Here's a rundown of my trip:
Days attended: Tuesday- Sunday
Jumps made: 22
FREE jumps made: 5
Balloon Jump: 1
Helli Jump: 1
CASA Jumps: 12
Otter Jumps: 8

Was I the only one who was walking around like a zombie in the 106 temperature? I'm surprised any of us were able to function in that kind of heat. Putting on a jumpsuit and getting into the CASA that the FAA had baking in the sun for an hour was like stepping into an oven.

Everyone trooped it up, that is everyone except for Dangeroo. Although she was cute, she made up some sort of "I don't have a rig so I can't skydive" story. Like you need a parachute to skydive. That's just silly :P

SCR's went well, I think there was about 17 initiates. I got my SCS too :)
Now I'm just waiting on all the pictures to surface of the ceremony. Jay, "thanks" for icing down the beer. I was freezing my ass off, but it was still fun. I'll certainly never forget it, OR drink the beast again. Ever.

It was glad to meet so many DZ.commers. We actually had an SCR load where there were 12 people who post on here. Nice!

Is it just me, or did anyone else dramatically improve their skydiving at Skyfest? So many people donated their time and jumps to help others. It was incredible. Between the free canopy control course and the SCR dives, I am now easily a much better, and safer skydiver. Thanks to all the experienced people who took the time to help out the new guys. We REALLY appreciate it.

Anyway, it was awesome to meet everyone. I will definitely be back next year!

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

Was I the only one who was walking around like a zombie in the 106 temperature? I'm surprised any of us were able to function in that kind of heat. Putting on a jumpsuit and getting into the CASA that the FAA had baking in the sun for an hour was like stepping into an oven.

Hell no you weren't. I felt like a whiny little bitch that just wanted to sneak into someones RV and cower into a ball of despair. Heat I can take, humidity just sucks. I'm glad I wasn't the only one that was miserable. :D

Anyway, I wanted to post this on here. I found a newscast of the event on YouTube for anyone that hasn't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWA-7dyBZew&eurl=http://chrisgrooms.net/myblog/2008/06/07/skyfest-2008-skydive-carolina/

BTW, James/SDC... can we get a helicopter on the weekends? I'll just jump THAT from now on.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Iceing down the Beer was my Pleasure.
If it makes you feel any better here is a picture from my SCR a couple years ago. You maggots got off waaaaay too easy.;)

We were short of Pourer’s. (Anyone else notice some USPA official types helping with the pouring?)
NEXT year.. Now that we have 17 or so new SCR Holders (Actually we have more new SCR Holders than that but only those that have been poured on may actually Pour) to help welcome next years maggots.

I think the SCR Award is a great Tradition and Hope we can revive this great part of skydiving history here on the east coast.

Everyone PLEASE make sure to display your trophies proudly!

On behalf of all the staff at Skydive Carolina - thanks for coming out to SkyFest....we had a blast meeting some amazing people from all over the US and several countries abroad.

I really would like to shower serious applause to the manufacturers that played a HUGE role in the successful outcome of this event. Please consider these folks when purchasing as they gave so much especially on the free loads and the gear auction:

On the skydiving side:

Alti-2
EG Sky
FlexVision
Freefall Photo
Gatorz
Liquid Sky Sports
Mirage Systems
Paraclete XP
Performance Designs
Skydive Carolina
SkyVenture Colorado
Strong Enterprises
SunPath Products
Ulster County Containers (UC-3)
UPT

Locally, we had great support from Sunshine Recycling and Sunshine Steel, CaroNet, The Olde English District, Florence Honda and the watering hole for the Rodriguez Brothers - Dilworth Billiards!

I have so many thoughts running through my head from the week that made it so amazing. As always in this sport, it's about the people. This week was an amazing reminder of why I love this sport and the community....Some highlights of the people I met were: Andy (PopsJumper) who really looks like his avatar, Amazon (yep, I got her hug at the beginning of the week; what a great spirit), Sonic from UC3 with his ever present positive vibe, Eric Deren who had a permanent smile throughout the entire event even after breaking his hand, Kolla from PD who has an aura of brightness about her that makes one want to smile, and lastly but not least - Jimmy Tavino. Jimmy was amazing from giving his time volunteering and keeping DZ staff watered, to giving away balloon tickets that he purchased - a gentleman personified.

I hope everyone had a tremendous time. We've already had a post mortem on the event with a long list of how we can do things better next time.

Finally, I must thank our amazing staff, pilots and volunteers for their extraordinary efforts over the week. When it was all said and done, our staff logged 125 hours during the week of SkyFest and left feeling happy and fulfilled by the great energy and vibes from all of you. Thank you to J Schrimsher for choosing Skydive Carolina to call home during 2008.
Don't Miss CarolinaFest 2012!
http://www.carolinafestboogie.com
May 29 - June 3, 2012

right back at you James.....

what a wonderful, WONDERFUL time...B|:)
you folks are the BEST... what a great crew..

so many memories,
so many new friends
so many fun jumps...

