Squeak

AFF 8

Hi peoples,
I did aa solo consolidation jump from 14000' then AFF8 today, 2x 360 turns, fast fall, slow fall, backflip, 80 degree turn and track of with direction change.
I styarted my track after all the above at 6000', but I am still having trouble with me legs in freeefall. Are there any exercises i can do to get my legs in the right position for a box position??
I think i have them bent up enough and when i view the video, they're still out way to far?
Any Tips???:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I read somewhere that you should practice tracking in a pool. Got somebody to go realy in depth about the mechanics then just kept sinking and kicking off the wall and trying to focus. You sort of feel the lift I guess but not much. It is better than practicing on a table top. Now they say I track well for a new guy.

I can't help you with anything man because I am still a wuffo for another week (I can't wait until the weekend hey) - just wondering if that means you passed or not? I aint familiar with the needs to pass that stage. :P

If your going to live in FEAR, why live at all!!!!!

:)The instructors are happy with my progress, But I'm not happy with my form.
Granted the instructors have 5000 plus jumps each, but i know what it looks like by watching them and I'm down on myself because what I do looks a lot different.
My way of thinking is learn from the best and try to not develop bad technique or habits.
My instructors tell me not to worry it will come. I I want it sooner rather than later and would like some tips or exercises to try and develop better leg placement.:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Morning, Squeak...

Good job on passing AFF8...

I'd like to pass on something my instructor told me after I "quit" on level 5. As we sat in the bar, and I was cutting myself down, Ed said...

How many minutes have you spent in Freefall? Less than 5, I answered. How many minutes do you think those tennis players have played before they walked onto the Wimbledon court? Well, that's different, Ed... Yes, but is it really? He says. You're a student, Michele. Be a student. Learn, learn, learn, but don't wig if you aren't perfect. As long as you land safely, you're perfect enough.

I guess what I'm saying is that with low airtime, body position is not going to look like those guys who teach us, or those folks who are close to the top. It's a great goal to have - to be like them - but this shit is hard, and won't come overnight. If they have something like 5,000 minutes in freefall and you have 8, that's like the difference between a baby crawling and Edwin Moses running hurdles...he crawled first, too.

Hang in there, let perfection be a successful landing, and the leg position will develop with time and practice.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Lie on the floor (or a creeper), spread your knees wide and bent up with your toes pointing at the sky - then back up against a wall so that your shins are more or less pressed against it. Stay there reading a book or something until your body is used to the new leg position.

If you have not done so already, try to have someone video tape you in freefall. A video is worth a thousand words. When youcan actaully see yourself, the learning curve goes way up. Good luck

I have all but AFF 2+3 video taped, I tape them in real time than agin in slow motion.
I have seen what I look like in freefall, but my problem is, that when I am falling I "THINK" muy legs are in one position, but when I review the video, I find that they are in a completely different position. This was also true of my tracking, I "thought" my arms were virtually by my sides, but when I reviewed the video, they were in more of a delta position.
I want eyes in the back of my headB|
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

From my instructors:

In a delta, your legs are a shoulder width apart and your hands are about a hands width away from your sides, and are in line with the front of your body.

In a track, your feet are together, your arms are against your body, and slightly below it. Your shoulders are rolled forward. You are de-arched.

Not necessarily what I actually do, but thats how it was described to me. When I delta, I go around in circles. But then again, I only have 20 jumps....
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Body position are different deltas will allow you to move forward as well as drop down reasonably fast.
A trak is for covering horizontal distance and loosing less altitude.
Apparently you can travel at over 120mph (200km/h) horizontally in a track:D 200km/h foward speed and no motor, you gotta love that :ph34r:

My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I want it sooner rather than later and would like some tips or exercises to try and develop better leg placement.

Wind Tunnel.

If you can, try taking a tunnel session with a coach. There are several people/groups that offer coaching packages in the tunnel, and even the staff are excellent coaches if you decide to go solo.

The advantages of tunnel training are proven. (Note the recent medaling of teams with tunnel training). And price wise it's almost cheaper than accumulating the same amount of freefall time. It's just that you have to lay down that big wad all at one time.:S

BSBD
'In an insane society a sane person seems insane.' Mr. Spock

Nice idea the wind tunnel, but we don't have one in Australia leyt alone Western Australia:(
I think tunnel time would be terrific.

My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?