lauras

Zhills 6th Annual 4-Way Scrambles, Sunday May 25th

Mark your calendars! Oren's running his 6th annual 4-way Scrambles this Memorial Day weekend. All levels are encouraged to participate - just have an A license, 4 jump tickets and $25 to cover video on every round. A number of freeflyers and CRW dogs have participated in the past so don't be shy if you think your RW skills are a little rusty. 11 teams were assembled last year and this year should be bigger!

The Format:
- Show up at Skydive City/Zhills at 8am, Sunday morning
- Register with Oren & hand over your tickets & $25 (exact change would be great)
- You will be assigned a team according to your experience level. Each team is comprised of an experienced 4-way competitor, 2 experienced/intermediate jumpers and 1 rookie. We try to distribute as evenly as possible to keep things fair.
- 4 rounds are jumped during the course of the day & judged. There will be video on every jump. Points are tallied on a score board.
- Sally Hathaway (former Team USA 4-way champion) will provide free coaching for the teams.
- No ringer teams EVER. The competition is very tight and last year 1 or 2 points separated second through ninth place.

Plenty of prizes as usual. Last year's top teams won 40% off Wings certificates, PD t-shirts, Skydive City jump tickets, Nylon City packing tickets, 20 to 50% off Michigan Suits certificates, Sunshine Factory vouchers, 30% off Javelin certificate, boxes of Sunpath beer koozies, as well as a random drawing of all the participants for 2 free Larsen & Brusgaard products.

Bu Klinge is the current King of Scrambles (1st place in 2006 & 2007). The team captain that defeats him gets to throw him in the swoop pond (I haven't told him this part yet, shhhhh). Come witness the drama!

Contact Oren at okalbATYahooDOTcom with any questions or if you'd like to register early.

My first time participating in the ZHills 4way scrambles was a skydiving milestone for me. I encourage everyone to participate, you'll have lots of fun and learn alot too! It's my favorite ZHills event.

The only difficult part is thinking up the silliest name for your team---there should be a booby prize for funniest name:P.

marc

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

The only difficult part is thinking up the silliest name for your team---there should be a booby prize for funniest name:P.

He He...you said booby!
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

hi guys....i'd fit into the very very rookie category:)
in town that weekend from Ireland, if i got some coaching fri sat would i be welcome???B|

If you have an A license 4 tickets and $25 you are welcome:P

come on out and play it is always a good time
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

oooh sounds like fun. I guess this will be a stupid question this being the states and all, but is it possible to get to zhills by public transport (could only find trains to orlando, but hey, might have missed something)? Im in florida on family holiday (wbp), and the pool area was sort of fully explored by day one :P would be awesome to get a day or so at a dz, and a scrambles comp would be a huge bonus! :) (and yeah, i dont have a car nor a driver's license, hence the question about public transport)

There's no public transportation between Orlando and Z-hills. Your best bet is to catch a ride with someone from the area. Hopefully someone will see your post and send you a pm. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

already had two offers, from karl and rick! orlando seems to be the easiest to get to (tampa is a whooping 8 hours on the busB|), but im eager and easy!

But if anyone sees this from the west palm area, and would want to share some fuel costs, id be well up for that as well ;)

this holiday really made me realise im too old for family holidays :p

already had two offers, from karl and rick!

sounds scary to me! the only thing scarier than doing 4way with karl or rick would be zooming down rock ridge road with them! :P

im eager and easy!

hmmm....so are karl and rick!
NOW I'm really worried! :P

marc

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

:p i'm sure i'll be just fine

anyway, just 2 more quick questions;

1. I called and asked about the rv camping thingy, and was told it was 25/day, however it completely slipped my mind to ask is it $25 for renting a space in a camper van, or is that the price for hooking up your own van? (maybe thats a retarded question, but hey im foreign ;) )

2. Any suggestions as to where you can buy cheapskate tents? (i.e. can you get them in any of the big department stores etc?)

cheers!

Anta

If I recall the RV $25-00 is for a RV to sleep in and this is when you rent from Judy & Pip.

Walmart is in town and I'm sure someone will give you a ride out there for a tent if need be ... they DZ has showers etc, so you should be at least clean during your visit ;)

If I recall the RV $25-00 is for a RV to sleep in and this is when you rent from Judy & Pip.

ah cool! I was a bit worried i'd turn up there wanting to rent somewhere to sleep, and they'd be like "so where's your rv that you wanted to hookup" :D hmm hmm hmm, ill see what i'll do, still one day 'til D-day!

ARE YOU READY??

