maxmadmax

WFFC 2009

Ive heard so much about this event.. Been skydving for over a year now and it would be a shame for me and so many others to not have had the chance to be part of this!

YES WE CAN!
Believe nothing.
No matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

2009 or 2010? Rantoul? or Q?

I really want it back, but the restart has to be spectacular or it won't sustain annually. The unexpected drop in fuel prices make 2009 possible, but with this bad economy I don't think we'd see the thousands of jumpers we need. Maybe 2010 is more realistic?

I have attended six WFFCs. I miss it sooooo bad. It was the best. Those rare jumpships made it unique. You can't get any rarer than an ATL 98 Carvair: 85 jumpers, four props, radial engines and two decks.

Long live WFFC! It ain't gone, its just takin a rest.

Mark
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

The convention had not see "thousands" of jumpers in a few years. I'm afraid those days are over. The fact there is a turbine on every corner keeps many people at home and after a few years of no convention the door was opened for other events.

Another issue is this. The who's who in skydiving use to volunteer to help make the convention what it was. The new who's who don't do anything unless there is a dollar figure attached to it.

I think Don is done with it and after running events for a few years I can see why someone would get tired of taking the risk. The possible gain does not even come close to the risk.

This is not to say there could not or should not be a convention. It will just never be the size it was before.I think it is going to take Don turning the event over to someone like Red Bull or a group of skydiving related businesses that can get along and work together to make it happen.(good luck with that one)

The new who's who don't do anything unless there is a dollar figure attached to it.

You make some valid points, but not sure that the quote above is true. There really isn't any serious money in skydiving. MANY jumpers, including famous ones, still give their time and skills to the sport for free.

If someone is obsessed with money, skydiving is a poor place to look for it.

If Don did some miracle, like getting a an AN 22, a dirigible, and a huge helo, you could still get a couple of thousand jumpers to come. He may, however, have lost his taste for WFFC. Despite the waivers, I am sure he gets sued over the fatalities that happen at nearly every one of the events. That hassle combined with low or no profit could wear anyone down.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

What kind of helicopter would you bring? Could we jump it?
We think we may have financing together to do a little somethn' somethin' this year. Getting together in Rantoul in Jan for a little bigger discussion with the Rantoul city fathers.
Have a yippee ki ya day!

So very nice to see this back on the front page. Let's try to keep it here, and hopefully motivate all involved to bring it back in 09

I second that motion.

Have you ever seen chaos run as smoothly as it did every year at WFFC? I mean not even a major storm could knock it down for more than half a day. We'd be partying all night while Beth and the gang were ordering new tents, getting debris cleared and making the flooded DZ ready for the next day. If only our government ran as well.

He may, however, have lost his taste for WFFC. Despite the waivers, I am sure he gets sued over the fatalities that happen at nearly every one of the events. That hassle combined with low or no profit could wear anyone down.

After hanging with Don, on and off the DZ, I'll have to add my inflation adjusted 2 cents here.

The WFFC is Don's vacation from the "real world." He just happens to invite as many others along as would like to come, and share a bit of the expense.

If you think the stress of what could, or does, happen at the WFFC would deter him, you are quite wrong.

Would you lose a taste for your vacation time? I think not.

Whatever reasons Don had for pulling the plug for a couple of years, they were his reasons, and his alone.

I consider Don a friend. And as such, will stand beside him, whatever he decides to do in the future.

Persnally, I would LOVE to go back to Rantoul, at least one more time, if only to bid the convention the farewell it truely deserves.

So, in my honest and humble opinion, there needs to be at least one more WFFC. And I'm quite certain there will be. Eventually.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

If he opens the beer truck earlier-

If he brings back Tequila tasting at the liquor store.

IF he legalizes golf carts on the road to the liquor store. (Johnny Gates always wanted it legal).

If he , just tries,,,

LLLL i'm good for a jump or two.
Its a good day to LIVE, why puck up a good thing.

There is no reply in aad section for. " hell no i would not put an AAD on my back"

Greetings to All,

Beth needs your positive vibes sent to Dave.

Beth has been ill and could use some pickup vibes.
But Dave is in the hospital ICU with pnuemonia.

He's apparently making great progress....but please send your major vibes on to this WFFC couple.

Here's a link to Beth and Dave:

Vibes to Beth and Dave

Or if Facebook ain't your thing...email on!
"[email protected]

Vibe on,
Mad Max

Don't go away mad....just go away!

I would just about give up my left testicle for another WFFC. I went to every one from 1993 to the last one. I even wrote for several years a daily website diary with pics that was linked to their site.

There is NOTHING like the WFFC. In it's heydey, it was HUGE. Where else could you walk onto the DZ and in 10 minutes be last out on a 20-way entire plane shot? A carnival atmosphere, renewing friendships, parties and a great band every night - awesome. I would BE THERE. Bring it on Don!
Keith Abner
D-17590

"Those who do, can't explain; those who don't, can't understand"

My first WFFC was in 1991 the last year the herc. was there full time. Since I never missed a year until starting a DZ in 98. This was an amazing event. Anyone that has attended would say Wow!! every year.... Im looking forward to attending again when the time is right. This event drew jumpers from every country and for it to be sucessful Im sure that will need to take place again. Lets all show Don that with enough support this event still has a pulse.

Hi guys, I'm getting better and I thank you for your good wishes and prayers and vibes. Dave on the other hand is in serious shape. He has pulmonary fibrosis, interstitial lung disease, and is being put on the transplant list for a double lung transplant. All of this is a shock to us, since he was in tremendous physical condition, and had a 1 to 2 hour a day workout habit. His last jumps were in November, and he has been a tandem snagger for years. Now every breath is a workout for him. Keep him in your thoughts.
Thanks, Beth
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Would be great if it happened in Ill., but I have the following wacky ideas: EAA has the big Oskosh Airshow. Oshkosh loves all the money the show generates. There is tons of open space there, good runways, and piles of vintage planes. Why not have WFFC at a place where its appreciated, after all skydiving is sort of aviation related. EAA also must have the liability thing sorted out also as there are unfortunately some fatalities at the show now and then. I propose WFFC the week after EAA Oskosh !
Dont wake me up Im still dreamin.....jumping out of Jimmy Buffets Albatross with 6 hot chicks......uuuuummm..