CSpenceFLY

The 5th Annual RoamingDZ.com St. Patricks Day Celebration Boogie,March 14-17th, Hosted by The Jumping Place: St.Marys,Georgia

Ah, yes, Spring on the Georgia coast... Some folks mark the season by flowers' blooms. Others by the movements of birds. Still others by the spawning runs of fishes - sea trout, red drum, striped bass. But those of us who have lived here, left, and returned, we tend to mark the season by the appearance of biting insects.

First come the noseeums. Marsh midges. Little specs of pain without warning. Second come the skeeters. Bloodsuckers that fly slow as cane syrup pours, but somehow, most will escape the swatting of the afflicted. Third come the smaller horseflies. Fast, furious, and thirsty. While you are smacking at the one biting your forehead, it's moved on to bite your ear. Next come the yellow deer flies. They're just like the small horseflies, only yellow and more plentiful. Some years, the two types swap places in order of appearance. Finally come the large horseflies. Scary big. As a youth, I swear that I could see the red pools of blood swelling in the divots they left in my flesh.

Still, I wouldn't trade the salt marshes, winding creeks, crooked rivers, and 'dirty surf' of the Georgia coast for a Hawaiian paradise. It gets into your blood even more than the noxious insects - the salt air, the hoary oaks, the spanish moss and woodbine, the briny oysters, boiled blue crabs, sweet shrimp, and fresh fish, the mild winters, and hot, humid summers when a patch of shade, a gentle breeze, and a cold drink make all the difference.

Yes, my beloved kin, I will meet you for martinis at 5:00 Thursday evening. After that night, if the skies are fair and the winds are favorable, I will be at the airfield, jumping out of airplanes with like-minded folks.

Yeah, I'll bring plenty of that alabama perfume. And I'll probably still tent camp. :P Just trying to paraphrase that long rambling description of the GA swamp. :ph34r:

Hey, John wants to know if he'll be "allowed" to do hop and pops at the boogie. He just got a new line set and wants to do some H&P's before taking them to terminal.

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

So you're saying I should plan on getting a hotel instead of tent camping. Thanks for the info. :D

The Mossies aren't as bad as the sand fleas can be. They're like microscopic chiwawas biting your ankles as you walk thru the field :D

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

Oh, my dear! If you want a swamp, why the Okefenokee is just up the road a piece. The coastal marshes are a unique and invaluable ecosystem (to borrow a newfangled word). They are nothing like a swamp.

Don't fret, hon. You'll learn in time. All folks from above the drop off are innocent of these things.

To step out of character for a minute... Try camping the first night. If it doesn't suit you, retreat to nearby lodgings.

"Going home" to the coast brings a flood of memories to me that are generations deep, echoing back to the days before air conditioning, when conversation and story telling were well practiced and appreciated. Genteel folk indulged in less strenuous past times during the long hot summers. Speaking casually was as artful as oratory.

Attempting to capture this in written words and convey it to you, my fellow travelers, is a challenge with long odds. In these times of texting shorthand, blunt phrases, and casual profanity, my cause is likely lost like yelps of glee in freefall.

Trust me in this - I do not lapse into loquaciousness during dirt dives. I can speak plainly and to the point with a modicum of words. We shall have fun jumping together.

[An aside: You may note how seldom I post to these forums.]

What about parking? There's only small parking near a hangar for crowds. Is there extra anywhere?

The fire station is just to the south of the hanger which is where most vehicles park. I will call Cathy today and find out then post where the overflow will be. That area in general is very large before the drainage ditch. I'll let ya know.;)

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!