B1029384756

Atlanta Skydiving Center - any good?

I still haven't made my first jump due to various problems such as getting my truck in good running condition and various other things. The place I was originally supposed to jump at, that I've been remaining in contact with, seems to be having second thoughts about me. I won't mention their name, in case I've just gotten the wrong impression about them, I don't want to make potentially false statements. For a backup plan, I've called nearly every place in the country listed on USPA's website about jumping, and, so far, the only one that definitely seems willing to take me is Atlanta Skydiving Center.

Does anyone else have any experiences with them? I want to know if this is a reputable DZ. My other options are very limited at this time. Thanks for any information that you can provide.

I still haven't made my first jump due to various problems such as getting my truck in good running condition and various other things. The place I was originally supposed to jump at, that I've been remaining in contact with, seems to be having second thoughts about me. I won't mention their name, in case I've just gotten the wrong impression about them, I don't want to make potentially false statements. For a backup plan, I've called nearly every place in the country listed on USPA's website about jumping, and, so far, the only one that definitely seems willing to take me is Atlanta Skydiving Center.

Does anyone else have any experiences with them? I want to know if this is a reputable DZ. My other options are very limited at this time. Thanks for any information that you can provide.

NO!!!!! FUCK ASC!

It's an okay DZ for fun and up jumpers who don't mind landing on an uneven tiny LZ, but they do screw the students and tandems whenever they can.

You'd be much better off going to The Farm 6 miles away or to Skydive Atlanta in Thomaston.

Oh wait, where are you located? I don't think you mentioned that. I assumed you were in GA. And why would the DZs you contacted not be willing to help you? Do you have any health issues?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

And without missing a beat BV steers you towards the proper dz's (you know the ones who dont lie to and cheat their costomers out of every penny they can).

It's a free service I love to provide. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

In what way do they screw the students? Their prices seemed to be in line with most other places. I'm in Trenton, NJ, nowhere near GA. I really didn't even want to drive that far (my first choice is about half that distance), but I have few choices. I have no health problems, but I am 6'4" and 280 lbs, in pretty good shape. ASC told me that they have a 285 lb weight limit. which is why it seemed like a good plan to me. Alabama Skydiving Center also told me the same thing (but I think it's the same company, and Atlanta is closer if I were to go to one of them).

I really don't want to drive much further than 800 miles if possible, since my funds have become limited lately (I have money put aside just for this that I won't touch otherwise), and gas is expensive. I also drive a truck with 235,000 miles on the original engine and transmission, and though I've made extensive repairs, I don't know if I'd trust it for thousands of miles at a time.

I made a trip to GA last month and went to The Farm! They are great and I went to Skydive Atlanta. I did not make a jump at ASC because, you know, you just get that "feeling". Go to The Farm and have fun. There is a reason they charge less. Money isn't everything.

285 is very large unless the tandem master is very small. The total exit weight of a tandem is to be under 500 pounds since that is all the gear is certified for. The tandem rig/parachutes/etc all weight about 50-55 lbs. With your weight and the gear that leaves 160 lbs for the Tandem instructors total weight.

Instead of a tandem you may want to look at an AFF course closer to you since some sport containers are rated to 300 lbs.

Companies that overlook requirements and manufactor/FAA certifications should be looked at very closely.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

You could do a search for the "What Can We Do About Skyride?" thread if you have a week to sit down and read through it, or google "Skyride Scams" and there's bound to be some informative links for you to see and understand what they do. Here's one link for you to get started with - http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/1800skyride-c14757.html

ASC is part of Skyride. Please avoid them. Their prices may look like they're in line with other competitors, but you don't see the add-on fees until after the fact. And they require a credit card transaction before they even tell you where to go. Don't do it.

I sympathize with your plight, being a big dude, but there are more reputable DZs out there that can help you. I think Bigun would know.

280 lbs does put a damper on things because of safety with the gear. what i would question is why would most dz's say no, most likely because of safety with the gear, and ACS says yes even though they have the same gear restrictions.

my recommendation is to loose 35-40 lbs and go to a dz closer to you. just think the money you save by eating less can go towards jumps.

i am not trying to say anything bad to you about the weight but all gear has weight limits that need to be followed, your life is more important to us than a jump.

I commend your desire for wanting to learn to skydive.

