Sonic

Landing downwind and turning low

Learned something this weekend - always make sure you know which way the wind is going before getting in the plane !! I normally do this anyway, but for some reason on this jump i didn't.

Anyways, my friend had a reserve ride on a round, and we landed about 1/2 mile form the dz. I chose to land off with him (as most people would), but as I came to turn for finals, I turned to what I thought was into wind but was the opposite. Didn't want to turn low, so landed in a muddy field downwind (it was about 10 - 15 mph). Ran out of flare, tried to slide it but misjudged it and slide on my stomach. Thank god it was only mud (gravel / asphalt would have hurt).
-----------------------------------
It's like something out of that twilighty show about that zone

He landed before me in the next field - I could have took a chance and landed in the same one, but there was power lines there, and I didn't want to fly over them.

Overall, sounds like good judgement thought about and exercised, and the price (some mud) was small. I'm sure your friend appreciated it, too.
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I turned to what I thought was into wind but was the opposite.

Good decision you made for this situation.

For similar future situations I suggest this: Usually it's pretty easy to figure out which way the wind is coming from even when you have no wind indicators to look at... if you practice this basic maneuver:

This is very easy to practice when you're under canopy at 2k & below. It will not always be 100% accurate of course, because sometimes wind direction can change drastically between 2k and ground level, but usually the winds will be travelling in similar direction all the way from 2k to the ground, so when you have nothing else to rely on, I'd suggest using this method.

At 2,000 feet you're flying the canopy in one direction... give canopy 1/2 brakes. Hold the canopy in 1/2 brakes to slow everything down and continue to fly in the same direction. Now look down directly between your feet and see how fast you are moving forward. If you're moving at high rate of speed then you're probably heading downwind. If you're crabbing (little bit of forward speed and also sliding sideways) then the wind is coming from the side mainly. Now you should have a pretty good idea which direction the wind is coming from.

So now, while still holding brakes, do a flat turn to face the direction from which you have determined the wind is coming and look down. If you were correct and you are now facing into the wind, then you will look down between your feet and see that you are either barely moving forward relative to the ground or not moving forward at all.

Now you know which way the wind is coming from, and you should still be well above 1000 ft., you will be able to set up for a proper landing pattern. My expalnation was kindof rambling here so if any of it seems fuzzy let me know and I'll try to say it a bit more clearly.

Chris

Good thing you came out alive bro. I still need a friend to use for target practice at pool ;).

just some suggestions, next time try to slide using the side of your body, something like a PLF, protect the face, head and reduce the risk of pulling the reserve silver handle.

Anyways, my friend had a reserve ride on a round, and we landed about 1/2 mile form the dz. I chose to land off with him (as most people would), but as I came to turn for finals, I turned to what I thought was into wind but was the opposite.

Rounds always goes in the direction of the wind.

>Didn't want to turn low

Try flat turns or flared turns, helps alot.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

also, if visible, check for indicators such as: which direction the leaves on the trees are blowing, where the ripples are on bodies of water, if there is any visible smoke traveling in a particular direction...

if the leaves on the trees aren't moving, then a downwind landing probably won't hurt too badly...
spiral out...keep going...

I was trying to look for smoke etc, but it was quite intense flying around this reserve, plus keeping tabs on the chopped main and the other guy who was in the same airspace as well.

where the ripples are on bodies of water

Good general advice but be careful of this one as small wavelets that can be seen from 100ft altitude will only be going in the direction of the wind if the wind has been blowing in the same direction for many hours, even days depending on the depth and size of the body of water. Experienced yachtsmen do not use waves as a wind guide for this reason.
Rich M