andybr6

Going solo to AZ easter boogie

Hi,

I am considering going to the Arizona easter boogie next month but I would be travelling on my own. I would be coming from England and I don't know of anyone else going out at the same time. I was hoping that anyone who had gone on their own before could share their experiences? I really want to go to get a good 50 or so jumps and an hour or so in the tunnel but don't want to be stuck doing solo's for the week. I have 280 jumps mostly Head up freefly.

All advice would be appreciated.

Andy

------------------------------------------------

"All men can fly, but sadly, only in one direction"

Well, I'm an RWer, but I went on my own last year to the Easter boogie and didn't do a single solo. In fact, I don't think I've ever done a solo jump at Eloy. (Well, I guess the sunset cross-country jumps would count as solos, but I digress). I'll let the freefliers chime in on the organizing on the freefly side, but it's been my experience that it's quite easy to connect with organizers there on the RW side.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I would want to really progress with my free flying focusing on head up. I have not actually booked anything yet as although I am keen to go I have never travelled on my own to a boogie before and have never been to eloy so that is causing a little apprehension.

Can't give you specific advice as I've only done RW there, but there's almost always at least one freefly organizer around - just ask at manifest. If you're looking more for some coach jumps, I'd call ahead and ask. I'm sure some people who've done freeflying there will chime in. If you have any non-jump related questions about going there solo feel free to PM me.

Here's my take on Eloy - if you're not shy, you won't have any trouble finding people to jump with. It's such a busy DZ that if you're just hanging around waiting for someone to come to you, it's possible to slip through the cracks but if you're willing to go up to manifest and say "hey, can you point me to the LOs" you'll have jump buddies in no time (plus, there's usually people running around with t-shirts that indicate they're organizers). The Easter Boogie is a smaller boogie than the Holiday boogie, so it's a lot easier to connect with people, and the overall atmosphere is a little less chaotic, so it's going to be easier to talk to the organizers and get matched up with the right group. The bunkhouse is a decent choice of accommodation if you don't mind sharing with (potentially) a bunch of others (though last year at the boogie it was half empty).

As for tunnel - if you've not done freefly in the tunnel before, be aware you'll be starting on your belly - might want to get in touch with the tunnel folks to talk through the progression so you're aware of how it might go depending on how fast or slow you progress (and if you have done freefly in the tunnel - you might want to ask them what type of documentation of your experience they might need before they let you freefly there ... I don't know a lot about how all that works).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I do RW and have always had my pick of Airspeed members to play with. That said Gasson took me on a FF jumps (LMAO that was fun) and there are tons of FFers there. When you get there ask at manifest and they will gladly hook you up. Don't be shy and you will be amazed.

Tell Bets HI while you are there. She will look after you for sure.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

I would want to really progress with my free flying focusing on head up.

If you are really serious about this, then contact one of the FF coaches. You can book a day or 2 of 1 on 1 jumps. It will be well worth your while if you really want to progess. Call the DZ or look up the website for info http://www.skydiveaz.com/_experienced_data/exp_coach.html

The list of coaches is pretty close to accurate: Ash has moved on, but the rest of them are still doing one or 2 jumps a week ;). Omar is also a local and I am sure you can dig his email from somewhere. If not, let me know, i can ask Gasson...

I'd say book weekdays with the coahes. This will leave the weekends open for fun jumping when there are more people around.

Eloy has a pretty good balance of RW and FF jumpers, so you should be able to get quite a few jumps in, and not just solos.
Remster

Thanks for all the advice folks. I think I am just finding the prospect of going to a large DZ on my own a bit daunting. There is nothing in the UK that approaches Eloy in terms of size...

There is nothing in the UK that approaches Eloy in terms of size...

Dont sweat that. There arent many DZ anywhere in the world that approach Eloy (we now have 5 Skyvans, 3 Otters, the Beech, King Air, Porter, DC3, and probably one or 2 I am forgetting! lol)

In the end, its only a DZ. Make sure to ask manifest for a full breifing, look at a couple of loads lands to get a better idea, and dont be afraid to ask if you have questions.

I cant find it, but if someone with superior searh skilz ;-) can find the post about surviving a large boogies someone did a while ago, there are great tips in it.

Plus, the Easter boogie is pretty low key...
Remster

lots of jumpers go alone. ill be there from march 13th till the 21st. i prefer to go alone. you do more different jumps than going with your crew from the home dz. plus it makes you more outgoing to meet more people. some i met 7 years ago my first trip there and have been good mates ever since. just go. i too have never done a solo there and have 3-400 jumps at eloy.
>