Your right that ASC in GA is the same Company as the ASC in AL.

I won't try and sway your opinion about the company here, you can read the numerous threads, law suit links and BBB complaint links and make up your own mind.

As for the true issue at hand. Most DZ's do not have systems that would allow you (at current discribed weight) to land a solo piloted canopy at a safe wing loading. If a DZ says they have the gear to do it ask for a little info before signing up.

1. What is the student main canopy I will be using?
2. What will my wing loading be? (your probably looking for a .85 or less, that is your body weight devided into the canopies square footage)
3. What experience does the DZ and its staff have with Students at my wieght?

If the DZ has large enough canopies, that allow a low enough wing loading, with staff who can and have jumped with heavier (usually meaning faster falling) students you will have a good time and enjoy the sport as much as the rest of us.

I think the Ohio DZ I go to would welcome you, but that is a long drive for you too.

It may just be that you wait and lose the weight needed till you can go to a closer DZ.

I think that maybe you might be better off and go that way as it sounds like the DZ that you had talked to, may only be thinking of safety and asking you to lose weight to get back under the maximum wing loading for the equipment.

Maybe not the news you wanted but it may be the news you needed.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

The Farm is an option if I can somehow get down to 260 lbs. Any place closer that I've called have limits of 250 lbs or less (some as low as 200), and a few have height limits of 6'1" or 6'2". I wasn't very interested in tandem anyway, I want to make a couple of AFF jumps. Almost no place has any gear rated to my weight, or if they do, they don't have instructors that would be able to keep up, or the DZ is simply unwilling.

Bigun was who I talked to when I posted a thread a few months back when I knew almost nothing about the sport and had no idea where to go. He helped me out quite a bit with information, and I've done some research on my own since then. I tried to contact him again before making this thread but haven't gotten a response, so I assume he hasn't been on the forum recently.

As for wingloading, ASC said that they have a 300 ft² canopy, which would put me at 1.08:1 assuming 40 lbs of gear. From the research I've done, my understanding is that under 1:1 is ideal for students, but that lower wingloading is more important for smaller people (that, for example, a 160 lb student with gear with a 150 ft² canopy would be at much more risk than me at 320 lbs w/ gear and a 300 ft² canopy). Am I correct in this belief? I don't know if other places have such equipment available.

I've heard about Skyride and didn't realize ASC was part of them. I'll be avoiding them, then. I just wish I had a suitable alternative.

For some of the more experienced folks out there;
Why could he not just purchase one of these and make sure it has an aad in it.
http://www.parachuteshop.com/mc4_military_parachute_system.htm

That alone would satisfy the UselesSPA requirements for gear. It seems then all you would need are a couple of instructors who arent afraid to wear weight belts to keep up with him. Would it work? Just trying to cover all the options here.
Muff #5048

That alone would satisfy the UselesSPA requirements for gear. It seems then all you would need are a couple of instructors who arent afraid to wear weight belts to keep up with him. Would it work? Just trying to cover all the options here.

That might be a good long term solution, but right now I'm in bad shape financially, and have about $1000-1200 that I can spend to make a few jumps now, and get back into it later when I'm not so strapped for cash.

Sure he could, but wow 9K to start is a bit pricey yeah?

It would also have very low resale for him as he progressed.

Losing the weight and working with a reputable DZ and staff would be the route I would go, but it is Just my opinion.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

The height limit is usually since the continers are only able to adjust so far to fit a torso. Its just not safe to try to shove a 6'5" person into a harness that only goes to 6'. If you are really tall and heavier your options are really limited. NBA players can't just walk into any FootLocker to get size 16 shoes ;)

Solo jumper harnesses and reserve canopies are rated to either 255lbs or 300lb exit weight. Schools using the harnesses rated at the lower levels will not be able to help you since they usually use 235 as their limit, only schools with gear rated to higher limits can assist if your exit weight is in the limits (figure 25-30lb for the gear). The other thing is that you need instructors that have experience flying with larger students. There are a lot of former Military FreeFall instructors out there that can help in this area in addition to a lot of civilians.

