ryan_d_sucks

Indiana University

I've been working feverishly to find other jumpers here at IU- Bloomington. Do any of you exist? Anyone know someone who jumps that goes to IU? I can't seem to find more than 1. I want to start an IU skydiving club, but I'd like to find some already skydivers to have a solid base for starting it.

Ryan

I didnt think any other skydivers existed at Auburn either, then I looked harder and found one with a D- license and 700 jumps, oh and hes 19. Look around and you might be amazed at what you find.
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way."
- Homer Simpson

As much as I hate IU right now (for college basketball related reasons--I went to Illinois), I'll throw in my 2 cents (maybe it will help).

If you start one, you may want to contact the Falling Illini for pointers as to how they run things, or maybe the guys from Purdue....that may make start-up easier for you. When I was in the Falling Illini, we were kind of disorganized, but that was a long time ago so maybe they can help you....I gotta imagine that the more organized and 'professional' you are, the better your chances of convincing the powers-that-be that you're not nuts for trying to organize a skydiving club. Also, if you have a DZ in mind, they might be able to help you with student discounts and just general information to pass on to the people you're trying to recruit.

Good luck!

There was a club. Falling Hoosiers if I remember right. Talk to Bob D. and he may be able to direct you to the person who ran the IU Club. (I am 99% sure he still jumps at Greensburg)

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

Hey Ryan, I think I've talked to you briefly about this before. If you're really serious about putting something together (I'm pretty sure the previous club is no longer functioning) let me know and I'll see what I can do. I'll be finishing up in May so I won't be here that much longer but I'd love to help out if there is anything I can do. Go IU!

PS I think we're gonna be making snow jumps this weekend out at Wayne County. Should be fun.

Getting a club going is a lot of work but can be very rewarding when it pays off. I took over the University of Florida Falling Gators club back in 2005. We had 4 members at that time. Right now we have about 30 active jumpers, and a couple dozen not-so-active ones. If you need advice on promotions or dealing with student government, don't hesitate to PM me. Good luck!

Jared Lee
Cohete Rodriguez / Team Dirty Sanchez #74
Former President, UF Falling Gators