According to NOAA.gov, the forecast is looking pretty good! Lots of prizes & goodies from Aerodyne, Wings, PD, Larsen & Brusgaard, Sunshine Factory, Skydive City, Michigan Suits, etc. Oren's also lined up a nice surprise after the meet for the Scrambles participants!

Remember, all you need is an A license, 4 jump tickets, $25 & a willingness to talk all kinds of smack to the other teams on your plane.

See you there!

Sunday, May 25th 8am registration in the covered area.

Just have to give a very BIG THANKS to Oran, Laura, Mike .... each and every jumper from the 15 teams who came out to jump and the very skilled camera flyers, who jumped back to back to keep us all in frame ....

The Scrambles Meet was a blast .... Thanks Guys and Girls, till next year :)

i am impressed, Karl, that you are very humble and didn't announce the winning team in capital letters! Weiners were the winners!

Had a great time as always! And congrats to Captain Rick whose team came in third! him him *$%&!# him!

thanks oren and laura, and thanks karl for the grab bag prizes like aerodyne lipbalm (i think that is what that tube is for?:S)

The winning team had a young man who had 43 jumps by the end of the rounds.

marc

We had a fantastic turn-out for the Scrambles Meet this year! 15 teams were put together and competed over 4 rounds. It took a little longer than usual since we didn't have a dedicated Otter this time but 3 teams were on every load from #4 through 23. Participant experience ranged from well over 5000+ jumps to as low as 39.

Many, many thanks to the following people that made the event run so smoothly:

Manifest: Debbie Dellibac & Laurie Clark
Video: Jody Conn, Pip Redvers, Dave Colucci, SGM Russ, Martin Skrzypczak & Randy Lopez
Our very generous sponsors: TK Hayes & Skydive City, Sunrise Manufacturing, Aerodyne, Larsen & Brusgaard, Sky Systems, Michigan Suits, Paragone Rigging & Nylon City.
Coach: Sally Hathaway
Judges/Organizers/etc: Oren Kalb & Mike Wolfe
Team Captains: Karl Meyer, Rodney Cruce, Rick Ream, Leslieann McCormack, Jim "Bu" Klinge, Christine Freiherr, Alicia Wolfe, James Saine, Paul Bertorelli, Craig Sagelow, Paul Bartkus, Steve Rand, Keith Walter, Bill Bickner & Ryan Scarlett.

The draw:
E M J Q (meeker, star, donut, phalanx)
P O 6 (sidebody, satellite, stardian-stardian)
H D B A (bow, yuan, diamond, unipod)
F N 7 (open, crank, buddies-buddies)

This year's winning team was Smoking Aces AKA The Weiners. Team Captain Karl Meyer led Marty Hauser, Donnie Grenade & Mark Curto, scoring 31 points.

Rodney Cruce's team, A Kept Woman, came in second, also with 31 points but Karl's team scored highest in the last round. Rodney, however, gets props for turning the 6 vertically! His team-mates were Quinn Lamb (who had 39 jumps when we started the day) Ryan Anderson & Yvette Walter.

Rick Ream's team, Cath's Big Boy Toys, came in third with 30 points. Rick & his team-mates Chip Bowlim, Catherine Datte & Jon Sikorsky get props for making some of the funniest shaped formations as the 3 guys were between 6'2" & 6'8" & Catherine's barely 5' tall. No, this was not done on purpose. :D

First Place Prize: 40% off Wings Certificates & Wings tee-shirts

Second Place Prize: 30% off any Aerodyne Canopy Certificates & a free pack job from Nylon City

Third Place Prize: 30% Michigan Suits Certificates & PD tee-shirts from Paragone Rigging

Fourth Place Prize: 20% off Michigan Suits Certificates

Last Place Prize: 50% off Michigan Suits Certificates

A random drawing was held for: 2 free pack jobs from Nylon City, a helmet bag from Paragone Rigging, 2 30% off Certificates with tee-shirts, tube stoes & lanyards from Sky Systems, and a L&B Solo, Optima & Viso. Aerodyne also sponsored goodie bags for every participant. Almost forgot to mention that Oren had a great Cuban dinner catered (thanks Gabe!) for everyone afterwards as well.

Thanks again to all of our participants, sponsors and Skydive City for making this off-season event so special for the local skydivers. It's great to see new faces and watch everyone help each other out.

I just want to post a special thanks to Lauras. She helped me pull all of this together. This event has gotten bigger every year and I can no longer do it on my own. She was also nice enough to spend her birthday running around making sure the scrambles worked. Happy Birthday!!!!!
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana