ianmdrennan

Skydive The Farm opens Canopy School

I'm proud to announce that Skydive The Farm has officially opened the Canopy School. We are tightly integrating into the AFF program to ensure that students are given quality instruction as soon as they graduate.

The school will also cater to intermediate and advanced pilots, as well as competitive swoopers, and one on one coaching can be arranged.

I will be teaching courses on the following dates, if you're interested please contact Skydive The Farm for pricing and slots:

May 3rd - Essentials Course (all levels welcome)
May 4th - Advanced Course (typically focuses on High Performance flight).

June 21st - Essentials Course (all levels welcome)
June 22nd - Advanced Course (typically focuses on High Performance flight).

Sept 27th - Essentials Course (all levels welcome)
Sept 28th- Advanced Course (typically focuses on High Performance flight).

Blues!
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

thats awesome Ian,
you will bring many great things to this sport...

to everyone considering Ian as a canopy control teacher.
Ian is one of the best up and coming teachers I have ever seen. he has years experience, and his ability to take the action and put them into words is impressive.

Yet another great addition to the Farm.

Ian, I think what you are doing is excellent. You have so much skill and talent. Thank you for your willingness to share and teach others.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

I'm in, just emailed Hans to get the info. Thanks for offering this! Now I don't have to drive 10 hours to do a canopy course! Wohooo!
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

I'd like some one-on-one coaching please, Ian. :)
(no.. seriously.. :))

Why am I thinking the pecs have a play in this?
:D:D:P

What's wrong with my pecs anyway?
Oh...wait...I don't have any. Nevermind.
How about a hairy chest? I have two hairs...one more than Ian!

Ok, Ok...I'm outta here.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Ahhhh Hell, I'm in. And, as coincidence would have it, first weekend in May aligns perfectly with my annual "jump" trip to the mainland. Will contact Hans this pm about details and let him know the boys from Hawaii will be in town again. Count me in.

Couple quick questions... Any conflict with the Coach Course I see on the schedule?

Ian, Can you give a little break down of the course for both days? Does it somewhat mirror Scott M's course? How many jumps are involved per day? Landings videoed, etc.?

With Scott recently getting out of the Canopy Course game, this is VERY timely. Good on ya.

Oh yeah... need to add this to the Farm web site ;)

Don't be sexist… Broads hate that.

Hi Tom!

Hopefully this will answer your questions. First, I can't deny that I'm heavily influenced by Scott. I've sat in on a number of his classes (both as a student and as a pilot learning to coach) so of course there's a lot of similarities between the two. Scott has been a mentor (not always by choice :ph34r:) for a number of years. I owe him a great deal of thanks for showing me so much of what he's learned.

I basically have 3 different classes.

Essentials Course: The essentials class pretty much mirrors Scott's stuff and what you'll find in the USPA handbook. The day consists of 5 jumps with classroom training between each jump. Topics covered are patterns, essential avoidence maneuvers, understanding your gear, etc.

Intermediate/Advanced Course: This builds on all the concepts laid out in the essentials, but tends to cater more to pilots who want to get more out of their wing, understand it better, etc without going for all out competition. If you're not doing any sort of HP landings (double fronts count :)
Competition Piloting: Normally this is one on one, but it goes much more into competing and the finer aspects of HP flight. Here is where a lot of what I've learned competing (both from trial and error, but also from the PDFT, etc). Jump #'s depend entirely on the group and what they're focusing on. Pretty heavy theory stuff here :)
Thanks the 5000 ft view of the whole thing :)
edit: If the group for the advanced course is all competition centric, you'll find the advanced and the comp classes melding together a bit (more tailored to the group).

Ian,

Fantastic! Have taken Scott's course a few times and ALWAYS leave impressed and full of new knowledge. So, really excted to learn things from you as well.

I've already contacted Hans and am on the list for both Saturday and Sunday. Just hope is doesn't start too early. It's a 9 hour flight from Hawaii and then have to pick up rental, etc. So, anything you can do to hook a brother up would be appreciated ;)

Don't be sexist… Broads hate that.

First, I can't deny that I'm heavily influenced by Scott. I've sat in on a number of his classes (both as a student and as a pilot learning to coach) so of course there's a lot of similarities between the two. Scott has been a mentor (not always by choice :ph34r:) for a number of years. I owe him a great deal of thanks for showing me so much of what he's learned.

How heavily influenced by Scott? Can you teach a canopy class without needing your sunglasses as a prop? :P

Congrats, teach'. B|
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

How heavily influenced by Scott? Can you teach a canopy class without needing your sunglasses as a prop?

Absolutely not. That's one of the best teaching tricks Scott ever showed me.

I'm surprised you haven't seen me doing it before :)

How heavily influenced by Scott? Can you teach a canopy class without needing your sunglasses as a prop? :P

Ha, good one. I had forgotten about him doing that.

- David
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

Some people were asking about the course this weekend and how many people there would be. There are 7 slots per class, although my ideal number is 5. Any higher than 7 and the debriefings go too long, and people don't get enough individual attention.

See you then!

Blues,
Ian