swoopdog

length of AFF

Hey, Im from Australia and about to conduct stage one of the AFF course. I am just wondering how many jumps people performed before completing the last stage. This includes those which you failed and those practice solo jumps.

If your going to live in FEAR, why live at all!!!!!

Well, the idea is to do it in 7 levels, some DZs use 8. In either case, I had to repeat one level (5) due to what my instructor euphamistically called "over rotation during a turn". I actually over rotated about 20 times at 80rpm before he stopped me. That was enjoyable.... My understanding is that at least half of all AFF students generally end up failing one level and having to repeat it. The most extreme case I've heard of (short of complete failure) is someone having to go through 16 jumps before they got it right. If I were you I'd plan on 8 jumps.

Well, I don't have any idea how it works in Australia -- or anywhere except the dz where I did my AFF, actually :)It took me till after I'd finished AFF and done several solos before I could jump and be stable without a few rotations first.. got there eventually; never thought I would while I had the problem though!!

What are the practice solos that you mentioned? They don't sound familiar to me.

I suspect that he "practice solos" he is referring to are similar to the practice solos we do in the PFF program. Once a student has demonstrated basic survival skills (i.e. pulling at a reasonable altitude a few times) he is off instruction. Then he does a no-pressure solo from 10,000 feet and a hop-and-pop from 4,000'.
Phase two of the PFF program involves doing a series of no-contact dives to refine turning and looping skills learned during the first phase.

OK here in Perth, there are 9 stages to AFF if after stage 6 your DZSO thinks your capable enough, you can do solo jumps to consolidate your skills lerned thus far.
I have completed AFF stage 7 but done 9 jumps, this weekend I'm doing another 2 jumps to try and get my tracking and back flips a little better. in about 3 weeks I'll do AFF8, then 2 weeks later AFF9, which is a HOP & POPB|B|B|B|
I am so looking forward to 6 weeks time when I get 6 weeks off work to jump :)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm in training at Pinjarra.
Buyt I hear that York has an easter boogie, I'm deffinately going to be there at easter
When I'm off training status, I want to check out Southern and Express. So you guys keep in contactB|B|B|
Finally some local guys on DZ.com :)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?