rgbnz

World's Highest Tandem Skydive

I am going to attempt to break the world record for the world's highest tandem skydive! I was going to do it in the middle of Auckland but the council wouldnt allow it. Instead Im going to do it in Taupo which allready has the worlds largest commercial tandem dropzone.

The drop is going to be roughly 39,000-40,000 ft!

The problem is I don't have anybody to do it with. If anybody is up for it give me an email [email protected]

I'm pretty sure that'll do it. I believe the world record was done out of Mullins' King Air and that Fast Eddie Grantland was the TM. Don't remember the height though.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

sounds really really cold to meee

Fuck yeah... I did one from 23,000 feet in early August more than a decade ago. Felt like bitter old man winter to me. :S:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Not to rain on anyones party, but I suggest you do some asking around as I am confident there are several different military units that have already "been there, done that" quite some time ago.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Actually the world record was acheived by the South African Armed Forces in a training excercise. The Jump was about 35,000ft or something

Okay then I bet Fast Eddie still holds the CIVILIAN record. :P

Not to rain on anyones party, but I suggest you do some asking around as I am confident there are several different military units that have already "been there, done that" quite some time ago.

Sure, but was the jump done with an overweight, out of shape TI who just chain smoked 1/2 a pack of filterless camels and is really hung over from the night before while taking a middle aged wanna be whuffo who has "never been in a plane this small" before?

:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm pretty sure that'll do it. I believe the world record was done out of Mullins' King Air and that Fast Eddie Grantland was the TM. Don't remember the height though.

I'm thinking you are right, and I have an email in to Eddie to ask him. I'm thinking we asked for clearance to 38 K. Don't know if they went that high or not.
Don't forget there was a dog tandem that went about that high too. I wonder how Cara is doing.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Billy,

There have been many Tandems made at West Tennessee Skydiving from Mike Mullins Super King Air at 30,000' with numerous Tandem Instructors including Jeff Mullins, Joel Mullins, Kevin Holbrook, Ben Crowell, and others. All of these Tandems have been with first jump tandem students. The Tandem with Fast Eddie was at a lower altitude.

The aircraft is capable of going much higher but we are limited to a maximum of 30,000' by the maximum certified altitude restriction in the FAA Approved Flight Manual.

We have never claimed any of these as a "world record" as I simply do not know if there have been higher. i do know that we have done more Tandems from 30,000' than anyone and I do certainly know that the claims from two other "unnamed" drop zones that they do the "worlds highest tandems from 18,000' " and the "worlds highest jumps from 18,000' " are simply untrue hype that they insist on propagating even after they have been informed of the truth.

Such is the present state of skydiving that outright lies are accepted as "advertising".

Mike Mullins
West Tennessee Skydiving
http://www.SkydiveKingAir.com

I did my jump from 30,200 feet. That is how high Mike Mullins told me it was. As far as I know, that is as high as anyone has ever done a tandem WITHOUT OXYGEN. Fast Eddie

Eddie,

Just to clarify, you were supplied with oxygen on the aircraft. You did not use oxygen in freefall (which you found was not a wise choice). Yes, this is the highest I know of a Tandem without freefall oxygen and before everyone goes ballistic over endangering a tandem student, the passenger was an experienced jumper.

Mike

I did my jump from 30,200 feet. That is how high Mike Mullins told me it was. As far as I know, that is as high as anyone has ever done a tandem WITHOUT OXYGEN. Fast Eddie

No bail out bottles from 30,000? Didn't have much of a back up plan if something went wrong did you?[:/] (90 second of useful consciousness)

Mike, thanks for the clarifications. I really did think Eddie had the highest tandem and I saw the video. I didn't know several others including your sons had done it too.

As far as claiming a world record, you're right, it would be hard to verify it.

So.... when's your next 30,000 feet ride and how much will it cost? ;)

Mike, thanks for the clarifications. I really did think Eddie had the highest tandem and I saw the video. I didn't know several others including your sons had done it too.

Forget to post the answers? :P

Billy,

Just for clarification on altitude, the jumps previously in question were actually done from FL300 (Flight Level 300) which indicates 30,000' on the aircraft altimeter with the barometric pressure of 29.92" set in the aircraft altimeter. Unless the barometric pressure at the time of jump is actually 29.92", the actual altitude of the jump above sea level will be different, which is why Eddie's tandem jump was from 30,200' above sea level but made at FL300. That is why we have been able to make jumps as high as 30,500' above sea level at still the same FL300.

A couple of years ago, the FAA adopted RVSM (Reduced Vertical Separation Minimums) which changed the vertical separation of aircraft at FL290 and above from 2,000' to 1,000'. Along with this change came mandated altimetry and autopilot equipment that is expensive and not available for the King Air 90 series aircraft. There is not even a hint of interest in manufacturing this equipment as stock King Air 90's never operate this high, nor can they even get this high on a practical basis.

We still are able to do jumps from FL300 at some locations, most notably Rantoul at the WFFC. However, at West Tennessee Skydiving in Memphis we are, at this time, limited to FL280 although we are working on authorization to go to FL300. So, if you come to Memphis, the jump will be from FL280.

The FL280 jump costs $350 and all training and equipment is supplied by Kevin Holbrook from HaloJumper.com. The next jump is scheduled for Sunday, June 1st, with a weather date of Monday, June 2nd.

Mike Mullins