renee673

Denver

I'm moving to Denver from Hawaii in late august and wondered if anyone had info/advice whatever about dz's around Denver. I've never been in that area at all and am taking a 3month travel job there. I have about 200jumps now, all in hawaii where I learned so far. Is the altitude really a big change for landing?? A little nervous about that.
Also looking for any advice on things to do/see while I'm there. I'm into anything active and outdoors. climbing, hiking, etc. Thanks!!

Longmont (mile hi) is a mile hi. go figure.

the altitude may be a huge difference to you.
It will more than likely be very noticable.

If you are worried about it talk to an S&TA up there when you get there.

They should be able to answer all your questions.

My advice is
You will notice a big difference it will be like downsizing two sizes.

if that freaks you out, rent a bigger canopy for your first few jumps. better safe than dead or broken, right?

I am not very familiar with Denver but there is a LOT to do in colorado.
My photos

My Videos

I'm moving to Denver from Hawaii in late august and wondered if anyone had info/advice whatever about dz's around Denver. I've never been in that area at all and am taking a 3month travel job there. I have about 200jumps now, all in hawaii where I learned so far. Is the altitude really a big change for landing??

Your canopy has the speed of one a size to two smaller at sea level depending on temperature. On hot summer days it's a lot warmer than standard temperature, with density altitude measuring 8000-9000 feet. You lose a lot more altitude in turns. Visitors who don't listen and "go big" anyways get broken.

I suggest for those 3 months that you take a break from skydiving and the $27 per jump you will spend and instead fly in the tunnel. It will be a much better experience.

Everyone at the tunnel is awesome. Many coaches available.

Note, I have no affiliation with the tunnel, I'm not even in that state.

Longmont (mile hi) is a mile hi. go figure.

the altitude may be a huge difference to you.
It will more than likely be very noticable.

If you are worried about it talk to an S&TA up there when you get there.

They should be able to answer all your questions.

My advice is
You will notice a big difference it will be like downsizing two sizes.

if that freaks you out, rent a bigger canopy for your first few jumps. better safe than dead or broken, right?

I am not very familiar with Denver but there is a LOT to do in colorado.

MileHi's S&TA is Frank, the DZO. The AFFIs are more accessible.

I really don't want to take 3 months off of skydiving because then its winter and I won't be doing much until spring and while I"m excited for a tunnel, I love skydiving too much not to. I was considering downsizing recently but plan on putting that off now so that should help a little right? I'm currently 1:1 wing loading and was going to go a little smaller canopy to 135. I'll stay with the 150 and see. Any spend time at the other dz near denver?? Can't remember the name.

Do the real thing. Being in a tunnel is like being in a boat and saying you're swimming... :o)

Mile Hi in Longmont is your best choice. They have a Twin Otter, King Air and C-206. The other place you're thinking about may be Brush. They closed a few years ago.

Suggest staying with the 150 until you're comfortable with the field elevation here. Just be conservative and I'm sure you'll do fine.

Have fun!

I think every national team or any team that is on the podium at nationals would disagree with your lame tunnel to swimming comparison.

Tunnel teaches you to fly your body without any other outside worries like going splat.

You will simply not learn to fly your body faster or cheaper than in the tunnel. Check your sources cjd

I just started doing my AFF, and go to Mile Hi in Longmont. It is, from all accounts I've heard, the best place in the area. There is a wind tunnel in Lone Tree (1.5 hour SE of Longmont) if you want to work on body positioning etc... but with 200+ jumps you are probably okay. Mile Hi has an awesome staff, some of them coach at the wind tunnel. There is a place in Colorado Springs, but even the Air Force Academy (located in the Springs) sends their boys up to Mile Hi. Go to Longmont and talk to people there, lotsa fun and great view of Long's Peak, one of the 14'ers here. (14,000+ ft. elevation) BTW hiking 14ers is another great thing to do here in CO. Welcome to the Mountains!