There is also a difference between being a 6'5" 285 rugby player and a 6'5" 285lb couch potato. Call the local DZ's and explain your situation. I would start with CrossKey's in NJ. If they can not help a few other larger DZ's on the east coast might be able to help. There are options out there but make sure that the gear is correct for you before you go jump.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

True...it's bad enough trying to find size 14 shoes. I usually have to pay twice as much (full retail price rather than buying at an outlet) for them. The height isn't an issue at most place, most say that have no limit. It's only my weight that's a big problem at most places. I've tried to lose some weight recently...didn't do so well, only having a net loss of 5 lbs (though it does seem that I lost more fat than that and replaced it with lean mass). I do have some extra body fat, but overall I'm much closer to the aforementioned rugby player than the couch potato. My biggest problem is my cigarettes, and I also recently had someone I know die of lung cancer. He wasn't the first, but this one was only 30 years old. Since 30 really isn't all that far off for me, it's definitely time for me to stop smoking. I want to jump ASAP, then immediately quit smoking, and if I happen to not be able to lose weight for a while or even gain 10 lbs temporarily, it won't be a huge issue as I'll be healthier overall and won't need to be a specific weight for anything, once I've done this.

Having spoken to nearly every place listed in USPA's database, it doesn't seem as if availability of equipment or instructors is plentiful, or even exists at all. Limiting myself to a 2-hour drive is impractical if I can't jump when I get there. If I need to go far, I could take a Greyhound bus, but I'd much rather be able to drive, and for that 1000 miles would be my absolute limit due to fuel costs and vehicle reliability.

Financially, your current plan doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Skydiving is one of those sports that takes a good chunk of cash to get in to. You're probably looking at somewhere between 1000 and 2000 dollars to get your A license, depending on where you go and what kind of instruction you go through. The early AFF jumps are the most expensive jumps you'll make. And if you take time off after making them, you'll have to make them again in order to be current. So you'd basically be throwing away several hundred dollars. My recommendation is to do like everybody else is suggesting: take the time to save up enough money to get your license and, while doing that, drop some weight. 5 pounds may not seem like a lot, but if you can keep dropping that over several months, it'll add up and you'll be in the air in no time.

I can comfortably do 140 and with an arch hit 150 in my slick suit. And we have a tiny, talented and really cute female instructor that can keep up. No fear here! But we don't have a rig that will fit him.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I just called the place that was my first choice in Ohio...they finally checked with their instructors and told me that they don't have anyone willing...it's a shame that they have the equipment that can easily handle someone well over 300 lbs but can't make use of it.

I've been struggling to lose weight for quite a while but it's always proven exceedingly difficult, particularly as I'm not in bad shape to begin with. I'm about 50 lbs heavier than when I reached my current height at 18, and most of that is muscle (which I realize is fairly meaningless for skydiving, extra weight is extra weight). If I end up quitting smoking (which I think I need to hold off on for a while longer), I don't know how I'd be able to do it. Limiting food always results in severe headaches (which take anywhere from a day to a week to start), I've tried running more often but it's difficult to fit it into my schedule during daylight hours when it's not likely to get me in any trouble, and also difficult to stay motivated for such a boring sport. Last night I swam across a river several times, probably a bit unwise to tackle swift currents alone at night, but it's something I've always found very enjoyable, one of the few ways I can seem to get good aerobic exercise. I might try to make it to the ocean tonight, but both of those cost me $30 or so in gas money each and every time I go. I'll try to see what else I can do...maybe 260 is somehow possible so that I could go a little closer.

If I'm not able to lose much more, than it looks as if I'll need to figure out how to scrape up some fuel for a 2400 mile round trip, now, and hope like hell that my truck will make it. I know that in the long run financially I'd be better off waiting until I can afford to get a class A license all at once but I think I'd be taking the chance on quitting smoking, possibly gaining a few more pounds (I'll try to avoid it but I realize that the odds are against me), and never being able to jump at all. At least this way, I'll have gotten in a couple. Besides, if all goes well, if I do a couple of jumps now, they'll at least count towards my 25 even though I'd have to pay more for a refresher later on.

Just because you had trouble losing weight in the past, doesn't mean you can't. It just means you didn't have the right diet/exercise plan. Instead of spending money on making an 800 mile round trip to a dz, spend it on a few sessions with a dietician and personal trainer. Stop smoking, eat well, do some cardio and weight workouts and during the time you are losing weight, save up your money so you aren't financially strapped. The sky will still be here 6 months from now when your body is ready. You have a good incentive to lose weight now. Go for it! :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon