dogdoghowl

Flying very flat. Any suggestions on how to arch?

I am an A licenced jumper with about 30 jumps. I am 6'2" and weigh only 160lbs (tall and skinny), and consequently have a very slow fall rate. Whilst I am fairly stable in the air, I am finding that I am having trouble keeping up with other jumpers because I have such a large surface area and so little weight. If I could arch much more then it would be OK, but I am having problems developing a good arch, and naturally want to fly flat and wide. My only thought is that I should try some lower back stretching exercises (If this is the way to go, can anyone let me know of the stretches I should be doing). Are there any other jumpers out there that have experienced similar problems? I am very keen to rectify this problem, as it is holding me back greatly.

Push your hips forward - this is the best place to arch from. Also try bringing your arms in as well. Works for me when I need to fall faster (I managed 156mph flat flying on saturday)
-----------------------------------
It's like something out of that twilighty show about that zone

This is going to sound stupid but it works with my students.

Pretend you have a quarter that your going to hold in your butt cheeks. SQUEEZE those cheeks, and relax the upper body. A lot of the time your arching at the chest without realizing it.

Your about 3 inches taller than me and a tad lighter, but you should be able to get a pretty decent fall rate going.

Eventually you will probably have to strap on some weights as HooknSwoop suggest. This will allow you to fall without maxing your arch all the time. If your always at max arch, everytime you go to transition you "pop up" a little bit.

BSBD
'In an insane society a sane person seems insane.' Mr. Spock

I tend to speed up when I use it. Must have it slightly wrong.

the common misconception is that you bring your arms/hands in under your chin. you do that and you will fall faster, but you wont be able to work the air as much as if your hands are out in front of you where they should be for the most part.

You can also purchase a lead belly-weights. Yes...I, too, preach to my students, "learn to fly your body", but there are times when weights are needed. As you gain more experience, you will relax more in freefall, allowing for more arch. If someone at the DZ has weights, give them a try.

Screw all that, just jump with me =) I'm 6'2" 140. I'm not particularly good at gaining speed either, but here's what I've learned so far (60 jumps):

jumpsuit material and tight fit makes a world of difference. cotton bad. nylon good. if you haven't already, get yourself a skin-tight custom jumpsuit. Usually they come with spandex on the back so you can still breathe =)

pretend you are playing wheelbarrow, get your legs way up there.

weights help

don't bother reaching if you start floating up when docking, back off and try again. if you reach, you'll probably end up flipping over your partners' back.

good luck

Nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

I am an A licenced jumper with about 30 jumps. I am 6'2" and weigh only 160lbs (tall and skinny), and consequently have a very slow fall rate. Whilst I am fairly stable in the air, I am finding that I am having trouble keeping up with other jumpers because I have such a large surface area and so little weight.

Just to let you know, it works both ways. I'm 5'11" and 210#, and I fall like a dart. If I jump in my normal arch, I could keep up with most of the sitflyers at my dropzone. I definately understand the frustration, in that I feel that my fall rate is holding me back.

For me, it's getting better. I'm slowly learning how to spread out while maintaining control, but it's taking time.

I don't have any advice, except to offer the same mantra that I've been using. It will get easier with practice.

Some weights might help, but just relax during freefall and the arch will come :P , I'm a light skydiver too, 5' 7" and 135 Lb. but I can fall fast if I want.

the thing is if you are flying at an extreme, it will be harder to fly with other people, because you're always on the edge of your performance envelope. If you're light add weight, if you're heavy, dress for success.

Guys,

I'm being taught how to navigate this site, (Quade you are an inspiration). I've only made a few posts.

Looking at the jump numbers and comments in this thread, I'll just offer this: for good body flight advice please oh please e-mail someone with some real body flight instruction experience, a few thousand jumps, and maybe some 4-way medals (look on the Skyventure site for coaches and fire off some e-mails).

Who was ordering a weight vest? Look into a weight BELT, it pulls you down where you need it.

OK. Let's see if I can hit the right button to send this off...

Who was ordering a weight vest? Look into a weight BELT, it pulls you down where you need it.

Pam,

Not the person who mentioned a weight vest a bit earlier, but thought I should post a reply here anyway...

For some of us (ahem) who are a little more 'light' in the chest area and are light and lean overall (women mostly) a weight vest is the key. I've tried a weight belt but this makes my chest ride high and give me a back-sliding effect. Yeah, a weight vest works wonders instead in helping correct this body-limiting factor of mine.

If you have any other advice for people in my predicament, please write it here for we'd all like to learn.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Looking at the jump numbers and comments in this thread, I'll just offer this: for good body flight advice please oh please e-mail someone with some real body flight instruction experience, a few thousand jumps, and maybe some 4-way medals

I'm confused. Does it really take someone like you've described to offer advice on a basic body position?? I could see your point if he was asking about doing knee turns or specifics about flying the mantis position or the best way to engineer a specific block... but I really don't think it takes a handful of medals and a couple thousand jumps to help a newbie fall faster or slower or with more stability.

Lori,

As we discussed today at the DZ, (but I'll respond here again 'cause I can do that now) you probably don't need a weight vest to correct your body flight, just some time in the tunnel or even in freefall with the right coach.

What a coincidence, we are flying a couple of great ones out to Perris next weekend (Shannon Pilcher and David van Greuningen).

I believe you should still wear lead around the waist based on the body flight techniques my coaches are teaching to me. I suggest that you and the folks on this site seek answers from the body flight gurus at the tunnel.

I know you are filming the body flight camp at Perris next weekend, but be sure to lurk the debriefs and seminars if you can swing it, I think you will have your questions answered.

P.