haleyes

Silly question?

USPA says" Gloves are essential when the jump altitude temperature is lower than 40 degrees F."

With an exit altitude of 13,500 FT AGL and a standard lapse rate of 3 degrees C per 1000 ft (approx.). 40 degrees F = 4.4 degrees C. 13,500 FT * 3 degrees C/1000 FT = 40.5 degrees C colder at altitude than on the ground. So if it below 44.9 degrees C on the ground (or 112.8 degrees F), USPA suggests gloves are essential. So I guess USPA says gloves are essential on almost every skydive.

Beyond that, I don't know of any BSR's or FAR's preventing the instruction of students in northern DZ's during winter months.

Hook

USPA says" Gloves are essential when the jump altitude temperature is lower than 40 degrees F."

Hook

I made the mistake yesterday of doing one of my four jumps at MHSD (a three-way free fly) without gloves. And since I was the least experienced, they had me at the tail end of the train which means I was the first one out of the airplane holding on to the metal bar (which was ice cold). My left hand was still frozen by the time I got on the ground. :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Gloves are a trade-off. You lose "feel" and dexterity with gloves, but if your hands are frozen you really lose fell and dexterity. Wearing the thinnest, least inhibiting gloves possible to keep you hands warm enough not to lose feeling or dexterity is the key. Huge, bulky gloves will keep you hands warm, but they might as well be frozen because you can't feel anything through them anyway. Too thin of gloves and now you have cold hands and gloves on and can't feel anything. Having several pairs of gloves for different temperatures and testing the gloves on the ground for feel and dexterity and then using the right gloves for the given temperature is the way to go.

Hook

If you want some excellent gloves for skydiving (I own a pair of those) search for MILITARY gear, the ones I got are for Navy gunners, they are thin, so you can feel your hacky, handles, etc very well and believe me, they keep your hands warm, plus, they are waterproof.

Neuman winter sports gloves are great for jumping in the cold. Very warm and the tackified leather palm and fingers give good tactile sensation and terrific grip. Nomex fight glove are also a good item to use if you have access to military surplus.
Hearts & Minds
2 to the Heart-
1 to the Mind-
Home of the Coconut Lounge, Spa, & Artillery Range

;) Not to nitpic your facts, I seem to remember from my pilot training that the standard lapse rate is 2C degrees for every thousand foot. Just incase someone wants to calculatethe temp. at their DZ

Blue Skies
" You have never lived until you've almost died, and for those who has experienced it, life has a flavour the protected would never understand"

I was looking at that and it didn't look right. Let me do math correctly this time.

That would make it anything below 88.5 degrees F on the ground, USPA suggests gloves are essential. That sounds a lot better. I had done the math a long time ago and remebered it being something aroung 85-90 degrees F.

Thanks for keeping me honest.:$

Hook