turning when doing the 360's.

Well, if he looked where he started, then he did look to where he was turning. :P:D:D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

USPA doesn't have 10 + years of stats on incidents caused by GoPros yet. Don't hold your breath.

1) Didn't even pretend to spot
3) flew like a can of pringles
4) delta track =! hands on ass
5) looked at the ground at deployment (contribute to his line twists?)

I'm sure there are more but i stopped paying attention

So we've gone from saying that being allowed to wear a camera while you're a student is a dumb idea, to just bitching about his general skydiving, huh?

That looked like some sort of qualification jump to me, so answer me this - how are YOUR student jumps going? I'm sure you look like a pro and fly perfectly...

:|

Never suggested that I did (or that I do). I'll be happy to spring for a video of my check dive and post it for your observations.

But I'm not going to waste my lift ticket geeking the camera.

There's nothing wrong with a student geeking the camera from time to time. After all, we're here to have some fun. it's students wearing the camera that is at issue!
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

The alti checks where he brings his arm down in front (below) him might cause a barrel roll.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Just out of curiosity, how many are you expecting him to do?

Well, if one is going by the book: Altitude check every five seconds or after each maneuver, whichever comes first.

Knowing that everything, of course, does not always "go by the book" I would *hope* that I'd observe them after maneuvers. I, too, have made this error.

One day they are gonna have a collision and miss the whole thing because they where staring at their canopy :S

And if their girlfriend is just "c00l" she will upload the crash video on Facebook... Generation "only c00l when on the net!!!!11" >:(:S
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Never suggested that I did (or that I do). I'll be happy to spring for a video of my check dive and post it for your observations.

But I'm not going to waste my lift ticket geeking the camera.

You're missing the point entirely.

The guys skydiving skills have no relevance in this thread. He could fly like a World Team member and it would STILL be a dumb idea to wear a camera at his experience level.

Your post was just bitching about a check dive that was found on his youtube channel; overly bitchy, in my opinion.
At your point in your skydiving career you should be saying 'nice one completing your checkout dive, dude!' and be stoked for a fellow student while leaving the hyper-critical appraisal to others. By all means form your own opinions, but posting as an expert-type analysis from your ivory tower makes you come accross as kinda dumb...

Love the idea. It would even go very well with the C license 200 jump requirement.

I don't, I want you guys to leave it alone and keep it a recommendation only, because I'm going to start using go pros for all my first jump students, mounted into all the old Alti chest mount pillows we got laying around ( we use wrist mounts) the cameras will be inside the pillows and only the small lens will be sticking out and the pillows will be on the chest strap just like we did when we used alti's there back in the day.

No snag's to worry about. And every first jump student get's a video, were going to tell them it's a radio so they won't geek the thing....
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo