chris-b

Aff in the usa

Hey guys,

I was planning on going for a trip across america in a few months time, just for a bit of travelling as ive never been there before (even though my parents used to live there and my dad is still a regular visitor). Ive noticed that the aff course is in most places, at least half the price than here in the uk.

I was thinking of having the next few months to get plenty more tunnel time in, then do the aff over there. And maybe be able to visit some more dz's on my travels! The main thing im concerned about is that I will more than likely be on my own out there, not knowing anybody! Has anybody on here been in my situation before? and how did you find it going to another country to do your training? I guess im just kinda worried that after ive done my training in the day, ill be going back to an empty room of a night, and not be able to share my new found experiences with others at the time.

Thanks!

I am gonna send you a PM with some more info...

However, I will say, you will have no problems in the USA.

In fact... I think most people go to the DZ alone when they start AFF - and quickly make new friends... I taught a FJC last weekend. 11 people. 4 people (2 pairs of 2) came with friends, the rest solo. They by the end of the class were friends.

I highly doubt you'll have any issues making new friends at any American dropzones. We tend to be a fairly social and accepting bunch. I would suggest calling ahead to the dropzones you plan on hitting to see if they have bunk space available, as that's infinitely more cheap than a hotel and means you won't have to risk driving drunk back to the hotel after celebrating with your new friends. Alternatively, buy a tent.
How are you planning on executing this? Personally, I'd recommend going through all of your AFF and your student jumps at one dropzone up front. I think that'd be the easiest way to learn and would also lend you a little more credibility as a jumper when you show up at other DZs.
Finally, as you go from DZ to DZ, make sure you're getting full safety briefings at each new DZ you visit. Probably not a bad idea to sit out the first couple of loads so you can see how things run before getting in the air yourself.

The way I would go about it would be to arrange a course with a single dz before I left, get in my solos, and maybe a few more before I start going to other dz's. Id prefer to stay with the same instructors for the duration and as you said, for more credibility when I do go elsewhere.
Im happy as anything with a tent, as long as ive got a few coronas and a bbq to go with it ;)
Id also more than likely be spending a day hanging around to get a feel of the place beforehand.

Im long overdue a good holiday, and ive got nothing holding me back... ill only regret it in 40 years time if I didnt :)

Tdog - Thanks for the pm, much appreciated. you are a friendly bunch!

The way I would go about it would be to arrange a course with a single dz before I left, get in my solos, and maybe a few more before I start going to other dz's. Id prefer to stay with the same instructors for the duration and as you said, for more credibility when I do go elsewhere.
Im happy as anything with a tent, as long as ive got a few coronas and a bbq to go with it ;)
Id also more than likely be spending a day hanging around to get a feel of the place beforehand.

Im long overdue a good holiday, and ive got nothing holding me back... ill only regret it in 40 years time if I didnt :)

I do a progressive one on one private course for people with tunnel experience if your interested. ;)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Some dz's like Eloy, Perris and DeLand have nice restaruant/bars at them, which make it nice to hang out in and meet more people at the end of the day. Plus, if you camped at a dz like those, you'd have access to food (and beer) more readily. I've run across many Brits who have done their training in DeLand and they say it is quite affordable for them and they don't seem to have a problem making friends. Just come to the states, you'll be fine. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I did my AFF in Sebastian in 2004 and loved it so much I kept coming back and now work here as an AFF instructor. The course at Sebastian was $1189 (but with gas prices rising all the time this may be out of date now)

Check out the website and have a look. People are awesome, view is amazing and the weather is better than the UK for sure!

Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can do today