ljwobker

Carolina Sky Sports closing down...

With great sadness, I report that I was told today by multiple reliable sources that Monday (labor day, 2008) will be the last day of jump operations at CSS. I hope like all hell that in a couple of days I'll be able to report that this is all some kind of September Fools' Day gag, but that's not the vibe I'm getting... anyway... it's news.

It is the 35th anniversary of the dropzone, Paul and Nancy have been working 7 days a week for 35 years, and they are retiring. They made the announcement themselves to all of us after dinner. Paul said he also sent out an official press release about 5 minutes before he made the announcement at the dz.

From what I have heard on the grapevine, the operation has been bought by NEK, a company well known in the Gov't contracting world. As Spence mentioned, they will keep operating but in a capacity much like the Coolidge facility operated by CPS for military customers and contracts. Of course, this is just word on the street info and as such may not be entirely accurate if at all.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I spoke with Paul today and he wants to make it clear that ONLY his drop zone is closing. He will continue to lease planes to others for the purpose of skydiving.

Ed

Great! Love jumping out of his Casas... The man has earned his retirement. 35 years, wow.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The Last Load today was very Surreal. Not a dry eye on the plane. I've been junping there for 9 years now, and it feels like I've lost my family.

But well see what the next year brings there may be a new DZ on ther horizon. We'll see if things work out that way.

To all of my CSS Family..............I love you all. Well figure something else out and move on.

Paul and Nancy, even though I'm sure they don't read these posts. Thanks for 42 years..........

Harry P

CSS was where I started my skydiving career back in March of this year. I have many fond memories and a ton of new friends because of it. I made my 100th jump there this weekend with those friends and I'll never forget it or the people that made it such a special place. This weekends jumps are indelibly etched in my memory now and that last ride that Harry mentioned was something truly special. Here's to everyone who called CSS their home DZ, I'll see you at the next DZ now that I've been kicked from the proverbial nest.

Josh
Dont get scammed! Avoid Western Union transactions!!

:( We spent the last 3 years at the Thanksgiving Boogie, so it has become our annual family tradition to do the 'relative work' in SC Thanksgiving Day, and entirely more fun RW the following 3 days at CSS. We're really dissappointed that the DZ is closed. It was always a wonderful time and we'll miss everyone we hooked up with on a yearly basis down there.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Every time I've visited CSS from Thanksgiving 2006 to this summer has been a wonderful time. The community is full of great people. I'm really sad to see CSS close down. I sure will miss that awesome hill and that beer line at the end of it that approaches way to fast.

I suppose the gang will slpit between Raeford and Suffolk depending on proximity. You guys are always welcome up here with us :)

108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Thanks Man..........I appreciate all the support you've sent our way, and coming down to the freeflying events. I'd be more than happy to reciprocate and come up to Suffolk. I think we are planning a trip up in a couple weeks.

It was a sad weekend indeed. I have so many memories I can't put them all into words. I've made and lost alot of friends from CSS over the years. I just walked around on Monday filming folks and thinking of special moments I've had with each of them.

Alot of the old timers came out to say goodbye, and my mentors in the sport came out to jump with me. It was an awesome send off.

It wasn't too surprising that the Fayards decided to retire.........but it was still shocking and took us all off guard regardless.

It was a Bitter Sweet and Sad Weekend. But I'll see all my friends soon at Raeford, Suffolk, Chester, and Orange. Now that I'm DZ Homeless.... :(

CSS will always have a place in my heart and my memories. I have a nice titanium rod in my femur and hip from the Easter Boogie 2000. Me and another guy from that same weekend were catalysts for the card system they had implemented. I'll never forget Paul in his Cessna looking for me in that farmer's field and Rob driving the van to find me on that fateful day.

Thank you CSS for all the great jumps and friendships over the years.

"Once you've tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Leonardo daVinci

I'm very sorry to hear about this. I was lucky enough to have visited CSS a few times a couple years ago. I met a bunch of great people, and I really enjoyed that DZ. I'm just sorry I never made it back there before they closed.

[:/]

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

I too started my skydiving career at Carolina Sky Sports this year, and happily made my 100th jump there this weekend. The skydiving family at CSS welcomed me in and I become one of them from the very beginning. It was a tough weekend for me, and everyone else. The last load is something I will never forget.

I can't wait to join my family at another dropzone. Thanks for the memories... we'll make more. :-)