Allie Deserved a chance to enjoy a balloon jump as did Bill and Nick who made their First ones.....at the boogie...

my Gift to Allie, for her pleasantness, smile and dedication to Sky Fest. All the staff
get a big " way to go".... from Dan monitoring
the fuel area with Blazing turbine exhaust to contend with,[:/][:/] to Annette, always on the go and Never forgetting anything....smiling all the while, to Avery capably tooling around on the mini electric bike, what a nice nice family...

now, in truth,,
i DID swap casa tickets with the guys, so I did receive something,,, in return..;). ( kudos to Gary Rau for helping to make that happen )

Nancy and i , drove for 14 hours on sunday to return to
"real life".... but every minute of that trip was spent re-living the fun fun times Had...
@ SkyFest.....
glad no-one melted.....the availabilty of ICE was crucial,,, thanks so much to Dales' Dive In for that, and to all the vendors and food folks, for grace, patience, and high quality...

It was fun being a part of some of the SCR dives, and the Muff Bros. ' hoop dives.
PopsJumper, Gary M. and TSpeed were welcoming and gracious...

meeting and greeting people,
re aquainting with old friends and connecting with new friends... wow... just great.
thanks for everything
now i understand your user name.B|;):)

anyway... lots to do today.

gotta go. more later

jmy
Night SCR 1817
SCR 6190
SCS 4876

And Jimmy! We can't fail to mention Jimmy's hidden talent as a stand-up poetry comedian! Thanks for entertaining us all on Saturday night when we heard J say "and now for a poem" (admit it, we all secretly cringed a little)... but then we were pleasantly surprised by Jimmy's raucous tale of the first 10-way! That was awesome.

:D:D:D

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

What a great time with great people and great skydives.
I met a good amount of .commers there.
I got an Amazon hug, and she spanked my ass:P

Big Thanks!!! to J and James and everyone else at Skydive Carolina!!

It's been awhile, but the balloon jump actually had me scared to let go for a few seconds. That was totally Awesome, and those balloon guys were great.

Fuck the Rodriguez brothers and their tequilla!!!! :P

I had some of the most successful skydives I've had in a long time, thanks to organizers and of course the others on the dives with me.

Sure the heat was crazy, but what are you gonna do?

C-ya next year!!;):)

Skymama's #2 stalker -

We did set that state record for head down formation at a ten way. We went for sequential but had problems completing some of the points. Still though, we got our ten way. Thanks to Eric Deren for putting that together. Here is a pic:

http://www.tonyhathaway.com/fotoserv/preview_large.php4?event=1242008/170June&image=060708-07.jpg

You can see me in the back right :$
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

I am currently sitting herre in Douglas airport waiting for my return flight to a 52 degree Seattle.:)
Thank you ever so much for making this a fun, safe and rewarding skydiving experience. The job you did for us in the International Speed Skydiving World Cup was amazing and overall a wonderful experience. I really do appreciate the work that you and the DZO's and your staff did to make this a great boogie to attend.

J......what can I say man.... YOU RAWK.... it was indeed a pleasure working with you and gittin it dun..... for those of us in the World Cup.

Thanks to all the manufacturers and reps and sponsors for bringing your wares for everyone ... and providing the free slots for so many people. I have NEVER seen that before at a boogie...that is just phenomenal.

Thanks to all those who paid it skyward and organized.... and jumped with the new people and who introduced and passed on your experience to the next generation of skydivers.
Jimmy...what a gentleman...and a great guy...thanks for coming and givin g of yourself and your time.

TO all those who I got to meet and give a little hug and a pat to....thanks.... and anytime we meet.. just say.. HEY...... wheres my hug.

To my fellow speeders.... what a great crew.... while we only had 8 competitors it was a pleasure meeting those of you who took the time to come over from Britain, Sweden, and Switzerland. We had 3 new speeders give it a try... and a whole bunch of others who said they would try but did not.....come on.....feel the speed....the rush of traveling at the ground faster than in any other sport.

Also a big congrats goes out to Jessy Olsen... the brand new speeder who now has set the Canadian Womens record at 314.70 KPH (195.50MPH) in her verry first competition.:)
To those of you on DIZZY DOT COM who were there and I did not meet and give an Amazon hug to......its your own darn fault.....if you dont let me know who you are.... get over that shyness and come introduce yourselves[:/]

I have to say...I met Amazon...I got my hug...and it was the best part of the whole damned boogie for me!!!!!

Thank you AMAZON!!!!
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

I have to say...I met Amazon...I got my hug...and it was the best part of the whole damned boogie for me!!!!!

Thank you AMAZON!!!!

You're just saying that because you can skip your next 3 chiro appointments now... :P
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Thank you AMAZON!!!!

Hmmmm I think everyone should have had their names prominently shown :|:P

Hmmm do we need dropzone.com name badge t-shirts for the boogies?
Muff Brother #4026
Loco Zapatos Rodriguez
SCR #14793

Mens

Christian Labhardt OB OB 451.94 426.58 OB 470.45 449.66 449.66
Stan Snigir 416.84 403.45 407.39 392.79 433.70 425.77 425.44 425.44
Fredrik von Schmalemnsee OB 412.99 392.62 OB OB 426.21 410.61 410.61
Peter Warren OB 370.50 OB 378.83 OB 368.51 372.61 372.61
Womens
Jeanne Cameron 349.50 401.36 414.37 349.46 421.81 376.33 412.51 412.51

Jessy Olsen 285.21 314.7 Canadian Womens record

* New American Womens record

Thanks to everyone at Skydive Carolina. Definitely one of the best dropzone's that I've been to - all the way around. That goes for facilities, hospitality, dropzone layout, safety, grounds, beer, food concession, and manifest office. You guys really rock the sport. It was fun to have the opportunity to teach a lot of freeflying to the local jumpers - and visiting jumpers alike. I hope to visit again and see everyone soon.

-Dave C :)