Reginald

Drop Zones in San Francisco

I'm visiting the Bay Area the weekend of June 7th and would love to do some jumps. What are the turbine DZ's in the area and which has the best scenic views? I'd love it if one were close enough to the bay to be able to get a good pic in free fall with the bay in the background? Any suggestions?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I'm visiting the Bay Area the weekend of June 7th and would love to do some jumps. What are the turbine DZ's in the area and which has the best scenic views? I'd love it if one were close enough to the bay to be able to get a good pic in free fall with the bay in the background? Any suggestions?

I've only been to Lodi, Hollister and Monterey Bay (granted that's not in the SF Bay area). I don't remember any spectacular views of the bay from Lodi. Byron I think is closer.

Monterey Bay's views are outstanding, breath-taking and spectacular. If you don't mind the drive...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Bryon is the closest but I can't say I have "noticed" the bay when jumping there, but haven't been looking.
At SkyDance it can be seen....but it is a long way off, on a clear day you can see the Golden Gate but not often due to the fog/smog. (which afffects all DZ's in the area) Bryon is definately your best bet if that is the main purpose of your trip. Check out Roy and Lany's web page and see if you can see if there are pictures that show potential - http://girlgiorgi.smugmug.com/

If you're coming the weekend of June 7th then we are holding scrambles that Saturday at SkyDance so come play if you want some fun FS.

Hmm, about how long is the drive from downtown SF?

Mapquest says 106 miles from the Ramada Inn in downtown San Francisco to Skydive Monterey Bay. It quotes a 2 hour drive (yeah right). But if you go early in the morning, it should be worth the drive. It's one of the greatest views I've ever enjoyed on the ride to altitude or in freefall/under canopy.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Beware of the fog in Monterey though.

Yep, been there, seen that. It got interesting riding with my brother in his plane around that area. The mountain range just east of the bay sometimes acts as a buffer. You might have a low cloud layer completely covering the land west from that range to the ocean, and the land east of the range will be totally clear. I was flying into San Jose from home and he came to pick me up in his Bonanza and fly me back to his home airport in Watsonville (he used to live in Aptos near Santa Cruz at the time). We started to fly over that range but it was totally socked in. So he flew a bit further down until we hit a gap in the range and flew through that. Now THAT was interesting! Banking left then right then left following the curving road through the pass with 5000 foot slopes on both sides! ;) Got through to the other side UNDER the cloud layer. He called it Scud-running... What fun. My dad didn't think it was much fun. :D

Beware of the fog in Monterey though.

Yep, been there, seen that. It got interesting riding with my brother in his plane around that area. The mountain range just east of the bay sometimes acts as a buffer. You might have a low cloud layer completely covering the land west from that range to the ocean, and the land east of the range will be totally clear.

I started jumping in Hollister. Have seen many times where Monterey was fogged in solid, and H-town to the east was totally clear.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Skydive Monterey Bay. Not owned by Jess Rodriguez any longer, and Jess is a super good guy, but the views are of the Monterey Bay, Pebble Beach and one of the most beautiful places in the US (IMHO). ;) Only about an hour or two south of SF B| As far as views go, SMB beats "H town" :S, Byron and the rest hands down.

See pic. Oops, cannot upload the pic because it's too big but I will put it on my avatar and you can see it.

Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

On a clear day at Byron, you can see from the Sierras to the Faralon Islands (at altitude). Given, both would be teeeeeeny in a picture. In addition, area immediately around byron is pretty neat to look at. Nice people too :) (as do the other NorCal DZ's). Never been to Monterrey; it's reputation for fog precedes it.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

It is possible to get a shot with the bay in the background in Byron, but it will be very tricky.. the bay is a long way away.. If you decide to come out to Byron, look me up, I am usually there and there is enough scenery there to put in the background.

For the best views Monterey hands down... check out my photogallery from there: http://www.shutterfly.com/progal/album.jsp?aid=768a5498cecd946a4d38

But Monterey is just what the others already said.. The fog makes it challenging

Hmm, about how long is the drive from downtown SF?

Mapquest says 106 miles from the Ramada Inn in downtown San Francisco to Skydive Monterey Bay. It quotes a 2 hour drive (yeah right). But if you go early in the morning, it should be worth the drive. It's one of the greatest views I've ever enjoyed on the ride to altitude or in freefall/under canopy.

I found that during the very long AFF process, that 1:50 was about the driving time from SF to get to Monterey Bay around 9am. Unfortunately, no guarantees that the fog will burn off before 11, and/or that the wind will exceed student limits by 11.

It does win on view, esp when the clouds are rolling inland just north of the DZ. I like Davis a lot because of the crop squares. Byron is really cool when it's still green. Same with Hollister. Don't have too many at Lodi - I like freeways from above like Elsinore, but wineries aren't nearly as good looking from above as you'd expect.

(If this is the only criteria you want)