RandomLemming

Trip to Florida - question about timing and location

We're looking to take a family vacation this year. My wife is a rollercoaster fan and I want to get some skydiving in.

Can anyone please advise whether late September / early October is a good time to visit Florida with regards to winds and other weather issues.

Also, any pointers to dropzones within about 1 - 2 hours of Orlando would be MUCH appreciated. We'd ideally like to find a villa or something about half way between the DZ and the parks and spend our days between them.

My goal is to get around 20 - 30 jumps over 5 - 7 days, with as many of them being H&Ps as possible, so this is something I need to consider in DZ choices.

Thanks loads in advance!

That time of year is still pretty warm, upper 80's for the high most of the time. The afternoon thunderstorms slow a little by then, but you'll still be in the official hurricane season until November. I wouldn't worry about that too much though, we don't usually get that many hurricane threats late in the season.

For dropzones, you can go to Z-hills, Sebastian, Lake Wales or DeLand. If you go over to Z-hills, I recommend your family visit Bush Gardens nearby in Tampa, that's a fun park. In the Orlando area, my teens say Islands of Adventure has the best roller coasters, it's the only park they bought season passes for.

Don't forget the wind tunnel. Even if your wife doesn't skydive, I bet she'd love that since she likes roller coasters.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Also Sebastian is 1.5 hrs from Orlando, great vibes, great people. I agree with Andrea on Islands of Adventure, fantastic place!!!!! The Hulk and Dueling Dragons are two AWESOME Roller coasters. Also You must go on Spiderman, its not a rollercoaster, but I can guarantee you too loose your tummy, and have a few oh shit moments. Ive rode it several times and it still gives me those reactions....

Thanks - that's useful. Hurricane season concerns me a little - we were there for Charlie a couple of years back, and the only positive side to that is that we got to ride Dueling Dragons and the Hulk 6 times each within about 3 hours.

The wind tunnel is quite appealing actually - I might get her some tunnel time here before we go so that we can fly together over there :)

Thanks a lot for the advice!

I'm guessing spiderman must be new? I can't remember riding that when we were last there, but then, hulk and dueling dragons wrecked my stomach.

Sebastian looks nice - I might be ready for my downsize by then, so I could get some good use out of demoing a PD canopy.

How are they about low passes ? I don't mind paying full fare, but I want to do a load of hop and pops if possible.

They're fine with low passes. Regularly get people doing hop and pops.

If you're after a Demo you should contact Rpb Stevenson. He runs the PD demo program at the DZ and can arrange it for you nearer the time.

D

Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can do today

Can anyone please advise whether late September / early October is a good time to visit Florida with regards to winds and other weather issues.

Hurricane Jeanne did quite a job on the city of Sebastian in late September, 2004.

It is entirely possible that it happened only because I was living there though, so assign whatever weight you'd like to the above statement.