ChrisD

Marking Lines on DZ Field

Any body have any info or experience using something other than Lime to mark lines?

I want to mark up the field and have some concerns about the nylon being dragged thru lime.

C

Can't find any other posts, and can't find a local distrubutor for chaulk.

Thanks!!!
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Just this past friday i visited a nearby C 182 DZ , and the DZO described
how he recently created a 25 meter diameter Target, with a 10 meter diameter "Bullseye "
which the jumpers tell me, can be seen Easily, from the air.

He drove a stake into the ground at the center and used a correctly measured length of rope... and ran the perimeter, keeping the rope taut...
and applying some sort of weed/vegetation killer....( Round - Up , Maybe ) It took a week or so, but the circle(s) then became visible...re-apply as needed in a stripe which is as WIDE as you'd like...

Now jumpers can really tell if they are "within a certain distance of the target ". I suppose you could run strings, to lay out any shape design...

good luck

jimmytavino

applying some sort of weed/vegetation killer....( Round - Up , Maybe ) It took a week or so, but the circle(s) then became visible

along those same lines... When I needed to put some lines down when putting up a new fence on the farm the other day I used my pear burner, same effect as round up but instant :)

At Skydive Dallas, we are using traffic cones to mark the edge of the grass runway.

The 20 m circle around the accuracy target (for A-licence) is marked with paving stones set into the grass so that the top is flush with the soil. The pavers are painted white.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Any body have any info or experience using something other than Lime to mark lines? I want to mark up the field and have some concerns about the nylon being dragged thru lime.

Spray paint: Cheap, easy, dries fast, very little will rub off on canopies, and whatever does will be dry.

Not particularly good for the environment, but neither is burning fuel for our entertainment.

ChrisD

Any body have any info or experience using something other than Lime to mark lines?

I want to mark up the field and have some concerns about the nylon being dragged thru lime.

C

Can't find any other posts, and can't find a local distrubutor for chaulk.

Thanks!!!

Are you thinking about a grassfield?
Why not just cut the grass lower, if that is possible.

We had a circle cut out on our field and it was clearly visible from about 1000 m, if I remember correct.

Consider renting a sod cutter. Completely removes the grass and leaves no chemical residue. Fill in the recess with some soil to level it out the depression from the removed sod . The grass will eventually fill back in. But it can be held at bay for quite a while by just a quick use of a weed eater.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

:)
This was brought up as well and additionally fill in the space with chalk.

Lots of great ideas, cost V labor seem to be an issue, nothing is easy.

Perhaps this is why so many DZ's have different approaches? If it is going to happen it seems labor needs peermission, and cost: the subject of who is going to pay comes up very quickly.

Everyone I speak with and many thanks so far for the great ideas, but is this a good idea in the first place?

At DeLand we have a trench, well it's a filled in line with a slight depression that is getting a little tired and harder to see each day. Do we really need a line anyways, all the people familiar with the dz know not to land too close anyways?

Thanks again

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Ours is mowed in. We have an offset trailer that we use for mowing (so deck under the mower and the trailer). We set them at different heights and mow concentric rings for the main target.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=53120&hl=en&ll=42.79966,-88.370891&spn=0.003838,0.008256&sll=44.900771,-89.56949&sspn=15.171536,33.815918&t=h&hnear=East+Troy,+Wisconsin+53120&z=18
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Go to Home Depot or Menards. Buy a can of the marker paint contractors and Utility Companies use to mark construction sites. Road crews use it to mark for repairs. Cheap, easy, readily available. Also, available in many, bright colors.

http://www.menards.com/main/paint/spray-paint/professional-contractor/rust-oleum-professional-striping-paint-spray/p-1956156-c-8050.htm
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

jimmytavino

I suppose you could run strings, to lay out any shape design...

No, don't do that. Strings are trip wires, like arresting hooks on aircraft carriers. When swoopers come in fast dragging their feet across the ground, they'll be snagged like an F/A-18 Hornet screeching to a halt on a carrier deck.

:S:):S

welllllllll, you WOULDn't LEAVE the strings out there...!!!!!!:S:o

you'd run them for marking purposes... !! and THen remove THEM....when the lines have been laid down.....:| or weed killer dispersed.. or Paint,, etc etc...

"call the Ball"....hahaha!!!B|
"talk to me Goose.."
" Ah Roger, Mav,,, I Have him !! Bogey heading 3 -Two-Zero
closure speed 900 Knots "

:D